Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any one on here has any experiencing with learning math as an adult or teaching math to adults. I'm in my early 30s and was a good student in college (ten years ago), but I stuck with the humanities -- English lit and history mainly. Now, Im considering going back to school and getting a degree in math. I would probably have to start at the bottom -- pre algebra -- because I haven't seriously studied math since high school, and even then, I didn't really pay attention. Do you think getting a bachelor's degree in math is a reasonable goal for a good student of reasonable intelligence who is a total math neophyte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times
I'm much older than you, and also had to start at beginning algebra. I'm at pre-calculus now, and calculus next year. I met several other adult students in my math classes, of which one was going back to school to get a degree in math so he could teach. I think you will be much better at it than you think. Also, my one piece of wisdom. Don't think since you are older that everyone in the class already knows this stuff. My first one I was asking questions if I didn't understand something, and no one else was. I thought I must be the only one who didn't know this stuff. After the grades for the entire class were posted I realized some of them just didn't care. You will be fine. And congratulations!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
Not trying to sound like a downer, but I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this subject.
Been stuck at the College Algebra level since having to return to school in '08.
It's probably just me due to the fact that knowledge isn't as easily retained in my brain and I tend to drift in many of the over-filled classes that are common at the lower-levels.

The only approach I could think of right now is by looking at what gave me success in the pre-algebra classes that got me up to Math 90(intermediate algebra), one page of notes being allowed and multiple choice tests.

Some would say "that's dumbing it down", but I remembered the material for years after that way.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Sign up at your local junior college and take a placement test (free, generally) to figure out what you still remember. You may be surprised!

I'm in a masters of teaching program to teach math, but my undergrad was business. I don't need a full math degree, but i do need a few more credits, so I've been taking a handful of math classes when I have time. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I still remembered (and even more so about how easily the rest came back to me).

Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Sign up at your local junior college and take a placement test (free, generally) to figure out what you still remember. You may be surprised!

I'm in a masters of teaching program to teach math, but my undergrad was business. I don't need a full math degree, but i do need a few more credits, so I've been taking a handful of math classes when I have time. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I still remembered (and even more so about how easily the rest came back to me).
Unfortunately, I didn't learn much math in the first place. I was a pretty bad student in high school. I took college much more seriously ... I got an A in my college level Algebra class (because I studied for hours and hours because I was determined to graduate with a 4.0 GPA), but I doubt I remember anything from that.

Still, I just have this drive to do this. The thought of studying math excites me. I guess I won't know unless I try.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not trying to sound like a downer, but I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this subject.
I appreciate this feedback. This is what I'm concerned about. I have never really tested my math aptitude, so I don't know what it is. I don't want to be unlrealistic.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM

90 posts, read 262,473 times
Gosh golly dude, you got a 4.0 in college! You will be fine. Age has nothing to do with anything, you are still the same person who knows how to study, find the right resources, get the grade. And now you have the internet to help you look something up, or to use for creative practice.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times
I think an adult can do it if he/she starts with the basics. People usually goes to a "college algebra" or "pre-cal" book expecting to solve a good portion of the exercises right away, but usually there are certain subjects that need to be mastered first: order of operations, etc.

Some people in my CHEM and PHYS classes have failed tests because of this. They are able to solve complicated exercises but when it's time to add or multiply to get a final answer, the numbers are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't learn much math in the first place. I was a pretty bad student in high school. I took college much more seriously ... I got an A in my college level Algebra class (because I studied for hours and hours because I was determined to graduate with a 4.0 GPA), but I doubt I remember anything from that.

Still, I just have this drive to do this. The thought of studying math excites me. I guess I won't know unless I try.
Prfff!! If you got a 4.0 in College Algebra, you probably know what you need to face math classes! If not, you'll know where to look for help (tutoring, etc).

Take those classes and have fun!

Quote:
I appreciate this feedback. This is what I'm concerned about. I have never really tested my math aptitude, so I don't know what it is. I don't want to be unlrealistic.
Probably an ACCUPLACER test or similar at your community college would be a good indicator.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:

Nothing is unrealisitic as long as you are working hard and towards a goal that you really want to achieve. Don't listen to any naysayers, they are all jealous. It doesn't matter where you start, it matters how you work and what you do with your time. Who cares if you start at even addition? It is all a stepping stone and you learn one thing at a time.

You'll get there, don't let anyone in your life call you unreasonable. If you listen to people like that, you'll just turn into a loser.

If you can pass college algebra with a 4.0 you can pass differential equations with a 4.0.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,045 times
My experience is that it will be much harder for you than some people think. I had very strong math skills in high school. I took AP Calculus as a senior in high school. There were fewer than 20 students in my graduating class of 630 that took it. My placement test my first year in college put me into Calculus with Analytical Geometry. I ended up taking a lower Calculus class because my major was business and I didn't need the upper division Calc. class. After scuffling around in school and working full-time I stopped attending college after about 70 credit hours. When I went back to school I had to take another placement test as it had been 10 years since I had been in school. I forgotten much of what I had learned so my score placed me in a lower level class. My intention was to get a degree in Secondary Math Education. I went to one class and changed my mind. Some of the adults in that class just could not get basic math concepts. I changed to teaching social studies.

My point of all this is that my experience is that you either get math or you don't. Most people I've met are either really good math students or really bad math students. If you did not take it seriously in high school, there is probably a reason for that. My daughter was a brutal student in high school. But she tutored other students in math. Math requires a certain logical, analytical mind that not all people possess.

On a positive note. If you are able to make it through and learn it you will probably be excellent at teaching it. Good math students often do not make good math teachers. Because it comes so easy to them it's difficult to empathize with the students that don't get it. And when you are teaching to the masses, most of them don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education