Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,349,751 times

Advertisements

Stop les clichés ! El Paso is one of the safest city in the US ! Surprised ?

How can a comparatively poor, high-immigration town that sits across the border from super-violent Ciudad Juarez be one of the safest big cities in America?

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine - by Radley Balko - July 6, 2009

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:47 PM

719 posts, read 2,661,299 times
The vast majority of recent immigrants to El Paso migrate specifically to escape the unbearable violence in Juarez. Other than that, I don't know. The southern/western portion of Texas (e.g. San Antonio, Austin, The Valley, even Laredo) is generally very safe. Maybe there's something in our water? Or maybe the heat makes us too lazy to go out and commit crime. XP

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The El Paso Miracle

How can a comparatively poor, high-immigration town that sits across the border from super-violent Ciudad Juarez be one of the safest big cities in America?

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine
Because it can. That simple. The survey said so. What is so difficult about it?, take care.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 PM

194 posts, read 438,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Because it can. That simple. The survey said so. What is so difficult about it?, take care.
Wow, your snark is so insightful. It seems that the OP explained exactly "what is so difficult about it."

"comparatively poor, high-immigration town that sits across the border from super-violent Ciudad Juarez"

Do you see how I used the context to understand the question?

Last edited by JazzOne; 11-02-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,786,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
The vast majority of recent immigrants to El Paso migrate specifically to escape the unbearable violence in Juarez. Other than that, I don't know. The southern/western portion of Texas (e.g. San Antonio, Austin, The Valley, even Laredo) is generally very safe. Maybe there's something in our water? Or maybe the heat makes us too lazy to go out and commit crime. XP
Maybe there are a ton of law abiding armed citizens.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
Wow, your snark is so insightful. It seems that the OP explained exactly "what is so difficult about it."

"comparatively poor, high-immigration town that sits across the border from super-violent Ciudad Juarez"

Do you see how I used the context to understand the question?
When I am wrong I am wrong. That is what I get for reading something in a hurry instead of stopping and look more closely, sorry and my apologies. Next time it is better to not reply and wait when I have more time to read closely and reply, thanks for the correction, take care.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM

194 posts, read 438,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
When I am wrong I am wrong. That is what I get for reading something in a hurry instead of stopping and look more closely, sorry and my apologies. Next time it is better to not reply and wait when I have more time to read closely and reply, thanks for the correction, take care.
Well, now I feel bad. I thought you were just trying to be mean. Sorry.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The El Paso Miracle

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine
I think it's because it's easier to carry out crimes in Juarez and it's cheaper. A great number of people in El Paso are "binationals". They live on one side, work and go to school on the other or just hang out. A lot of crime is binational also since El Paso is the largest port for trafficking of all kinds.

If you want to hire a hitman, it's a lot cheaper to hire one in Juarez than in El Paso, and you're more likely to get caught in certain crimes in El Paso because of all the many cameras everywhere. If you do a driveby in Juarez, you can probably get away with it, but if you do it over here, there would be some camera catching the scene.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,839,967 times
Default The El Paso Anomaly

One thing I've been wondering, is just how the heck is El Paso's crime rate so low? Do a lot of crimes go unreported, or it's very effective policing, etc.? I find it truly astounding that a city with such a very low crime rate borders quite possibly the most dangerous city in North America.

Side question: What's the culture like in El Paso? Is it Mexican or something distinct and different from Mexican culture? Is Spanish widely spoken? What's the quality of life like? Are auto insurance rates high like in the RGV?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
A somewhat related article:

//www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...ose-whose.html

Actually a number of El Pasoans have been murdered in Juarez, and are arrested for criminal activities in Juarez. If the murder happens in Juarez or at least that's where the murder is discovered, it doesn't count in the El Paso statistics.

In fact one of the recent beheadings in Juarez, after the recent party massacre was of an El Paso man. Most likely they killed him in Juarez so it doesn't count as a murder here.

It all depends on who you are here. If you have no family involved in criminal activities, you're fine - just like in most cities, but if you're somehow involved, then you really aren't so safe. Some people suspect some of the bodies of El Pasoans found in Juarez could have been killed in El Paso and taken over there to be dumped or else kidnapped from El Paso and killed in Juarez.

They just arrested another El Paso woman in Juarez who was involved in weapons trafficking, and another recent case, a 16 year El Paso girl was arrested for participating in a kidnapping for ransom in Juarez.

A lot of our gang members here - and there are many - are involved in the cross-border crimes but they tend to be murdered on the other side of the river when they are murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso