Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times

Advertisements

I found a turtle (5" shell) in my west-side desert landscaped front yard - boxed in by the rock walls. He/she's now in the backyard till I figure out what to do. Are turtles native to the Chihuahua desert or could it be an abandoned pet? if I relocate it what type of area is best?

Last edited by Gary Siete; 06-16-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Found:
Ornate Box Turtle
West Texas Desert Turtle? - Turtle Forum
The Ornate Box Turtle may be found from South Dakota to southern Arizona and the Rio Grande valley.
The Ornate Box Turtle is active from April through October. It may spend its entire life within an area of only a few acres. It begins its day by basking in the sun. After getting warmed up, it goes looking for food. A box turtle on the hunt is fun to observe. They have an earnest determination that is quite admirable. It likes to eat insects, spiders, worms and some vegetarian fare such as berries.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Desert tortoise. I knew several folks who kept them in their backyards. We had one, in fact. I lived up on the mountain on the Westside. They somehow find their way into yards. I think they pretty much are self-sufficient wild animals, so I don't know why you'd need to relocate it. They're harmless.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times
i used to have a couple come in my back yard and swim in my pond a lot here in the Northeast. I dont think you need to relocate it.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 24,511 times
I am on the list with the west side wildlife rescue to receive any turtles brought in. She won't keep them, so I get calls sometimes. I need a male right now. They are interesting and harmless but they do carry Salmonella so wash after touching them also, I found a post about turtles and contact information on the wildlife rescue place at HOWpaso.com | Questions & Answers for El Paso residents | 6/16/2010 2:11:43 PM (http://www.howpaso.com - broken link)
you may contact me at sitnprity-123@yahoo.com

Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Desert tortoise. I knew several folks who kept them in their backyards. We had one, in fact. I lived up on the mountain on the Westside. They somehow find their way into yards. I think they pretty much are self-sufficient wild animals, so I don't know why you'd need to relocate it. They're harmless.
I just put it back where I found it - beside a shady wall - but I can't imagine anything surviving on my or my neighbor's sun baked front yards.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
My mom had so many of those turtles in her yard that she kept her grandkids busy painting numbers on their shells using nail polish. I remember her saying she rarely saw the same turtle twice except over longer periods of time. They were the exact same turtle as your photo shows.

PS Mom lived on the East side in the Lee Trevino Drive area.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I had them in my yard all the time in Midland--we called them Western box turtles. I had to put them back out in the alley because my dogs would not leave them alone!

They are native. There are also different species, with slightly varying shell patterns, but basically the same turtle. I'd find some tiny ones from time to time, too.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Found:
Ornate Box Turtle
West Texas Desert Turtle? - Turtle Forum
The Ornate Box Turtle may be found from South Dakota to southern Arizona and the Rio Grande valley.
The Ornate Box Turtle is active from April through October. It may spend its entire life within an area of only a few acres. It begins its day by basking in the sun. After getting warmed up, it goes looking for food. A box turtle on the hunt is fun to observe. They have an earnest determination that is quite admirable. It likes to eat insects, spiders, worms and some vegetarian fare such as berries.
Sounds like a good friend to have around.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
My friend Georgina has 70 of them in her yard. She found a way to number them too and might be able to part with one for a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso