Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times

Advertisements

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Here's something to occupy your time. You can click on any county and see inbound and outbound migration, place the mouse to the end of a line and it shows how many inbound and outbound and also average wages.

What's also interesting is that in many cases those coming into El Paso are making higher wages than those leaving, but also for many origins/destinations the wages are similar. El Paso doesn't look too bad as far as migration within the USA - lots of inbound and lots of outbound.

It doesn't show the migration to and from the south of us however.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,231,188 times
Default Interesting...

Did you get a look at all the red from Detroit? No surprise there.

In Houston, we get many new residents each day here and if you click on Harris County, you will see lots of black. I attended the Republican State Convention in Dallas last week as a delegate for my county and learned that Texas is getting 1200-1300 new residents per day, not week/month, per day! Not all are going to Dallas, I would think Houston and El Paso (military) would be getting the majority, but I do see more red than black out of El Paso.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,123,039 times
It is not just Military people moving to El Paso. The new medical schools and the dental field are bringing in quite a bit of new blood. I don't know if that link represents that.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,823,391 times
I noticed some are coming from the New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Boston areas. It looks like some of the places people are moving are farming areas also. Interesting that the migration is mostly within Texas and the other Mexican border states (especially California) and Colorado, with only a minority coming from east of the Mississippi.

Thanks for posting this.

I wish it came with a table feature that would show you, like, the top ten out-migration and in-migration destinations for each county.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM

276 posts, read 804,004 times
I would like to point out this is not Malamutes original thought, he took it from the Texas general discussion and reposted it here without any credit to the original poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ion-texas.html

Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,506,757 times
Bad boy malamute- however those arrows are hard to read- I'd rather have the numbers for each county. Remember patters are a bit different during recesssion. More people will actually make a permanent move once the economy is more secure... whenever that is.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,698,310 times
Thanks for sharing malamute! Really interesting. It's interesting how there is major red leaving Los Angeles, with to major black streaks going to Boston and New York. Even San Diego is loaded with red.

I don't think military is included in migration because they are transient. College students as well would not be considered population growth as well. It would be the new hospitals that would cause the increase, not the schools.

Last edited by 1979; 06-18-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,123,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Are you with the City-Data Police Department? 'Must be something personal going on here maybe, what other reason for the pettiness? I cross post all the time, some people only go to one forum, never looking in others. Where is the detriment in what he did? Whether he did, or you did, I'm glad I found it, I rarely look in the Texas only forum.
You are awfully close to joining me in his ignore list.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
I would like to point out this is not Malamutes original thought, he took it from the Texas general discussion and reposted it here without any credit to the original poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ion-texas.html
Wrong. I saw it posted in another state's forum. Not the Texas one.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Are you with the City-Data Police Department? 'Must be something personal going on here maybe, what other reason for the pettiness? I cross post all the time, some people only go to one forum, never looking in others. Where is the detriment in what he did? Whether he did, or you did, I'm glad I found it, I rarely look in the Texas only forum.
Thanks - I just thought with all the talk of people leaving or coming especially with the military families it was interesting - it's also interesting that in some states people seem to either leave or come to another county nearby. No one seems to venture far from home nor show up from other places in some parts of the country.

In my opinion the good influx of people in and out helps El Paso. Kind of a vitality I think in having some leave and some come.

Really any forum would find it interesting what's going on in their area as far as people coming and going and where they seem to head when they leave.

For El Paso it seems a lot of people head East but people come in from the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: