Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times

Advertisements

Would you start a beginning band student out on an oboe? DD will be 11 this summer and in 6th grade in August. We met with her future band director this week who after talking with her and having her try some instruments, suggested she consider oboe. I emailed our church music director and he cautioned me that an oboe is not a starter instrument. I responded to that but haven't heard back yet. Here are the facts about her:

A. She does seem to be musically inclined. She picked up piano very quickly, sings solos in church beautifully and made All County Chorus this year.
B. That said, I am worried that the level of difficulty will discourage her from band altogether.
C. She tends to be a perfectionist and is usaully not very patient with herself. She seems to think she should be perfect at whatever, right away. Maybe that's just her age.
D. She does like to be "unique", and I know she certainly would be as an oboe player in the band.

What do you think? Go with oboe, or start with something else?

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
A lot of the kids that play oboe start out on the clarinet. In our school they don't do that though. They start kids on the oboe. They don't get a lot of kids playing oboe, it isn't all that popular of an instrument but I love the sound of the oboe.

Here they have the kids try different instruments. If they can make a sound while experimenting with the instruments they can put it on their list of ones they would like to play so if a student couldn't make a sound with an oboe, they wouldn't be able to put that on their list. If they can make a sound with an oboe, it isn't any more difficult for them then any other instrument because making sound is half the battle.

Much of the reason kids here don't play the oboe though is that we have a very popular marching band and oboe isn't a marching instrument.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The Oboe and Bassoon are in the class of woodwinds called double reeds. They are relatively hard to play if you have played a reed instrument before. A band teacher would suggest this instrument to a pupil they thought was a good fit for it . I think it is a complement to have a band teacher suggest to your kid; Oboe, Bassoon, French horn, or Bass Clarinet.
These instruments are usually more espensive and schools normally own them.
They are some of the oldest instruments in Western Music so they are pretty important to Ochestra's , Wind Ensembles, and Chamber groups.

Having prior music training especialy in voice is good because the ability to play double reeds in tune takes more than just a good ear. I think a student who makes good grades are also good candidates for these instruments because they may have to actually practise at home ( most band kids don't) You might see if you can get a tutor for your child. If you live near a university or music store they could suggest some one

Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post

She does seem to be musically inclined. She picked up piano very quickly, sings solos in church beautifully and made All County Chorus this year.
She does like to be "unique", and I know she certainly would be as an oboe player in the band.

These are good signs. She should go for it. You mentioned a lack of patience, which may affect the outcome regardless of the instrument. Just be as supportive as possible. Many schools will require a certain amount of practice time outside of school. You can help your daughter by making sure she stays on top of this.

Good luck on this exciting journey!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
A good band director will certainly not let your daughter down. Many young people start on Oboes, French Horns, etc. and he or she must feel this is a good fit for your daughter. Sounds like she has talent that shows up well.

My daughter plays clarinet and can play flute as well. She is in her senior year in HS in the band and will probably get a scholarship (that is what we are hoping). I can't say enough about the excellent band director at her high school and the director who took her in sixth grade. Music is lovely to me and I am a musician myself. Best to you and your daughter.

As your daughter and you well know-practice! practice! practice!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I just checked with DD's friend that plays Oboe and she started on the oboe, not another instrument.

Honestly, I am sure your music director at your church is good, but that person is not a beginning band teacher and since your band director has 100's of kids each year I would take his word for it over the music director at church.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times
Thank you all for your kind words, your advice and your suggetions! I think we're going to go with it. I did talk in person with our church music director tonight (who also used to be a music teacher and had kids in band, both actually music majors). He was telling me that his point was, it can be a difficult instrument, especially for someone so young and he wanted us to move cautiously into it (I guess that's why we should talk with people when we're very concerned about something rather than rely so much on email) if she chose to indeed go that route. He did confirm that his wife knows DD's future band director and that he is very good. I feel much better after reading your comments here and talking with him. We will emphasize the practice.

Nancy

Old 05-29-2010, 07:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
Would you start a beginning band student out on an oboe? DD will be 11 this summer and in 6th grade in August. We met with her future band director this week who after talking with her and having her try some instruments, suggested she consider oboe. I emailed our church music director and he cautioned me that an oboe is not a starter instrument. I responded to that but haven't heard back yet. Here are the facts about her:

A. She does seem to be musically inclined. She picked up piano very quickly, sings solos in church beautifully and made All County Chorus this year.
B. That said, I am worried that the level of difficulty will discourage her from band altogether.
C. She tends to be a perfectionist and is usaully not very patient with herself. She seems to think she should be perfect at whatever, right away. Maybe that's just her age.
D. She does like to be "unique", and I know she certainly would be as an oboe player in the band.

What do you think? Go with oboe, or start with something else?

Nancy
I am a music teacher, although I do not teach band. I am also a band parent. I don't see any reason not to start her out on oboe. When I took my class on woodwinds we were told that there is no reason not to start kids out on the more difficult instruments (oboe, bassoon, french horn).

I think it is more difficult to start on something like clarinet or saxophone and then switch to a harder instrument than it is to start on on the more difficult instrument. The breathing techniques used for double reeds are different than those used for other woodwinds so it is best that she start out on oboe right away if that is what she wants.

Oboe is cool and perfect fit for a child who likes to be unique.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
I'd say go for it - she could always move to a different instrument I'm sure, if it gets more frustrating than fun for her.

If her band teacher heard her trying the oboe already, s/he probably knows she will do ok with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education