Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
Is that kinda like getting the TREE CITY USA award, I know a gaggle of them. I wonder if Malamute is not onto something.. but who knows. Be Happy your city got it, wonder if they will get more funding for city wide projects now, if not then its just a plaque that hangs in city hall.. and maybe a sign some place on a highway.
you are right, what it mainly does is allows bragging rights and makes people feel good, but that is not a bad thing...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
Is that kinda like getting the TREE CITY USA award, I know a gaggle of them. I wonder if Malamute is not onto something.. but who knows. Be Happy your city got it, wonder if they will get more funding for city wide projects now, if not then its just a plaque that hangs in city hall.. and maybe a sign some place on a highway.
Well I'm happy in a way - I much prefer thinking of El Paso as the All-American city and that sure beats the promotion of it as the bi-national city or the international city. It's just that this title makes most people go "huh??".

I also have begun to notice a shift - at least in a few parts of town because of so many military families moving in.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
This city has always had a patriotic vibe. Some notice it. Some don't. Some people rooting for Mexico in soccer doesn't negate that. It is very easy to say military families are the cause of any patriotism. They add to it. They don't encompass it here.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM

729 posts, read 2,057,684 times
So eventually what will we call El Paso? Juarez Texas? North Mexico? El Paso del Norte Chihuahua Mexico? Lets go root for the USA in Juarez and see what that will get us. The want and desire to move back to El Paso dies in me evertime I read about loyalty to Mexico in the USA.

Congrats to El Paso for this award and recognition.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
Soccer fans don't make or break out city. We are El Paso, Texas USA. Nothing can change that. It bugs some people that Americans are rooting for Mexico in soccer. It bugs me when El Pasoans cheer for the Texas Longhorns in college sports. Either way, who cares? El Paso is a safe city, most people are friendly and helpful, traffic isn't bad. If that is the worst thing I have to deal with, I can live with people cheering for Mexico in soccer. Just drive down 1-10 and look at all the businesses. It is one giant American flag after another. One "We Support Out Troops" sign after another. Considering we are on the border, I think El Paso is very patriotic and all around American city. Big deal if some grandpa wants to live like he did in Mexico. So what if some grandma only speaks Spanish. They are past. Our present and future are much different.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM

195 posts, read 655,166 times
Yeah besides the true American sport is good ol' pigskin baby! There are a bunch of Americans who root for other country's soccer teams.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Gunfire pelts City Hall, enters office - El Paso Times

Several gunshots apparently fired from Juárez hit El Paso City Hall on Tuesday afternoon.

The All-American city's city hall got hit by bullets from Juarez.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM

270 posts, read 623,326 times
The winnig point was the childrens' programs in EP.

By the way, EP is " AN " All American City not " THE " All American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: