Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to hear about this, but more so that no one here is talking about it. Sad to say, but someone might be killed over this, I'm sure this was someone's Golden Goose. I wonder how long it's been there, and how much illegal actvity has been going on.

For those saying El Paso is safe, this proves things are changing. Just as the Mexican cartel has threatened US authorities in Arizona with sniper attacks, I wonder how long it is before this happens in El Paso. I hate to even write the thought that I just had, but would it really be all that difficult to learn who discovered the tunnel? The cartel can do this easily, even with help from people in the US force... for the right price, then exact their revenge.

Was this reported in the local paper yesterday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I was surprised to hear about this, but more so that no one here is talking about it. Sad to say, but someone might be killed over this, I'm sure this was someone's Golden Goose. I wonder how long it's been there, and how much illegal actvity has been going on.

For those saying El Paso is safe, this proves things are changing. Just as the Mexican cartel has threatened US authorities in Arizona with sniper attacks, I wonder how long it is before this happens in El Paso. I hate to even write the thought that I just had, but would it really be all that difficult to learn who discovered the tunnel? The cartel can do this easily, even with help from people in the US force... for the right price, then exact their revenge.

According to KVIA the tunnel was discovered today - Friday morning - near the Bridge of the Americas.

http://www.kvia.com/news/24047635/detail.html (broken link)
At about 1:30 a.m. CBP Border Patrol agents working near the Bridge of the Americas stopped a drug-smuggling attempt after becoming aware of suspicious activity in the city storm drain system.
CBP Border Patrol and ICE agents working jointly initiated an in-depth investigation of the city storm drainage system and discovered an illicit man-made tunnel underneath the concrete lined Rio Grande River. Federal authorities from Mexico also responded to the scene and assisted with the identification of the exit point of the tunnel in Mexico.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

There was also a kidnapping on the West side - they beat the hell out of the guy. But it's still pretty safe here if you aren't working for some drug trafficker or the Juarez cartel.

Even in Juarez, if you're not connected in any way, it's only about as dangerous as driving on I-10 is for us.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Descubren droga en túnel junto al Ro Bravo. | Diario.com.mx

The tunnel is just 50' west of the southbound bridge (photo) - and connects 2 storm sewers - 1 on each side of the river.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 AM

130 posts, read 322,114 times
the cartels dig the tunnels in and around the city b/c homeland security/border puts out seismic sensors which detect the vibration of the digging. Basically, traffic and ambient noise from the city hides their activities. Im sure there are many more here and along the border.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
I have no idea where they got their information from:
Quote:
EL PASO — U.S. officials have discovered a smuggling tunnel running under the Rio Grande from Mexico into the United States, the first such tunnel in the region.
There have been tunnels discovered before in the El Paso area. In fact I can remember a really great one long before the river was channeled and back when there was an actual Chamizal Zone that bordered Paisano Drive. The tunnel on the USA side had its opening inside a house in the Paisano area. It had apparently been there for years and was used for illegal entry back in those days, more than for drug running.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,579,251 times
Interesting photos on tunnels in other parts of the country...

Inside Mexico's Drug Tunnels - Photo Essays - TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso