Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

In the top ten for largest metros. Congratulations

2010 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 AM

130 posts, read 322,148 times
The institute ranked cities by "how well they are creating and sustaining jobs and economic growth. The components include job, wage and salary, and technology growth. In most years, these give a good indication of the underlying structural performance of regional economics." If that is the case I am not sure how we edged out houston/sugarland at #10 or Dallas at #17. Fort Bliss or UTEP? Also, I wouldn't think the borderland had a good regional economy.

I tried to download the report but they wanted $20. I am very curious as to see what data they are using.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alov0303 View Post
The institute ranked cities by "how well they are creating and sustaining jobs and economic growth. The components include job, wage and salary, and technology growth. In most years, these give a good indication of the underlying structural performance of regional economics." If that is the case I am not sure how we edged out houston/sugarland at #10 or Dallas at #17. Fort Bliss or UTEP? Also, I wouldn't think the borderland had a good regional economy.

I tried to download the report but they wanted $20. I am very curious as to see what data they are using.
The LC Sun News quoted this from the report referring to both El Paso's and Las Cruces' high rankings (Las Cruces ranked #8 on the smallest metro list):

"The Milken Institute reports that, "Researchers found that metros whose economies are heavy on service industries such as health care and on large government employers like military bases have been shielded from the job losses suffered by cities more closely tied to the housing and financial sectors.""

Las Cruces named one of 'Best-performing cities' - Las Cruces Sun-News

Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 AM

I found an el paso times article with a similar discussion referencing a study by Portfolio.com: El Paso tops income growth: Mayor among skeptics, noting languishing wages - El Paso Times

highlights:
- per-capita income for El Paso +212% (1984 to 2009)
- G. Scott Thomas (projects editor for Portfolio.com) "Your income levels do remain extremely low, but the record in the past quarter-century has been one of strong growth toward improving that situation,"

Lowlights:
- El Paso ranks 99/100 in per capita income for the 100 largest cities.
- Mayor John Cook: "It was easy to make progress (in income growth) when you're so close to the bottom,"
- Bill Gilmer (senior economist and vice president of the El Paso branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas) " What has really helped El Paso, he said, is that its population has been growing at a slower rate than much of the Southwest, and that translates to a smaller pie being divided as income grows"

Why:
Concensus seems to lie in how El Paso grew. Tom Fullerton (economics professor at UTEP) and Cindy Ramos-Davidson (chief executive officer of the El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce) both cited public works and infastructure relate growh, i.e. Fort Bliss, UTEP, and the Texas Tech medical school. I would throw in freeway construction as well ($146 million project: $146 Million Project To Begin In East El Paso - News Story - KFOX El Paso)

My personal opinion is that public works growth doesn't address the needs of El Paso in a meaningful way (high income employment) nor does it generate any sort of product that is sustainable. Relying on outside funded projects for employment is like living on Daddy's credit card in college. As Fort Bliss grows, employment in construction/customer service (Walmart/McDonalds) is increased and new residents are added to the city, but we we still don't have jobs to keep them or our UTEP graduates here. Though, UTEP/Texas Tech medical offer high income employment, they are funded through an outside government organization. We still don't have an industry that can bring in income via producible goods without a defacto hand out. Example from other cities: Dallas/Raleigh (banking), Seattle (Boeing, computer tech., etc.), Houston (energy), NY (banking, etc.), San Fransico (computer tech., banking, shipping, etc.), Indianapolis (medical, pharmacuticals, etc.), ...

Dallas - Banking, Houston - energy UTEP and the Texas Tech medical schools are similar but do have some benefit

Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The LC Sun News quoted this from the report referring to both El Paso's and Las Cruces' high rankings (Las Cruces ranked #8 on the smallest metro list):

"The Milken Institute reports that, "Researchers found that metros whose economies are heavy on service industries such as health care and on large government employers like military bases have been shielded from the job losses suffered by cities more closely tied to the housing and financial sectors.""

Las Cruces named one of 'Best-performing cities' - Las Cruces Sun-News
good find - makes alot of sense

Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alov0303 View Post
My personal opinion is that public works growth doesn't address the needs of El Paso in a meaningful way (high income employment) nor does it generate any sort of product that is sustainable. Relying on outside funded projects for employment is like living on Daddy's credit card in college. As Fort Bliss grows, employment in construction/customer service (Walmart/McDonalds) is increased and new residents are added to the city, but we we still don't have jobs to keep them or our UTEP graduates here. Though, UTEP/Texas Tech medical offer high income employment, they are funded through an outside government organization. We still don't have an industry that can bring in income via producible goods without a defacto hand out. Example from other cities: Dallas/Raleigh (banking), Seattle (Boeing, computer tech., etc.), Houston (energy), NY (banking, etc.), San Fransico (computer tech., banking, shipping, etc.), Indianapolis (medical, pharmacuticals, etc.), ...

Dallas - Banking, Houston - energy UTEP and the Texas Tech medical schools are similar but do have some benefit
These industries you mention create a lot of well-paying jobs, whereas El Paso has been attracting companies that have been producing goods and services for a long time...only it's industries like garment manufacture, food processing, agriculture, mining and smelting (the "mining" being mainly stone), assembly, and call centers. These jobs are often manual-labor-intensive, tend not to pay very well, and are highly susceptible to booms and busts and/or plant closures when the companies that own the plants move the jobs elsewhere looking to get cheaper and more docile labor.

Government projects, including military operations, eventually run their course, and the jobs they created go away, but corporations can be unreliable over the long term, too; they move or shut down operations, they downsize, they go out of business. Like in the Rust Belt.

I think you mean El Paso has to get the ability to generate lots of well-paying jobs locally.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM

[quote=atrabilius;16279125

I think you mean El Paso has to get the ability to generate lots of well-paying jobs locally.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Utep and Texas medical schools are a good start but it's only a start.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
Got to start somewhere. It is better than talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso