Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I depends if the school is public or private. If private, no, they are not legally obligated. If public, I think it depends on the district/state. I know that public schools in my county are required to accommodate an injured student. I'm not sure if that is statewide, but it probably is. However, I have no idea if that is a federal law.
Here the student would have to be disabled to receive special services but there's always a security guard by the elevator so an injured student could get the guard to open the elevator for them. As a teacher I usually give extra time for a student to get to class and let them leave a bit early if they are injured but I don't have to do that. I just do it because it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
All we had to do was talk to our son's teachers. Mobility ended up not being an issue for him, even though it's a very large school with multiple buildings. A security guard will shuttle injured students using the department's golf cart if requested. You just have to ask.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 780 times
I'm having a similar issue , My daughter is now in crutches and we have no Idea how long she will be in them , she has a left foot sprain but in the X-ray it was found that she has a very tiny fracture in her 3rd toe. She has to see a podiatrist to see what can be done , but it might take more than 2 weeks to heal

I took her to school this morning and the principal said that she cannot accommodate my daughter with letting her use the ELEVATOR? So what's the point in having an elevator if its not being used or children can't use it for a temporary disability ?

My child now has to sit in another 3rd grade class .

I did hear a parent say that the elevator was not working .

Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achavezwlcac View Post
I'm having a similar issue , My daughter is now in crutches and we have no Idea how long she will be in them , she has a left foot sprain but in the X-ray it was found that she has a very tiny fracture in her 3rd toe. She has to see a podiatrist to see what can be done , but it might take more than 2 weeks to heal

I took her to school this morning and the principal said that she cannot accommodate my daughter with letting her use the ELEVATOR? So what's the point in having an elevator if its not being used or children can't use it for a temporary disability ?

My child now has to sit in another 3rd grade class .

I did hear a parent say that the elevator was not working .
1. Get a written statement from the doctor stating why an accommodation needs to be made.
2. Make an appointment with the principal, at which you provide him/her a copy of the statement and, if necessary say, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way, but in the end you're going to accommodate my daughter (assuming that's what the doctor says...I have my doubts about that for a sprain and a minor toe injury).
3. If you need to go further, write a summary of your meeting with the principal, hand deliver it to the superintendent's office and the Board Of Education's office.

That should be all you have to do.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Not to be funny but broken toes don’t require crutches. As for the sprained foot if she’s on the crutches then the other class is a reasonable accommodation. She’s not being placed in a different grade level class.

FYI people can crutch on steps. Chances are she’ll be off the crutches shortly. I had an actual broken foot and only used them for a short time. I can’t see a sprain needing them for that long,

Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I depends if the school is public or private. If private, no, they are not legally obligated. If public, I think it depends on the district/state. I know that public schools in my county are required to accommodate an injured student. I'm not sure if that is statewide, but it probably is. However, I have no idea if that is a federal law.
If a private school accepts federal funding, they are obligated to be compliant with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not to be funny but broken toes don’t require crutches. As for the sprained foot if she’s on the crutches then the other class is a reasonable accommodation. She’s not being placed in a different grade level class.

FYI people can crutch on steps. Chances are she’ll be off the crutches shortly. I had an actual broken foot and only used them for a short time. I can’t see a sprain needing them for that long,
That is why I said -- (assuming that's what the doctor says...I have my doubts about that for a sprain and a minor toe injury)

Twice I had broken toes when I was a school administrator and chose not to use the elevator. And a sprain is not that serious an injury.

I think the accommodation we would have offered would have been that she could be a few minutes late to each class where stairs are involved. I can't see us doing much more.

However, the elevator issue should be resolved, and could be the accommodation, as well.

And could we stop talking about accomodations? I spell that word wrong every time!

Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I don't ever remember having a kid on crutches being a problem. They would leave class a couple or three minutes early, sometimes with a helper for their books, to give them a head start in the hall. Now, I do have to say that there's always "that" one teacher for whom that presents a problem but an administrator could usually smooth that out fairly quickly.

I do remember one kid who was intermittently crippled. He'd bring in a set of crutches every couple weeks so he could leave class early. He wasn't hurt but he just "needed to get out of class early" for whatever reason. He'd pick what classes he wanted to leave and bring the crutches. That only lasted a couple of rotations until we caught on.

He also was the one who brought in a set of walkie talkies to keep track of administrators and teachers on hall duty.

We ended up nailing him for street level herbal pharmaceutical sales in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education