Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times

Advertisements

**I am making a total of two (2) related posts separately here today. This is the second of two. (I thought with them being related, but touching on separate topics, it would be best to make them separately). ANY/ALL people that have resided, or currently reside, in El Paso (or nearby areas), that would have a chance to respond to this, it would be HEARTILY appreciated. Thanks in advance!**

At any event, this is my second question...

I am a 30-year old male with a wife, one 1.5-year old daughter and another child on the way. I have a college degree, a professional background in Business and Communications (I currently work for a community college in a staff position - earn a salary in the $41K range). (Admittedly, I am a gringo).

In my first post, I went into detail regarding why I have quite a bit of interest in relocating to El Paso (from Albuquerque), but much of it is related to the housing market, loving the weather, enjoying greatly the "vibe" and feel of the city and the locals, etc.

At any event, I think the one major obstacle between my family and I moving to El Paso being a dream to actual reality is a job.

I have heard horror stories regarding the market for jobs in El Paso. (Especially for a person of a business, marketing and communications background like me, rather than military or tech). Furthermore, I am not bilingual (despite desiring at some point to learn Spanish).

Is there any hope for me? Any positive, encouraging feedback would make me feel great!

In some aspects, my wife and I could be moved to El Paso or Horizon City within three months realistically, but the obstacle is the job. And the stigma (or reality?) of what I have heard is "good luck - there is nothing there."

I would have a great deal of interest in working for UTEP, EP Community College, or even NMSU/DACC (I do not mind commuting), but realize that I might need much more tenure as a staff member at my current college staff position to make myself lucrative to them.

If anyone can shed any positives for jobs, it would be heartily appreciated! However, if the job market for someone of my background is really that grim, I would appreciate the "dose of truth" as well. Then I suppose EP will just have to continue to be a vacation spot.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 PM

44 posts, read 244,454 times
I think you might have a good chance at landing a good career in the colleges and universities in this area. Our unemplyment rate is higher than other cities, last I checked it was at 6.5%, not the lowest rate and not the highest rate either. If you have a degree and some experience I think you won't have a hard time getting a good paying job in El Paso. Some jobs pay really low here, that is one bad side of El Paso, but there are also many decent to high paying jobs aswell. Being bi-lingual does help you get a job here..but it is not a necessity. The biggest areas for employment and the biggest need of employees in El Paso currently is the education systems and healthcare/nursing areas.

Here are some employment web pages to help you out and give you an idea of the positions available down here:
UTEP: http://www.utep.edu/employment/
El Paso Community College: http://www.epcc.edu/Hr/index.html (broken link)
NMSU: http://www.nmsu.edu/jobs.html
Texas Tech-El Paso also hires over a 1000 people to staff the school.
The El Paso area also has 9 public school districts which hire many people aswell.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM

194 posts, read 440,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
**I am making a total of two (2) related posts separately here today. This is the second of two. (I thought with them being related, but touching on separate topics, it would be best to make them separately). ANY/ALL people that have resided, or currently reside, in El Paso (or nearby areas), that would have a chance to respond to this, it would be HEARTILY appreciated. Thanks in advance!**

At any event, this is my second question...

I am a 30-year old male with a wife, one 1.5-year old daughter and another child on the way. I have a college degree, a professional background in Business and Communications (I currently work for a community college in a staff position - earn a salary in the $41K range). (Admittedly, I am a gringo).

In my first post, I went into detail regarding why I have quite a bit of interest in relocating to El Paso (from Albuquerque), but much of it is related to the housing market, loving the weather, enjoying greatly the "vibe" and feel of the city and the locals, etc.

At any event, I think the one major obstacle between my family and I moving to El Paso being a dream to actual reality is a job.

I have heard horror stories regarding the market for jobs in El Paso. (Especially for a person of a business, marketing and communications background like me, rather than military or tech). Furthermore, I am not bilingual (despite desiring at some point to learn Spanish).

Is there any hope for me? Any positive, encouraging feedback would make me feel great!

In some aspects, my wife and I could be moved to El Paso or Horizon City within three months realistically, but the obstacle is the job. And the stigma (or reality?) of what I have heard is "good luck - there is nothing there."

I would have a great deal of interest in working for UTEP, EP Community College, or even NMSU/DACC (I do not mind commuting), but realize that I might need much more tenure as a staff member at my current college staff position to make myself lucrative to them.

If anyone can shed any positives for jobs, it would be heartily appreciated! However, if the job market for someone of my background is really that grim, I would appreciate the "dose of truth" as well. Then I suppose EP will just have to continue to be a vacation spot.

Thanks!
Don't do it, man! There are no jobs in El Paso, especially if you don't speak Spanish. I don't know if you're still considering this. I hope I'm not too late. DON'T DO IT, BRAH!!!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
Don't do it, man! There are no jobs in El Paso, especially if you don't speak Spanish. I don't know if you're still considering this. I hope I'm not too late. DON'T DO IT, BRAH!!!!!
You are 51 months too late. According to his last 2009 post the OP moved to Albuquerque.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Its never too late to once again try and tell everyone that you need to speak Spanish to get a job here. I mean, I dont, and i have a full time job and small business, butt still...its worth bumping 51 months old threads to voice your opinion.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

194 posts, read 440,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You are 51 months too late. According to his last 2009 post the OP moved to Albuquerque.
Whew. Thank God I prevented that disaster.

Last edited by JazzOne; 11-09-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso