Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That sounds good, only teachers would have to give up some of their saleries so air conditioning can be installed in schools.
Your schools aren't air conditioned? Ours (in Florida) have central heat, even if it's only used two weeks a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,721 times
Our classrooms have swamp coolers. Much more energy efficient and they work great in our climate! We have 'em on until October or so and start em back up in April or May.

Seriously, reading this thread all I can think is that times sure have changed. As a middle or high school student, none of my teachers ever would have contacted my parents about missing assignments (although it would become clear on a quarterly report card). My parents also would never have checked with the teacher to see if I was missing assignments. And there was no such thing as Parent Connect or any regular posting of grades other than a report card. That WAS the notification.

If I was missing assignments, that was my own fault and the grade suffered. It is odd to me that so many other people are expected to be in charge or organizing a middle or high school student's life nowadays. Everyone but the student, it seems.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 AM

613 posts, read 991,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I was going by YOUR words which indicated that you would not have discussed with him his extra curricular activities or priorities.

As for the e-mail from the parent, I think you are reading too much into it. They said that their student stays up late (even to the point of falling asleep) doing homework, as do other students. They may simply be making you AWARE of their observations rather than complaining. They are aware that he lacks organizational skills, has trouble balancing his priorities and that time spent on activities is/was part of the problem. For now, they are letting the student handle it with each of his teachers. I don't see how any of that implies that too much homework is the problem.
I agree OP is reading way too much into this note and drawing her own conclusions. The only way to truly determine what is going on is for the OP to meet with the parent face to face but apparently she feels that is a waste of her time.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,878 times
As far as the OP goes I'm shocked that parents are using extracurricular activities as an excuse to the teacher. I know poeple who put a high priority on swim team or gymnastics or whatever, but they would never tell the teacher that flat out. "My son has scouts so he couldn't do his homework"... Who would think that's acceptable to say to a teacher! Why would you want your child's teacher to think you don't value the education they are providing. I'd be embarrased to put that into writing.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Sending every child to college isn't going to ensure jobs to kids who can't do the work. Teaching them skills that translate into employment, however, will. We'll always need phlebotomists and plumbers-- people whose jobs cannot be outsourced to India and Pakistan.
It's odd that the trades are no longer considered respectable work. Parents and schools expect all kids to want college and expect them to strive for only college, nothing else. If a senior isn't in line to attend college the next fall, they are considered a failure.

Our local high school fought to keep military recruiters out for years. This year they were allowed very briefly in a corner where there was not much traffic. Parents picket and have sit-ins to keep anyone from entering the recruiting offices around here. For some reason, serving this country has become shameful to most parents. It used to be a proud thing to enter the military, now it isn't.

As a result, we have gorged our workforce on college grads and the trades go unnoticed as does the military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Your schools aren't air conditioned? Ours (in Florida) have central heat, even if it's only used two weeks a year.
HAHAHA.... no. There is no air conditioning in any school that I have ever been in. Not up here. Kids just sweat when it gets hot before school gets out. Fall isn't so bad because by the time school starts the nights are cooling off a little so the buildings cool off. Because of all the concrete, they remain cool until the afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Seriously, reading this thread all I can think is that times sure have changed. As a middle or high school student, none of my teachers ever would have contacted my parents about missing assignments (although it would become clear on a quarterly report card). My parents also would never have checked with the teacher to see if I was missing assignments. And there was no such thing as Parent Connect or any regular posting of grades other than a report card. That WAS the notification.

If I was missing assignments, that was my own fault and the grade suffered. It is odd to me that so many other people are expected to be in charge or organizing a middle or high school student's life nowadays. Everyone but the student, it seems.
That's the way I remember it as well.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times
Say what you want about how things have changed, but it used to be that:
kids were expected to behave in school,
parents NEVER went into school unless it was parent/teacher conferences,
kids played hard outside every chance they could,
there was one teacher for each class; no extra help anywhere to be found, and they did a good job,
nobody complained, just did what was expected of them,
there was no fluff, just basic, solid education,
and people were a lot happier.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I agree OP is reading way too much into this note and drawing her own conclusions. The only way to truly determine what is going on is for the OP to meet with the parent face to face but apparently she feels that is a waste of her time.
I am not sure what conclusion you think I am drawing except from what the parents actually said. That being the child is too busy with other things to do his homework and that he has so much homework he falls asleep doing.

Why should I meet with the parents? I and they know why he is not doing his homework so there is no need to "find out what is going on". By their own admission he was busy with track and scouts. Second, the parents also did not ask to meet with me. Should I force them to leave work to come to a meeting that we already know what the issue is?

That would not just be wasting my time it would by far be wasting theirs.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Why should I meet with the parents? I and they know why he is not doing his homework so there is no need to "find out what is going on". By their own admission he was busy with track and scouts. Second, the parents also did not ask to meet with me. Should I force them to leave work to come to a meeting that we already know what the issue is?

That would not just be wasting my time it would by far be wasting theirs.
I feel the same way about the wasted time. But I've learned that sometimes it's just important to them, whether it makes sense to you or not. If you meet with them and listen to them, they will feel like you are on the same side - and once you're on the same side, you've got their support rather than their criticism. Strange but true. Sometimes.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I feel the same way about the wasted time. But I've learned that sometimes it's just important to them, whether it makes sense to you or not. If you meet with them and listen to them, they will feel like you are on the same side - and once you're on the same side, you've got their support rather than their criticism. Strange but true. Sometimes.
Thats all well and good but the parents do not want a meeting either.

So who would it be important to?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I don't know why so many people are blaming the parents for giving an "excuse" for their son's mistakes; I reread that note a few times and considered it to be an explanation, not an excuse -- it seems pretty clear that they knew their son was busy, but had been under the impression that he had been balancing things better. Isn't it helpful for the teacher to know what's going on? And for the teacher to know that the parents are now aware of the problem and recognize the root cause? (and will presumably be working with their son to fix that problem?)

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any need for the parents and teachers to meet over this, at least not at this time. The parents say they now know what's going on, the teacher knows they know -- what more is there to say? It seems like a waste of time at this point, for both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education