Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times

Advertisements

That multi-story hotel downtown, off of I-10, on the corner of Missouri and El Paso street. Kind a seedy looking. Anyone if it's still around? If so, what's the name these days. Thanks. - P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,064 times
I think you mean the old International Hotel. It's been recently announced that this is going to be renovated to be a Hilton Doubletree. Construction has already begun with an opening date of spring of '09. Looks to be a really nice addition to downtown:

http://www.elpasoinc.com/showArticleSearch.asp?issueid=118&archive=1&articl eid=1104 (broken link)

Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times
Holmes: Yep, that's the one. Thanks!! I couldn't remember the name; thanks for the info and link -- interesting story. I stayed there about 20 years ago before it got run down and fondly remember waking up, sitting on the balcony, sipping a cup of joe, and staring out at all of east El Paso on a hot july morning -- an El Paso moment. I guess I gotta wait until '09 to visit again.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM

No problem.. that hotel has been run down for so long it's nice to see someone with the guts to really do something good for downtown.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
They actually have a white sheet(??) or something covering it up lately..have you seen the building lately holmes? It also has a sign on it, saying "from eyesore to ?" I forgot what the last part says.

I agree, it is really nice for it to become a top notch hotel once again..it was being used by homeless people for a while and they had burned parts of that building..so it is awesome that it will be a great hotel once again..its in a great location for Downtown too.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 PM

Yep, the eastern side of the building has a banner that says "From eyesore to Focal point". The western side says "From rumor to reality". Pretty cool. I live literally like 2 or 3 blocks away, so yeah progress is coming along nicely. They've had those huge plastic tarps over it for several weeks, but they recently put up those banners.. I think right before the 4th of july weekend. So I'm sure that was a little PR buzz. Speaking of which, how 'bout that Downtown Street Fest? That was just crazy packed! A few friends & relatives all met at my house and we all walked over. Impressive. We need more events like that, but I'm definitely looking forward to next year..

Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
They actually have a white sheet(??) or something covering it up lately..have you seen the building lately holmes? It also has a sign on it, saying "from eyesore to ?" I forgot what the last part says.

I agree, it is really nice for it to become a top notch hotel once again..it was being used by homeless people for a while and they had burned parts of that building..so it is awesome that it will be a great hotel once again..its in a great location for Downtown too.
It says, "From Rumor to reality" on the other side "From eyesore to focal point"

Awesome to have another Hilton Property in El Paso, and to give some competition to the old Camino Real which is in dire need of a renovation

Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,480 times
Does anyone know why the old Camino Real Hotel (or whatever it is called next to the Plaza) hasn't been renovated or isn't slated for renovation? That just perplexes me no end. It is a potential magnificent property but its just slowly deteriorating. I don't get it really. I have toured a room or two just to see if visitors might want to stay there. Its okay but nothing special. They have that great bar-I tried to see a presidential type suite which I bet is up on the top floors but they were not into showing it to me. I was thinking of having a big New Year's type party up there or something (not like throwing chairs out the window type . I would love to hear ideas on who owns it, why its just sitting there, why no one has thought to make it a national historic hotel property (lots of benies go with that designation) etc. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 AM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,928 times
Hoteles Camino Real

It used to be a Westin before, not sure who owns it.

But since they didn't have any real competition, why bother renovating it.

Hopefully the Hilton Garden Inn and the upcoming DoubleTree will do the trick

Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Does anyone know why the old Camino Real Hotel (or whatever it is called next to the Plaza) hasn't been renovated or isn't slated for renovation? That just perplexes me no end. It is a potential magnificent property but its just slowly deteriorating. I don't get it really. I have toured a room or two just to see if visitors might want to stay there. Its okay but nothing special. They have that great bar-I tried to see a presidential type suite which I bet is up on the top floors but they were not into showing it to me. I was thinking of having a big New Year's type party up there or something (not like throwing chairs out the window type . I would love to hear ideas on who owns it, why its just sitting there, why no one has thought to make it a national historic hotel property (lots of benies go with that designation) etc. Thanks.
Actually there are already plans to open it back up in the next 2 years or so, says the owner of the hotel Paul Dipp. He's currently looking at either reopening as a hotel or as luxury apartments. I hope to see the former.. You can read about it here in an old issue of the El Pasoan (5th article down):

The El Pasoan | Showcasing The Vibrant Businesses, Culture, & People of Downtown El Paso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: