Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It's not California...other places besides California have high cost of living, believe it or not.
California is the only place I can think of where you can be stuck unable to find reasonable housing within an hours commute from where you work. Here, there are areas with very high COL but you can drive 45 minutes away and find places with more reasonable COL, especially now that the housing bubble has burst.

I have a friend who works in New York. She drives an hour to take the subway to get to work but she has reasonable housing costs because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
California is the only place I can think of where you can be stuck unable to find reasonable housing within an hours commute from where you work. Here, there are areas with very high COL but you can drive 45 minutes away and find places with more reasonable COL, especially now that the housing bubble has burst.

I have a friend who works in New York. She drives an hour to take the subway to get to work but she has reasonable housing costs because of it.
Where is there reasonable housing costs 1 hour from NYC?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Where is there reasonable housing costs 1 hour from NYC?
She's in New Brunswick. I would assume there are other areas where housing doesn't cost half a million.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:

IMO an hour is quite a commute. After 17 years we were able to move to the county in which we both teach. We worked our way up the home ladder and it took a while, but it was worth it. Like I said, the house is a very modest 40 year old 2100 sq. ft. split level. A "bargain" at $428k. No garage. The drop in property values helped too. Which goes to my original point that $80k after 20 years may not seem so ridiculous given the COL. Our quality of life is much better now with the short commute and being closer to our son while at work.
Btw, I was writing about the Washington, DC metro area of northern VA. With traffic, you don't have to go too far to be an hour away. I was 16 miles from school living in another county and the average commute time was about 45 minutes.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
IMO an hour is quite a commute. After 17 years we were able to move to the county in which we both teach. We worked our way up the home ladder and it took a while, but it was worth it. Like I said, the house is a very modest 40 year old 2100 sq. ft. split level. A "bargain" at $428k. No garage. The drop in property values helped too. Which goes to my original point that $80k after 20 years may not seem so ridiculous given the COL. Our quality of life is much better now with the short commute and being closer to our son while at work.
Btw, I was writing about the Washington, DC metro area of northern VA. With traffic, you don't have to go too far to be an hour away. I was 16 miles from school living in another county and the average commute time was about 45 minutes.
LOL, she transferred from DC to New York. When she was in DC, she lived in MD. I can't remember the city but she drove to the beltway and then took the subway. Small world.

I haven't talked to her in years but the last time I did, she was driving an hour to catch the subway so her commute was longer than an hour. The alternative was very expensive housing so she did it.

I spent three years commuting 50 miles one way to work. Of course it only took me 50 minutes to drive it. It's not bad when traffic keeps moving. 50 minutes in stop and go traffic is much worse than 50 minutes traveling down the highway. Seems to go faster if you're moving.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

Teachers do want what's best for the students. Don't mistake not letting themselves get walked all over with not caring about the students. They are two different issues.
Meh. Some do, and for some, it's just a job, and they want what's easiest for them. I've worked with too many lousy educators to have any rose colored glasses about all teachers being compassionate, student-centered, passionate about teaching, and altruistic. Ideally, yeah; in reality, nah.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:

The inland empire actually has a reasonable cost of living, but no one wants to live there. Now, with traffic it would take more than 45 minutes to get to Orange County where teachers are paid more.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
That was my plan until my students figured out I'm there early. Now I just have a room full of kids an hour before/after school, sigh. Parents seem to think if I'm there, I'm there to tutor their kids. This is, probably, more of an issue at charter and private schools where students may be dropped off early or picked up late. I have several students whose parents don't pick them up until 4:00 or 5:00 who will hang out in my room if I let them and three or four are always waiting outside my door when I get in at 7:00. So much for getting my planning done at school. It ends up being the weekend. By the time I do get home at night, I do what I have to and try to spend some time with my family. So, I spend Saturday prepping.
Tell the students they may not 'hang out' in your room. Inform them of tutoring hours and only tutor during those hours. Our high school teachers don't allow such behavior...they aren't on demand whenever the students show up. Most of my high school teachers wouldn't allow that either.
It sounds like you could easily get many more hours of work done during the school week....it's up to you to make it happen. If you don't choose to make it happen then you can hardly complain about working on weekends.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The inland empire actually has a reasonable cost of living, but no one wants to live there. Now, with traffic it would take more than 45 minutes to get to Orange County where teachers are paid more.
As coincidence would have it, I actually know several people who opted to teach in the Corona-Norco area. Not the most happening place for young people, apparently, but affordable enough to start out as teachers.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As coincidence would have it, I actually know several people who opted to teach in the Corona-Norco area. Not the most happening place for young people, apparently, but affordable enough to start out as teachers.
It is much cheaper there, especially now. They do get paid a bit less out there, though. Many of my teachers in Orange County lived in Corona. I would not want to do that drive everyday, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education