Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:39 PM

253 posts, read 795,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

I get the sense that you are not disciplined enough to qualify for the best school that you can get into.

If you don't do as your father says, and try to qualify yourself to get into the best school that you can, you will be paying for that mistake for the rest of your life. Get a clue.

Qualify for what school? What are you talking about? I'm not trying to qualify for any school. And i'm not being lazy. Online school is just 100x better than public school. You know, it's very hard to concentrate and learn when there are 25 kids in a classroom and we all work at different paces. For example: i'm great at math. Other aren't. Which is fine but not when it's inhibiting my ability to learn. I'm tired of having to go so slow just because other people can't keep up. Maybe you should get a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
If you haven't actually been in online school yet, you can't know that it is '100x better' than public school.

There is value in participating in group activities--discussions, problem solving, etc. They help solidify knowledge and illuminate issues that you may not even realize you didn't fully understand or comprehend. Repetition is enormously valuable too. Just because you 'get it' on the first example doesn't mean there isn't value in sitting through an entire hour's lesson. 'Challenging' doesn't have to mean 'online' and if your teachers honestly thought you were capable of more challenging curriculum, they would have offered it to you already.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Qualify for what school? What are you talking about? I'm not trying to qualify for any school. And i'm not being lazy. Online school is just 100x better than public school. You know, it's very hard to concentrate and learn when there are 25 kids in a classroom and we all work at different paces. For example: i'm great at math. Other aren't. Which is fine but not when it's inhibiting my ability to learn. I'm tired of having to go so slow just because other people can't keep up. Maybe you should get a clue.
If you're ahead of your classmates sign up for Honors or AP classes. Right now is the schedule making season for next year in high school.
Click on the following links. Complete the self-assessments.

MarylandOnline - Prospective Students - Assessments - Do I Have the Technical Skills? (http://marylandonline.org/assessments/tech_savvy - broken link)

MarylandOnline - Students - Successful Online Student Checklist

LEARNING STYLES:Find out in 2 minutes

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
You know folks, there is nothing that mintleif has said that makes me think that he/she is lazy. You guys are all making an assumption that ML wants to sleep in every day, when in fact maybe it's just a case of wanting to concentrate on studies rather than the crazy and unhealthy social scene that so many high schools are caught up in. Not all teenagers are lazy bums you know and I can think of few jobs that require you to work in a room with 20-30 other people, all almost exactly your age, and it's a good thing b/c I don't know many adults who would put up with that.

I agree with most of you that online courses might not be the answer, but there are many other ways to learn besides online courses. Also, mintleif, at your age, you may be able to sign up for some courses at a community college--math might be a class you'd want to do at CC with a teacher--that way you'd have help if you need it. My recommendation, if you can get this one ok'ed with your dad, is to take the basic courses you need, like English and math, either online or thru a CC , and then follow your bliss by reading everything that interests you in the other subjects. You might want to get an ACT or SAT test booklet to make sure that you're covering your basics and try to remedy your weak points, but I think it would be more important to strengthen your strong points. I tend to believe that a self education is in no way inferior to a school one, and in many cases is superior. The reason I believe this is b/c I remember much better the things I've read on my own, than anything I ever learned in high school or college. Also, my reading tends to take a natural path--I get interested in something, and one book just naturally follows another, whereas when I was in school, the book might have been excellent, but it wasn't what I needed when I needed it. Are you a reader mintleif?

Mintleif, one of the problems your dad might have with this is that he's wondering what you would do with yourself all day while your folks are at work. Or he's wondering if this will make a lot of extra work for them or how to hold you accountable. You'll need to address these issues with him and put them in your plan that you present to him. One thing you could do is to try to get into some kind of internship or day job that is headed in the career direction you wish to follow, and you just might be able to get this to fly. You've got the summer to make your plan so good luck and feel free to send me a DM if you need to--you can direct your dad to me also.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
There is really no quick wa to finish high school....It would be in your best interest to stay in a facility then if you like to go to college there are many colleges that can teach you online.

My ex-manager finished his PhD online with exceptions, of course. Course work could be completed in the comfort of his home and online courses are difficult if the student lacks time management.
What kind of a PhD was that? I find that hard to believe. Of course, for the most part PhD work is research after you've taken all your classwork, but that's more than just surfing the web.

My daughter has taken some college classes online, and they are by no means "work at your own pace". You may get to choose which 10 hours a week you're going to devote to school, but you're still putting in time. She had to go to a testing center to take her tests as well, at times determined by the college.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Mintleif said accelerated pace folks. I can't believe that I'm on here having to defend teenagers guys, but you really don't listen. I made sure my 18 yo daughter knows that I'm doing this for you mintleif.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Well, turns out we're moving up north this summer. I guess I'll go ahead and give the high school up there a try. I still feel I'll be held back a little though. The school up there only has 380 kids verses my school now that has over 2,000, so they're a little behind on advanced class availabilty, which sucks.

Also, does anyone know what would happen if certain credits don't transfer? For example, I've taken French 1 and 2 as well as NJROTC, which that school up there doesn't offer. They only have Spanish and they have no JROTC class. Will my credits still be accepted or will I have to redo them? I'll be more than a little peeved if they don't accept my French credits. I hate learning new languages and I worked hard for the grades I got in those to get into a university.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 AM

Whether your credits transfer will depend on which state you're moving to and also which school district.
Usually, note I said usually, credits will transfer in a straight line: ie., if your French was full year and where you're going is full year the credit will transfer. If the system offers JROTC in one of the schools you'll get the credit (this is an issue in smaller districts with only one or two high schools such as in much of PA). Where you might have issues is if your current schools offers a class, say Civics/Gov't., as a semester class and your destination school has it as a full year.
If you earned a credit, say of French, in 8th grade and got French II in 9th that might create an issue, also. Same with Algebra I.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I just re-read and saw your new school doesn't offer French. At your new school you need to get with the Guidance folks ASAP and figure things out. If the French doesn't count you might be able to file an appeal with the school board or take it to the next level to the state.
Keep in mind that states typically set graduation requirements and the local schools implement them and usually are allowed to toughen but not weaken them locally.
My school doesn't offer Latin but if we get a kid with Latin credits it counts. Then again my system has 22 high schools and a couple or three offer it. MD graduation requirements recognize it. I just had a student move from VA with 3 years of it and it counts for her.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just re-read and saw your new school doesn't offer French. At your new school you need to get with the Guidance folks ASAP and figure things out. If the French doesn't count you might be able to file an appeal with the school board or take it to the next level to the state.
Keep in mind that states typically set graduation requirements and the local schools implement them and usually are allowed to toughen but not weaken them locally.
My school doesn't offer Latin but if we get a kid with Latin credits it counts. Then again my system has 22 high schools and a couple or three offer it. MD graduation requirements recognize it. I just had a student move from VA with 3 years of it and it counts for her.

Why would you try and be helpful on this thread but be rude to me on another? I don't get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education