Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

The Bandz are now contraband. Schools in several states, including New York, Texas, Florida and Massachusetts, have blacklisted Silly Bandz, those stretchy, colorful bracelets that are creeping up the forearms of school kids across the U.S. And starting this week, all 800-some kids at my son's elementary school in Raleigh, N.C., were commanded to leave at home their collections of rubber band–like bracelets, which retail for about $5 per pack of 24. What could possibly be so insidious about a cheap silicone bracelet?

Silly Bandz Bracelet Craze: School Ban Over Distraction - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100527/us_time/08599199179700 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
That seems a bit odd. When I was in elementary school in the 90's slap bracelets were banned. Yes, you could hit people with them, but they didn't hurt. I've never heard of these bracelets.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Yes. My kids' school began by putting a kabosh on any trading of them; then expanded the ban to bringing them to school. Too bad. Just because a few kids , the same ones, who fiddle with their pencils, steal cute erasers and whine and spat about this and that on a daily basis, began fiddling and arguing about the Silly Bands. I thought it was an inexpensive way for kids to have fun, and learn about the process of "free trade." Some kids sometimes chose to give away one of their silly bands to a "less fortunate" child who had none! I thought these were good lessons to learn, even the lessons on "buyers/seller's remorse" were probably good lessons to learn. Reminded me of kids of yore trading baseball cards. Too bad the schools can't simply figure out how to deal with "the few" who need to mature and be further socialized; i.e., set and enforce some reasonable rules regarding the bands. Instead, we bring in The Silly Band Police to totally ban all Silly Bands and once again make sure everyone pays for the crimes of a few. Oh well, summer is almost here, and indeed, there are bigger battles to be waged. And hopefully, we can put all of them on hold for at least the first couple weeks of long, lazy summer days...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
They are toys, children are not supposed to bring toys into the classroom because its a distraction. M daughters middle school did not let them bring in anything that was collectable enough to cause something to be stolen which included things like pokemon cards.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,161 times
They were banned at my kids' school too. Not only are they distracting but kids were flinging them at bus drivers.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Schools just like banning stuff. Fads like these come and go. Soon it will be something else. A good teacher can easily overcome any "distraction".

Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,431 times
I think it's fine for teachers to confiscate distracting items from students on a case-by-case basis. I've taken marbles, bouncy balls, and jewelry from students and then given it back at the end of class or the end of the day.

Then again, I also don't have a big problem with students fidgeting during class. Unless they are using an item to distract their peers, I'm inclined to let most things go. Most kids can move around a little and still attend to class content just fine.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Schools just like banning stuff. Fads like these come and go. Soon it will be something else. A good teacher can easily overcome any "distraction".
That says it in a nutshell!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
They were banned at my kids' school too. Not only are they distracting but kids were flinging them at bus drivers.
Well, maybe we should ban kids wearing certain colors. Many colors are distracting to others. Maybe we should ban all hair ties. Those could be flung at people, too. This is a silly rationale.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That seems a bit odd. When I was in elementary school in the 90's slap bracelets were banned. Yes, you could hit people with them, but they didn't hurt. I've never heard of these bracelets.
First of all, slap bracelets were banned because they were VERY dangerous. I saw a good friend slice his arm open with one of those simply by slapping it onto his arm. He had to have about 20 stitches in his arm.

Second of all, my high school students have the Bandz things (I didnt know what they were until I saw this thread). I told them to keep the things put away in my class because they were, of course, playing with them during class. If it is a distraction, it will be banned...maybe that is why they are called "Bandz"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education