Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of integrating the 2 first years of college to public High School?
Definitely Yes! 7 21.21%
Yes, It might work. 4 12.12%
I don't care 1 3.03%
No, I dont think it would work 8 24.24%
Definitely No! 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

409 posts, read 2,633,880 times

Advertisements

How would you like for the first two years of college to be integrated to High School? There could be many ways of doing this but one that I could think of is just having one or two (optional) additional year(s) of High School that could grant you an associate's degree in say General Engineering/General Business Management/General Science.

Doing this could prepare all our children to have a better idea of what they want to do with their lives and at the same time reduce the already TOO-HIGH cost of Education.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM

442 posts, read 965,201 times
Actually they already do that here in this town. At Southern Utah Univeristy the high school is on campus and the kids attend thier high school and actual college classes. They come out with(Success Academy) an associates degree I beleive emphasis in math and science.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
How would you like for the first two years of college to be integrated to High School? There could be many ways of doing this but one that I could think of is just having one or two (optional) additional year(s) of High School that could grant you an associate's degree in say General Engineering/General Business Management/General Science.

Doing this could prepare all our children to have a better idea of what they want to do with their lives and at the same time reduce the already TOO-HIGH cost of Education.

What do you think?
Isn't that the purpose of 2 year community colleges?

Yes, where I live high school seniors can take classes that give them both college credits and credits for high school graduation. Good idea (IMHO)

However, -------there is no free lunch

Many K-12 school districts are already short of money and many property tax payers are maxed out.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:08 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,875 times
Quote:
Originally posted by antreidi

What do you think?

Actually, I work in such a school in North Carolina. Personally I think it's a great idea--although at my school, the students have to apply, so it's not open to all. Still, it's a great concept that attracts driven kids (more or less)

Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM

150 posts, read 91,394 times
I don't think it would work because of it would be two more years taxpayers have to pay for (assuming it is public), and I wouldn't really want to have 6 years of high school-just seems too long.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15fresh View Post
I don't think it would work because of it would be two more years taxpayers have to pay for (assuming it is public), and I wouldn't really want to have 6 years of high school-just seems too long.

I agree .
When funding for K-12 is a problem , why expand it ?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
I homeschool my children, and I expect that by the time they are 18, they will have completed a year or two of community college (or an apprenticeship/tech school/etc, depending on what their goals are). For those on the college track, I think it's a great idea. I don't think it should be required, though.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Yeah...where is the money for this going to come from? And I'll echo the other person who said that the whole point of community colleges is just what you describe. (And I was able to take as many CC classes as I wanted in high school).

So from me, it's an emphatic no. There's a lot of stuff that needs fixed with our current education system, but adding more years to it isn't going to help.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post

What do you think?

I think that students who are capable should be able to take college courses during high school as they do in my area now. There is no point in making a student who is clearly capable of much more to sit through classes and yawn - they need challenge IMHO.

That said, one of the reasons that this is being piloted in my state is because of the need for remediation in Language Arts and Mathematics. This causes me to question why. In a sense, for me, it's a rhetorical question as I am seeing why there is a need for remediation everytime I sit at the kitchen table with my elementary/middle school students and help them with their homework.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,137 times
I'd be in favor of competency or skill building in highschool.

-Like entrepreneurial classes (perhaps taught in combination with mechinical/technical trade). So kids can open up their own custom bike shop, or have the skills to open up a trade business after they turn 18 or 21.

Probably 25-30% of a typical highschool is filled with kids who would be good with their hands and would do well in a technical trade. No reason to group them all in a college bound track.

-Another 15-20% of a typical highschool could be doing much more advanced work. College level, or maybe even graduate level. But the bar is set too low in a typical highschool, and they're either bored, or not challenged enough. Maybe offer higher level classes in grades 11 and 12. And let those count towards college. And give them some kind of special credits for having completed them.

-Maybe let others do college work in the summer or winter. Maybe they'll find their passion or interest earlier. The system now is too block like and homogeneous. Let kids advance ahead of others in highschool, if they're willing to do the work and have the aptitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education