Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM

270 posts, read 504,388 times

Advertisements

Well, as a future teacher, I think all of the core subjects are important, because they are related to one another. It's connecting these concepts, though, that's the tricky part for some students. A good teacher should perhaps know how to connect all of these concepts so that they make a lasting impression upon the students. I think the problem with most schools, at least down here in Alabama, is that people forget that all of the core subjects are interrelated, and few students are ever taught how to connect all of the concepts. English literature is tied to history. Science is tied to math. Math is tied to philosophy. They are all related. When people don't make the connections, however, that may be when some things don't make sense. Being able to relate certain concepts to others is part of higher order thinking, though. In my opinion, teachers should make more of an effort to point out how each subject is connected, then perhaps the English student would not find math a boring triviality, or vise-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My understanding of "higher level" in regards to college courses is anything above a 100 level course. Algebra does not meet that criteria in most colleges.
That's what I thought...algebra was a remedial class at my college.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My understanding of "higher level" in regards to college courses is anything above a 100 level course. Algebra does not meet that criteria in most colleges.
Well, I was in RSP programs in high school specifically for arithmetic.
It saddened me a bit when everyone else I knew was grasping concepts that made me pass out, but some of us consider passing things like "Algebra" a milestone.

Luckily, I know quite a few math-majors that understand the difficulty some have when it comes to grasping the basic of formulas.
Then there's those that look down from the "ivory tower" so-to-speak.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
I remember hearing that college algebra was supposed to be much more complicated and involved than high school algebra. Maybe a math professor could clear that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That's what I thought...algebra was a remedial class at my college.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM

It figures. College is for jumping through hoops. Wouldn't technical training courses be more efficient and effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
When I was in high school, I took every math class offered, every Math AP, SAT, and SAT II exam. Took a bunch of math classes in college.

Now that I'm a software engineer, I use... arithmetic. Outside of academia, I know no one that uses any high level math. Maybe some basic stats or basic logic, but differential geometry?
They seriously beat you over the head in university that math is the greatest. Math has a creepy cult following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1;14224443[B
]Most math is pointless. I have a math degree but use none of it at my job that I didn't already know in the 5th grade (plus, minus, times, divide, and occasionally exponent).

College degrees in general are pretty worthless, whether it's the math requirement for an English degree
or the English requirement for a math degree. Four years of studying and thousands of dollars to use maybe 1% of that? Why?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM

299 posts, read 903,465 times
As a business student, I've had to take a lot of math classes, ranging from college algebra to applied calculus to accounting to business statistics.

In business, its all about knowing the formulas and plugging in the numbers. I've used some very basic (8th & 9th grade) algebraic principles in accounting classes, and in business stats, it all came down to knowing basic arithmetic and using some logical analysis.

I'm not going to say that ALL college math is useless, because I have a handful of friends who are majoring in engineering who say that some of the stuff they learned in college algebra, calculus, and trigonometry are vital to what they do in their engineering classes. Still, you learn A LOT of useless information in college math classes. I mean, calculating the vertex of a parabola and finding derivatives? THAT is what I call useless.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Do you have a business job where you use a lot of financial ratios to solve problems? Did your math lectures prepare for that stress if you do that in your office work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
As a business student, I've had to take a lot of math classes, ranging from college algebra to applied calculus to accounting to business statistics.

In business, its all about knowing the formulas and plugging in the numbers. I've used some very basic (8th & 9th grade) algebraic principles in accounting classes, and in business stats, it all came down to knowing basic arithmetic and using some logical analysis.

I'm not going to say that ALL college math is useless, because I have a handful of friends who are majoring in engineering who say that some of the stuff they learned in college algebra, calculus, and trigonometry are vital to what they do in their engineering classes. Still, you learn A LOT of useless information in college math classes. I mean, calculating the vertex of a parabola and finding derivatives? THAT is what I call useless.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 AM

181 posts, read 323,803 times
I have taken a lot of math (Calculus, Discrete Math, etc.) and have found it extremely useful as a system programmer (Linux System Programmer in C). Math knowledge is a fundamental part of my job. Math is fundamental in most engineering jobs (highest paying four year degree),.

Also, anything 100/200 level is NOT advanced Mathematics. 100 is Freshman, 200 is Sophomore, and only when you get into 300 level math classes are you taking advanced math. That's like saying a 100 level Intro to Shakespeare class is advanced English.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 AM

So you use complex math on a daily basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndOranges View Post
I have taken a lot of math (Calculus, Discrete Math, etc.) and have found it extremely useful as a system programmer (Linux System Programmer in C). Math knowledge is a fundamental part of my job. Math is fundamental in most engineering jobs (highest paying four year degree),.

Also, anything 100/200 level is NOT advanced Mathematics. 100 is Freshman, 200 is Sophomore, and only when you get into 300 level math classes are you taking advanced math. That's like saying a 100 level Intro to Shakespeare class is advanced English.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,444 times
If u want to meet your maker, learn Math ! .. no kidding seriously .. every scientific advancements are solely based on math ..like E=MC2, math can definitely unearth some of the hidden concepts of life .. and if u're really up for the grab .. go for it, untill u find your maker, in either ways ..dead or alive .. u'd be a genius if u found him alive with a proof ! .. well its all in the mind !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education