Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alov0303 View Post
I get a little over 2% of Hispanics not claiming mexican descent (9293 total). Not sure how this compares to other cities but it seems low. I was surprised at the percentage of Mexican descent with respect to total population (66%) - I thought it would be closer to 80%. Though, the difference could be attributed to shoppers from Juarez.

I find it odd that there aren't more Central Americans in El Paso, given that a lot of the Central American countries have had immigrants coming up here in droves for a long time, and that El Paso is right on the Mexican border and also has Fort Bliss, one of America's biggest army posts, right up against it. A lot of soldiers being of Guatemalan, Honduran, Salvadoran, Nicaraguan or Panamanian descent, like El Paso's own female POW Shoshana Johnson, who's originally from Panama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I find it odd that there aren't more Central Americans in El Paso, given that a lot of the Central American countries have had immigrants coming up here in droves for a long time, and that El Paso is right on the Mexican border and also has Fort Bliss, one of America's biggest army posts, right up against it. A lot of soldiers being of Guatemalan, Honduran, Salvadoran, Nicaraguan or Panamanian descent, like El Paso's own female POW Shoshana Johnson, who's originally from Panama.
Why is it odd?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:50 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
I imagine it would have to do with the fact that there is more "blue collar" work in Houston, DFW, etc so more immigrants flock to those cities than El Paso which results in El Paso having a small Central American population.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I imagine it would have to do with the fact that there is more "blue collar" work in Houston, DFW, etc so more immigrants flock to those cities than El Paso which results in El Paso having a small Central American population.
Those cities, or L.A.

It just seems to me that if a lot of Central American immigrants come up through Mexico, more of them should be going to El Paso or staying there instead of passing on through, if they're qualified for jobs there. And aren't there regular flights between El Paso and Guatemala City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, and Panama City? So if the El Paso job market can't serve them, well, okay, but it just seems to me that the Central American communities there should be bigger.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Those cities, or L.A.

It just seems to me that if a lot of Central American immigrants come up through Mexico, more of them should be going to El Paso or staying there instead of passing on through, if they're qualified for jobs there. And aren't there regular flights between El Paso and Guatemala City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, and Panama City? So if the El Paso job market can't serve them, well, okay, but it just seems to me that the Central American communities there should be bigger.
El paso does not even have direct flights to Mexico, what are you talking about??

Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
El paso does not even have direct flights to Mexico, what are you talking about??
Well, okay...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I always made light of this in the past... on departing El Paso, or Midland, I would ask where the "International Departure" gates were!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I always made light of this in the past... on departing El Paso, or Midland, I would ask where the "International Departure" gates were!
I do remember a weekly flight to Mexico City from one of the aeromexico regional airlines (think it was aerolitoral), but it did not last long. I recall being very expensive ticket when you could fly out of Juarez for substancially less (back when you did not fear for your life).

Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 PM

It would be simpler and maybe less expensive to emigrate to cities that have direct air service to your city of origin if you're traveling by air, but still, there's the land route through Mexico. If Central Americans are coming into El Paso through Mexico, then more of them should be staying instead of passing through. So either they're coming into this country mainly through other points on the border, or they're coming in from the Juarez area and then moving on for some reason.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
The first time I heard of El Paso, I originally think it's a high-crime city for a long time (since I was a small kid) because it's next to Juarez and the Mexico border. Then I was fooled and found out it's the 2nd safest city in the nation (no way). With the great weather, low-crime, next to Mexico, great food and fun, could El Paso possibly be rated the best city to live in United States with its population all (or almost) Hispanic?

I hear more positives in El Paso than Laredo, Brownsville, Hialeah Florida, and etc, so it makes me wonder if El Paso leads the pack? Only one city may be better, which is San Antonio, but I'm not sure.

No, I'm not Hispanic but Chinese. I'm just too astound with El Paso lately. And if I'm correct, Hispanic people like Chinese food, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong (no offense).
I must admit I wonder about your sincerity. You said you said El Paso was rated the second safest city in the nation then you go on with the remark "No way". Why no way? To me it seems you already have your bias on the issue.

If you had heard more positives of El Paso than the other cities you mentioned you wonder. Again, you seem to show bias in questioning El Paso having more positives. Why? You do not think a predominantly hispanic city can't have positives?

I did not take offense at all. However, I got the feeling you say no offense because deep inside you think it was offensive the way you expressed yourself. So do you mind clarifying why there is no way El Paso could be the second safest city?
Also, why do you wonder if El Paso leads the pack? Why is it difficult for you to accept that? Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso