Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM

604 posts, read 750,880 times

Advertisements

What is the point of going to High School? You learn very little (see High School Never Ends thread) and it's almost like a day-care where they teach you to do everything you're told, and is "the antithesis of democracy"

If you go to High School, the only real reason is that you're going to College and need to take an ACT/SAT test...

BUT why not just study for the subjects that will be on the test, and do it in a year or 2, instead of 4?

K-6 is enough to learn the basics, even K-8, to get that maturity in...
Again, please see the "High School Never Ends" thread...

I want to be an Autodidact, but need my parents to believe, that I WILL actually commit to learning, and I do want to go to college (that would be the one condition...)

So I'd have to study for the ACT/SAT to go to college, and then afterwards become an infantry officer in the military, and later a politician...

Public Schools feel like daycare, honestly I did nothing productive today, except everything the teacher told me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
One reason is that even if you've completed & passed the requisite subject matters at age 16, many kids at that age don't have the maturity to motivate themselves and study & learn material alone in college. Most college courses only meet 2 or 3 days a week for large lectures/presentation. You're basically on your own to read & digest the material & do all the problemsets yourself. They don't take attendance & many don't check hw, so it's really your responsibility to keep up.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
Its mainly connections of the neurons and having a basic background. As an officer in the military, you might need to take some biohazard training, and a basic understanding in chemistry will help you get it. Getting through boring course material now and following through on it will prepare you when your are a politician to actually read legislature before voting on it. Or understanding that an island won't capsize if you put too many people on it, because you have a general understanding of earth science. Or as president one day, you might want to know how many states there are or how to spell potato(e).... so you don't look like an idiot.
Is your highschool challanging enough? Are you in AP courses?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
My future daughter in law never graduated from high school at all. She was home schooled an actually started college classes in her junior year of what would have been high school. She started her regular freshman year at age 18 but was quite far ahead and was able to carry a double major. My son was ahead because he tested out of several courses with AP tests.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
One reason is that even if you've completed & passed the requisite subject matters at age 16, many kids at that age don't have the maturity to motivate themselves and study & learn material alone in college. Most college courses only meet 2 or 3 days a week for large lectures/presentation. You're basically on your own to read & digest the material & do all the problemsets yourself. They don't take attendance & many don't check hw, so it's really your responsibility to keep up.
I got offered some undergrad stuff, to go to college and get a 2 year degree during 11th grade and 12th grade, and get a HS diploma and degree at the end...

I'm mature when I want to be, and "many kids" they throw us ALL in a classroom to keep us all off the streets and out of trouble during the day, even smart ones can't learn as much as they might want to due to limited teacher knowledge, time, impairment of other students... etc

Classes I like are easy, I just take notes, read and I pretty much know it, and during class I look more into it on the laptops provided...

In science classes (which I hate) our teacher has no idea what she's doing, and no one is doing any good, unless they learn it themselves... which is what I'm doing... so no, not challenging, the only challenge is finding time to do all the homework they expect us to do, AND do extracurriculars...

Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I got a great deal out of my high school experience. And a head start at college.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I got a great deal out of my high school experience. And a head start at college.

Honestly, its almost just like I sit around and talk to friends, and as long as I do what the teacher says, I get to sit there and talk...

And why are there private schools then?
If public schools give you a good education, what is the point? And why is the food at public schools so bad? and why do kids that obviously do not want to be there have to go?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Honestly, its almost just like I sit around and talk to friends, and as long as I do what the teacher says, I get to sit there and talk...

And why are there private schools then?
If public schools give you a good education, what is the point? And why is the food at public schools so bad? and why do kids that obviously do not want to be there have to go?
Perhaps this is why you aren't getting anything out of high school? Schools vary so much state to state and perhaps you are in a state with bad schools? The public schools in our state, for the most part, are excellent and challenging. Are you taking AP classes and doing everything you can to challenge yourself in school?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
What is the point of going to High School? You learn very little (see High School Never Ends thread) and it's almost like a day-care where they teach you to do everything you're told, and is "the antithesis of democracy"
Your typical high school? Not much. The only reason I stayed in high school was my parents would not allow it otherwise. I did the minimum amount of work (which is rather little) to graduate. After high school I started at a community college and got A's and have gotten multiple degrees since.

Your typical public high school is a waste of time.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I have to agree with you. I think that a lot of what you learn in school is a waste of time, which is one of the reasons that I don't send my own kids to school. My plan is to let them start community college at age 16 or so, assuming they're ready and willing. Don't get me wrong; I had fun in high school... and managed to get all As and Bs (except for Trigonometry/Calculus... that was the bane of my existence and I barely passed!) in my college prep, honors, and AP classes, despite doing minimal work. If you're good at the memorize-and-regurgitate game, you can do well with little effort, IME. So it's a fun waste of time, but still, it could be easily condensed into two years, especially with some of the cake classes offered.

Have you read The Teenage Liberation Handbook? Maybe look for that one and share it with your parents. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education