U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 AM

17,078 posts, read 20,431,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I too am glad to hear that you are still teaching. Here we are seeing more and more parents hiring Special Ed Advocates or legal counsel as advocates to ensure that they get everything their child is legally entitled to. When that happens, typically that student gets more than they should in order to avoid legal action, at the expense of others who don't complain. The bottom line is that there are still only so many Special Ed teachers and para-educators, and a limited budget. Many of the good teachers have become burned out and moved on to general education teaching.
You have NO idea how hard it is for parents who have to fight for the child's placement. Believe me very few of us are getting more than what the child needs and many are getting much less than what the child needs. This has not changed at all in the years since my grandson was dxed and he is fortunate in that we have managed to get his needs met without fighting our district.

https://www.understood.org/en/school...cial-education

https://www.wrightslaw.com/info/advo...ree.heitin.htm

Quote:
In 1997, when IDEA was reauthorized, an important change was implemented in which schools were required to evaluate special education students' progress as often as they did the progress of general education students. IDEA has long required that progress be evaluated in observable and measurable ways.

I cannot begin to count the number of times that a student's progress is merely observed rather than measured in any way. Independent assessment, school standardized testing, state assessment measures and observational charts are all means of evaluating and measuring progress.

My advice to parents who think that their children are not making sufficient progress: Don't stop in your efforts to improve your child's progress.

Failure to make appropriate progress has devastating and cumulative ramifications.
This year's teacher will not be around to see the implications over time, but parents certainly will be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 12:37 PM

37,741 posts, read 16,059,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You have NO idea how hard it is for parents who have to fight for the child's placement. Believe me very few of us are getting more than what the child needs and many are getting much less than what the child needs. This has not changed at all in the years since my grandson was dxed and he is fortunate in that we have managed to get his needs met without fighting our district.

https://www.understood.org/en/school...cial-education

https://www.wrightslaw.com/info/advo...ree.heitin.htm
I can only speak for the school where I was principal. I sat in on most eligibility meetings, any IEP or 504 meetings that might be the least bit controversial. I was very lucky to have a top notch SPED department chair.

The two biggest problems we had in such meetings tended to be:
1. Parents who wanted their child in SPED when it was not appropriate.
2. Parents who didn't want their child in SPED where it was sorely needed.1

Fortunately, I was in a very large system that didn't complain about who was put into special ed that needed it and was strict about outside testing. "I don't want my child to be labeled". Oh boo hoo.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:21 AM

4,029 posts, read 7,579,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
If this is your attitude and the attitude of this child's educators, no wonder he isn't successful in school

When my child was first classified, my district was unwilling to accept it and insisted in doing their own evaluations. No district will willingly "cave-in" to every parents demand that they receive SPED, because it's very difficult if not impossible then to un-classfy or mainstream a student (the district's goal not for altruistic reason's but budgetary one's). Believe you me, not many parents are aware of their rights and are capable of dealing with the bureaucracy of a school, special service dept and state & federal law. School districts know this and always put up blocks to fight providing services based on their district's bottom line.

Furthermore, on what basis do you claim that these parents are trying to "game" the system to receive SSI? I'm curious why you came to this conclusion or is the real reason your underlying contempt for SPED services in general?

This parent believes that their child is not succeeding and is looking to receive the supports necessary to accomodate her child. Now I personally would have not waited for my child to fail or for an annual IEP meeting in order to address these issues. If my child were failing, I would be in continuous dialogue with every single teacher /staff working with my child, to see what I could do as a parent and what you could do as their educator.
If an educator and an IEP team have data to support a less restrictive placement for a child, a placement where the child could be successful, why should they spend the taxpayers' money to do what the parent wants?

I am so fortunate I don't have to be placed in that position anymore. As a special educator, I always felt we needed to be responsible for making appropriate educational decisions but we should be fiscally responsible when appropriate as well. Just throwing money at a situation, especially when the team's data leads to a different decision is one reason public schools often don't have the resources to pay for much needed services.

I feel for all of you still out there trying to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education