Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
No, you're just focusing on the negatives. Yes there is hostility, but look at all of the neighborhoods that thrive and work well together. I like to assume all the right-wingers are willing to give other cultures a try. I would hope so at least. If the Irish can't mend their differences, then there's no hope for any of us. Stop thinking of people who are different than you as a barrier to your way of life. Take the positives and throw out the negatives.
You're reading FAR more into it than there is. They aren't barriers, because I can live where I generally please, within reason. The real problem comes when whites are criticized for not wanting to live in minority neighborhoods. Neither they--nor any other group--should be criticized for this, period!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 09-27-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default 'Does not matter....

Yes, this is old data, but for El Paso, it does not matter. You don't need a map to tell you what the makeup of the city is, a city that shares a border with Mexico.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You're reading FAR more into it than there is. They aren't barriers, because I can live where I generally please, within reason. The real problem comes when whites are criticized for not wanting to live in minority neighborhoods. Neither they--nor any other group--should be criticized for this, period!
Sorry if I misunderstood. I have a slight tendency to read too much into things sometimes.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM

128 posts, read 130,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Saying "looks pathetic" is begging for a response. You probably got the reaction you wanted. Good for you.

It's funny how I an being criticized for wanting diversity when other posters found far harsher words for a map where there was " too much red" in other forums. But perhaps you are a racist and anybody else isn't welcome in your opinion. I just think this homogenous map is pathetic.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryC View Post
It's funny how I an being criticized for wanting diversity when other posters found far harsher words for a map where there was " too much red" in other forums. But perhaps you are a racist and anybody else isn't welcome in your opinion. I just think this homogenous map is pathetic.
LOL. That is really all I have for you at that time. Are you posts sponsored and brought to us by the word "pathetic?"

Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM

130 posts, read 322,238 times
Lack of diversity is a negative in my view as well.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
In El Paso's case, it depends on how you define diversity. If you count all the people who check Hispanic on a survery and call it a day, then yeah, not a lot of variety. It seems everyone refuses to acknowledge how much farther along El Paso has been as far as integration than most of the country. Does everyone in El Paso have two Hispanic parents who each had two Hispanic parents? Not at all. But in other places, where there is a Black side of town, a Hispanic side of town, etc, that is much more common. There is diversity here. Maybe not the exact type you are looking for. But there is some here.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
It's geography. It's like me going to Wisconsin and complaining that there are to many whites.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 AM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
There is no diversity in El Paso but that can be said of a lot of places.
I would love for there to be more diversity for my kids but that will not happen here. we are right by Mexico so... and people that come here already knowing that.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 AM

130 posts, read 322,238 times
In regards to Hispanics, most in el paso are from the area. I'm sure there are some from southern mexico but by and large the area is geographically isolated from both Texas and mexico. It would be interesting to see some data on this as well. I always viewed the city as an island in the desert which has developed it's own culture and it's own set of rules. I think it has both positive and negative reprocussions.
Negative: low wages, rampant nepotism, and lack of ammenities that larger more diverse cities offer. For example, The Mexican food here is from northern Mexico, we don't have southern Mexican or south American food. The art museum does not have works from around the globe, it focuses on local artists. And so on...
Positive: low crime and friendly tight nit community. I am not sure how other experiences have gone, but i feel a safety and comfort that i never did in other places. Also, and this is my own speculation, since el paso is slow to incorporate outside influences, it has been able to maintain it's own identity while other cities along th I-10 in west Texas have become freeway stops between east Texas and California.

But that is just my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso