Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 04:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A 12-year-old US schoolgirl is suing the New York City authorities for $1m (£650,000) in damages after she was arrested for writing on her desk.

BBC News - US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Dumb lawsuit, dumb reaction on the part of the school. Has society really come to this? Where schools call in the police to deal with petty vandalism worthy of maybe a detention, and where students and their parents feel the only way to protest is through the courts?

The school was way out of line on this one, but to turn around and sue for that kind of damage is also excessive.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 AM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
someone's feeling rather ambitious

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Dumb lawsuit, dumb reaction on the part of the school. Has society really come to this? Where schools call in the police to deal with petty vandalism worthy of maybe a detention, and where students and their parents feel the only way to protest is through the courts?

The school was way out of line on this one, but to turn around and sue for that kind of damage is also excessive.
I have to wonder how many times the girl was caught defacing school property before she was hauled out of the school. If she did this anywhere else, the response would have been the same. If she wrote on a wall of a building, they'd call the police.

While I think suspension or detention would have been a better option, I have to wonder why the school felt they had to go to this length. Was this a daily occurance with the girl? Had they tried to deal with it before? A bit overboard, yes but sometimes, overboard works.

When my step son was picked up for B&E at 14, I told them to lock him up overnight and give him bread and water for dinner. Unfortunately, they told me they'd file abandonment charges if I didn't come get him. Sadly, scaring the bejeebers out of him then might have worked. Instead he learned that he could get away with just about anything.

My grandfather had my uncle arrested (back in the day when police worked with parents) and locked up for 24 hours over a stolen candy bar. Worked like a charm. I suppose my uncle could sue grandpa today.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
If being arrested for defacing school property is worth $1 million due to stress, I have a few parents and students I need to sue for causing me undue stress. Anyone know a good lawyer?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,862 times
Ridiculous lawsuit. The school should not have arranged the arrest, but as others have said, she may have had a history. There also may have been a chronic issue with graffiti/vandalism in the school and kids may have been warned that there was a zero tolerance policy.

But I bet this brat walks away with something while city school budgets are cut like crazy.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Lawyers have to earn a living too, y'know!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
CNN reported that the girl had never been in trouble before; their report framed this as an example of zero tolerance trumping common sense.

It also sounded like the primary concern was the use of handcuffs; apparently there have been a couple of other incidents where handcuffs were used in similar cases.

I hope the student drops the lawsuit, the school reevaluates their policies, and everyone uses a little common sense in the future.

Speaking of common sense, I remember when the school I was working at over the summer had to deal with graffiti in the bathrooms; the district refused to spend money to repaint until right before the regular school started (which is understandable), but refused to let summer school staff or teachers put on any paint themselves, as it was against union regulations. I'm all for union rights and all of that, but this was a program for elementary kids held at a high school; we ended up taping paper on the doors to cover the worst of the profanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education