U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,515,747 times

Advertisements

How would you feel if your childs school held their Academic/Sports Awards program and two students (brothers) were excluded from any type of award? This happened at our school and these kids are humiliated beyond belief. Neither one is athletic, sports oriented, gifted ect....I do know that one of the boys has gone three years being the ONLY one in the class to not receive an award. Would you "find" some type of award or continue to exclude him in front of the entire elementary student body? Or do you agree with some parents that awards are earned and therefore "empty" awards should not be given? I feel for these kids and their parents show up every year to show support only to watch their childrens humiliation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM

830 posts, read 2,602,600 times
My first thought is that if every other student is getting one, then that's excessive anyway - a good many of the others are probably "empty" also. So if they've already gone the way of giving empty rewards, then go ahead and find something for the two boys too.

Or, better yet, stop giving any empty rewards.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,141,862 times
Last year one of the boys in my son's 1st grade class received a Master Lego Builder award. This little boy didn't receive any academic awards and it was obvious which awards were the made up awards so everyone left with one.

My son was UPSET that he did not get the Master Lego Builder award! He could have cared less about the academic awards he received, he felt he was the best Lego Builder in class. LOL

Giving the awards is a sticky situation. I know the little boy that I mentioned here, he comes from a dysfunctional home. That award made him very happy and I think he might be missing some of that at home. But on the other hand, coming to expect awards is a bad thing too.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM

720 posts, read 2,569,028 times
That's inappropriately sad. Best solution is to not hand out awards so liberally!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 33,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
How would you feel if your childs school held their Academic/Sports Awards program and two students (brothers) were excluded from any type of award? This happened at our school and these kids are humiliated beyond belief. Neither one is athletic, sports oriented, gifted ect....I do know that one of the boys has gone three years being the ONLY one in the class to not receive an award. Would you "find" some type of award or continue to exclude him in front of the entire elementary student body? Or do you agree with some parents that awards are earned and therefore "empty" awards should not be given? I feel for these kids and their parents show up every year to show support only to watch their childrens humiliation.
The problem isn't they aren't getting awards. It's that everyone else is. This isn't realistic. In real life, rewards go to the winners. I think it's stupid and counterproductive to give out so many rewards.

However, I think it's mean to exclude only a couple of kids.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,929,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
My first thought is that if every other student is getting one, then that's excessive anyway - a good many of the others are probably "empty" also. So if they've already gone the way of giving empty rewards, then go ahead and find something for the two boys too.

Or, better yet, stop giving any empty rewards.
I agree. Way too many EMPTY awards, graduations from preschool, kindergarten, elementary school...probably people out there who give graduation parties/trophies for graduation from potty training!!!

But, if they are gonna give them, this poor kid(s) should have been included. Kind of like a kid inviting all but one child from their class to their birthday party. Way too hurtful. If I were the parents, I'd be looking for another school. Something very wrong at the current one and nothing that can be fixed with a "meeting" with the teacher/principal.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 AM

14,319 posts, read 21,367,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I think it's up to the parents to put these awards in the proper perspective. Kids don't thrive because they get awards. They thrive because of good parenting, plenty of love and support, and a great deal of guidance. I would classify these awards as empty and meaningless, and make sure my kids knew that they were better than that and deserved better.

The problem here is not the kids who didn't get the awards, but the school. The two kids who were excluded need to be aware of that.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,764,107 times
I agree, if all the kids are getting awards the awards are being handed out for the sake of giving awards not being given out because someone excelled at something.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,929,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think it's up to the parents to put these awards in the proper perspective. Kids don't thrive because they get awards. They thrive because of good parenting, plenty of love and support, and a great deal of guidance. I would classify these awards as empty and meaningless, and make sure my kids knew that they were better than that and deserved better.

The problem here is not the kids who didn't get the awards, but the school. The two kids who were excluded need to be aware of that.

Very good points.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 AM

731 posts, read 1,520,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

I can understand telling that to a junior high age student, but a kindergartener or first grader will still be hurt, despite your good intentions. Competition is such an issue in school that it becomes ridiculous. Those children should have been given an "empty" award, if that is what you want to call it. I am sure they had some redeeming quality that they could have been acknowleged for.

You don't teach anything by exclusion, and I would say the school has poor teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education