U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 PM
 
33,354 posts, read 52,869,370 times
Reputation: 19801

Advertisements

if the kid is smoking mj in school why is he even IN school--
he needs to be arrested--his learning disability (real or unreal) is no excuse for flagrant violation of the law--especially the drug laws that most ISDs have in place...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if the kid is smoking mj in school why is he even IN school--
he needs to be arrested--his learning disability (real or unreal) is no excuse for flagrant violation of the law--especially the drug laws that most ISDs have in place...
"Funny" thing is, the fact that he has been labeled as disabled makes him exempt from laws as a minor. Yep, you read that right. He could do whatever he pleases and, if caught breaking a law such as drug use, theft, physical violence etc, will be COMPLETELY exempt from any punishment! I've seen it happen so many times. Several times last year we had kids blatantly break the law. Cops were called to campus. Cop talks to kid for a few minutes. Cop asks school administration if the kid has an IEP. If the answer is yes, the cop always tells us there is nothing he/she can do. EVERYTHING gets dismissed when it comes to minors with "disabilities". If you don't believe me, investigate on your own. It's sad and disgusting all at once.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
In my district, even children with disabilities can & are disciplined.


You mean there are some people in the this country, especially the inner-cities, who live off entitlements and game the system? NO!

You mean to tell me that there aren't some teachers & administrators getting more than they give because of their seniority.

You think that some schools & district who receive special funding, despite failing, have any incentive to change?

We all know that corruption & interests exist even (or especially) in our public schools.

This is a political arguement and has nothing to do with a SPED student needing accomodations and support.

If you feel that this child's parents are taking advantage of the system and your supervisers are culpable of disregarding evidence to that effect because it pads their pockets or boosts their numbers and third parties like psychiatrist, pyschologist, neurologists, etc knowingly were compensated to dole out a fake diagnosis - It is your moral duty to make it known to the necessary powers that be.

In the meantime, I think you should stop painting all SPED students and parents with a broad brush. The majority of us are not scavengers living off everyone else's dime, but hard-working tax-payers as well as parents that want to help our children become productive contributing members of society.
[/quote]
Good for your district. In my district, "discipline" always amounts to "counseling". When/if the kid or parents object to discipline, they always get their way and get out of it.
The psychologists/people involved with smacking a disabled tag on a kid aren't paid to dole out the fake diagnosis. Most of the time, it's just giving in to parents who nag the heck out of them and want the SPED title. And, unfortunately, THEY are the "powers to be". Any other supposedly higher power is always going to defer to them when it comes to the "diagnosis" of a kid they wouldn't know in the first place. So, the first step in calling attention to these issues is just generally increasing overall public awareness. That can set in motion a series of things that can lead to change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 AM
 
613 posts, read 923,485 times
Reputation: 717
Default To Skyway31

If I were you, I would consider pursuing a different profession. And I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I mean that in all honesty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
If I were you, I would consider pursuing a different profession. And I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I mean that in all honesty.
Wouldn't it be irresponsible of me to just leave a profession because I've found problems with how it's run? I happen to love-and am quite good at-working with kids with legitimate disabilities. Why would I leave the career rather than try to improve the field???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
 
3,261 posts, read 5,007,934 times
Reputation: 3977
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Wouldn't it be irresponsible of me to just leave a profession because I've found problems with how it's run? I happen to love-and am quite good at-working with kids with legitimate disabilities. Why would I leave the career rather than try to improve the field???
What's really irresponsible is that by default, every classifeied child that is in your district, is classified undeservedly and for the personal financial interest's of the parents.

You may be qualified to be an educator, but you are not qualified to diagnose or un-diagnose a disability. Are you a learning consultant, are you a psychologist, developmental pediatrician or neurologist? I don't believe you are, but instead of spending productive time in the field you are qualified in, you discount all those children under your supervision. If you were in my district, I would speak to your supervisor about moving you to another department.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,158,533 times
Reputation: 617
They make comedies about teachers who take themselves too seriously and students who do not perform up to the expectations of the adults...pure comedy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
What's really irresponsible is that by default, every classifeied child that is in your district, is classified undeservedly and for the personal financial interest's of the parents.

You may be qualified to be an educator, but you are not qualified to diagnose or un-diagnose a disability. Are you a learning consultant, are you a psychologist, developmental pediatrician or neurologist? I don't believe you are, but instead of spending productive time in the field you are qualified in, you discount all those children under your supervision. If you were in my district, I would speak to your supervisor about moving you to another department.
I never said every kid was classified incorrectly.I never said every kid that was classified incorrectly was classified incorrectly in order to financially benefit the family. What I said was there are too many kids classified incorrectly and that the problem was substantial enough to adversely affect SPED.

First, the key examples I am referring to would have to be observed in person to understand where I'm coming from. I submit that any reasonable person, upon oberving these students and attempting to teach them, would conclude that it is ridiculous to have them covered by ADA etc.

I discount all the children I supervise? Helpful tip: Get a clue of what you speak of before speaking. It's quite the opposite. I believe in them to the highest degree. For the ones willing to cooperate to the slightest degree, I can teach them anything and everything they need to learn.

Last edited by skyway31; 05-05-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
 
17,078 posts, read 20,437,093 times
Reputation: 17244
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Dealing with an issue right now in special education. We have a student who is in the Resource program. He is failing all of his classes. ALL of his teachers agree it is for ONE reason: Lack of effort to pay attention or complete assignments. NOT lack of ability. The mere fact that he is labeled as learning disabled is a joke to us. His Mom, unaware of the complexity of the issue, wants him in a "smaller" class. She's been told the smaller class is the Special Day Class. She is now demanding that her son-a perfectly capable young man who is not achieving simply because school and authority in general is a joke to him-go all the way down to the Special Day Class. All of his teachers agree this would be terribly inappropriate. Our program specialist here in L.A. Unified has flat out told me, the case carrier, I MUST rewrite the IEP to place the student in SDC. I asked about due process. The specialist said its a no go. Effectively, despite the fact that all of his teachers-Special ed. case carrier included- believe SDC is the WRONG placement-not only will his placement not be what we adamantly feel it should be (the least restrictive RSP), our opinions and rationale WILL NOT EVEN BE HEARD. I think this is horse****. I'm just now taking it all in. Does anybody know of a plan of action I/we can take to fight this? I'm certain that something is amiss here and I need to find it. Ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
It is interesting that you think you can diagnose a child who has a learning disability as *lazy* This is what many teachers did to our kids back some years ago.

It *may* be that the placement will be wrong for him, but parents do know their children better than teachers. I am a grandparent and have been a teacher and a parent.

Parents have struggled with getting children proper placements and been told by school districts that they are the experts, so the placements are not given. This sets our children up for failure *and* bullying. Sorry, but you are wrong on this one.

Dorothy
nana to one autistic 6 year old and one asperger's almost 8 year old who is having to fight with the local school district to get appropriate accomodations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,705,156 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is interesting that you think you can diagnose a child who has a learning disability as *lazy* This is what many teachers did to our kids back some years ago.

It *may* be that the placement will be wrong for him, but parents do know their children better than teachers. I am a grandparent and have been a teacher and a parent.

Parents have struggled with getting children proper placements and been told by school districts that they are the experts, so the placements are not given. This sets our children up for failure *and* bullying. Sorry, but you are wrong on this one.

Dorothy
nana to one autistic 6 year old and one asperger's almost 8 year old who is having to fight with the local school district to get appropriate accomodations.
First of all, I'd like to see proof of the learning disability. Guess what? THAT PROOF DOESN'T EXIST! NEVER DID! Kid was labeled SPED based on his subjectively meeting a set of highly VAGUE "criteria". Investigate the matter further please. This isn't like the medical field where they run a series of scientific tests to discern what is wrong with a patient. So, the whole notion of it being set in stone that he has a "learning disability" doesn't fly here.

I'm not assuming the kid is lazy. Beyond the fact that it's blatantly obvious-you would almost certainly agree if you observed the child yourself-he's TOLD ME he doesn't give a hoot and won't do anything. Even if it's something we all know he can do!

You're so clueless on this matter it's pathetic. You've never observed or worked with the kid in question. You've also probably never set foot in an inner-city school, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top