Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times

Advertisements

Murders in Juarez, regardless of who is murdered, should count as a murder in Juarez. It makes no sense whatsoever to credit the victim's residence with the murder. Yes, if the murder happens in Juarez, the statistic should stay there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
January 2nd. El Paso is not off to a good start.
Breaking: El Paso Police investigate fatal shooting in Upper Valley - El Paso Times
About 12:10 p.m. today police were sent to a shooting call in the 5600 block of Melody Lane (west of Redd & Montoya). Two people were found dead outside of a home. The investigation continues.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
January 2nd. El Paso is not off to a good start.
Breaking: El Paso Police investigate fatal shooting in Upper Valley - El Paso Times
About 12:10 p.m. today police were sent to a shooting call in the 5600 block of Melody Lane (west of Redd & Montoya). Two people were found dead outside of a home. The investigation continues.
Only one murder out of that - and it was a domestic situation. Still no reason to lock your doors or worry about violence. And the killer isn't on the loose as he gave himself the death penalty.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
January 29th 2011 - El Paso surpasses # of 2010 murders

1/4/2011 murder/suicide, Upper Valley
01/23/2011 shot while sitting in car, 7:40pm Northeast
1/28/2011 mother/daughter stabbed at home, East side
1/28/2011 stabbed at downtown Rescue Mission
1/29/2011 fight at gas station at 2am, Northeast

Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 PM

And 2 already for this month. A 15 year old kid killed on the NE side in some gang fight, and the Mesa Inn homicide a couple of days ago.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
El Paso is really a fantastic place, IMO. You have high desert air, great food, and a moderate climate.

It IS a safe city, but it's sad to read those last two posts.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Now it's up to 9 murders.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM

46 posts, read 106,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Stop les clichés ! El Paso is one of the safest city in the US ! Surprised ?

How can a comparatively poor, high-immigration town that sits across the border from super-violent Ciudad Juarez be one of the safest big cities in America?

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine - by Radley Balko - July 6, 2009
There have been critics that have indicated that El Paso police report felonies as misdemeanors, and arbitrarily determinining charges in an effort to lower the city's true crime statistics.

My neighbor identified two young men who had burglarized my house two years ago, and later for some reason I was told there wasn't enough proof? I was once hit by a driver, who was clearly drunk. I pointed out to the police officer that the driver could barely walk. He told me he was not "licensed" to administer a breathalizer test and let the driver go. About 6 years ago someone drove over the curb in front of my house and the front plate got ripped off by the sign the driver apparently enjoyed knocking down. I called the police, and they acted like it was no big deal, and it seemed I was bothering them. Later, they did manage to send an officer down to collect the plate; I could tell by the way he considered the situtation, nothing was going to happen; the sign was also never replaced. The bottom line is, police get paid whether they do their job or not. I've had neighbors that have indicated similar problems over the years as well.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Now it's up to 9 murders.

yeah no kidding, not a good start to the new year, and it's not even summertime yet, hopefully things will calm down and we'll keep it under 20.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb62 View Post
There have been critics that have indicated that El Paso police report felonies as misdemeanors, and arbitrarily determinining charges in an effort to lower the city's true crime statistics.

My neighbor identified two young men who had burglarized my house two years ago, and later for some reason I was told there wasn't enough proof? I was once hit by a driver, who was clearly drunk. I pointed out to the police officer that the driver could barely walk. He told me he was not "licensed" to administer a breathalizer test and let the driver go. About 6 years ago someone drove over the curb in front of my house and the front plate got ripped off by the sign the driver apparently enjoyed knocking down. I called the police, and they acted like it was no big deal, and it seemed I was bothering them. Later, they did manage to send an officer down to collect the plate; I could tell by the way he considered the situtation, nothing was going to happen; the sign was also never replaced. The bottom line is, police get paid whether they do their job or not. I've had neighbors that have indicated similar problems over the years as well.
It seems the only thing EP police like to do is hand out traffic violations like it was candy. Maybe a little bit more "real" crime will have them busy for a change. j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso