Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM

44 posts, read 244,052 times

Advertisements

Please consider this:

Men's Health magazine has just ranked El Paso as being one of the top 10 happiest cities in America for the 2nd straight year. Last year El Paso was ranked #2 overall among the 100 largest cities in the country, this year El Paso was ranked #8 happiest city in the U.S.

Some neighboring cities didn't fare too well.
Angriest cities (from angriest to least angriest, out of 100 cities ranked)
14. Albuquerque, NM
16. Dallas, TX
17. Houston, TX
18. Tucson, AZ
26. Denver, CO
29. Fort Worth, TX
30. Phoenix, AZ
31. Lubbock, TX
36. Los Angeles, CA
60. San Antonio, TX
81. Austin, TX
92. El Paso, TX

No wonder people in the El Paso tend to be really friendly, it is nice to know that it shows in studies like this.

For anyone who wants to know.. Manchester, NH was this years #1 happiest city and Orlando, FL was ranked as the #1 angriest city.

The survey studied the percentage of men with high blood pressure, FBI rates of aggravated assaults, statistics on workplace deaths from assaults and other violence, traffic-congestion data, speeding citations, and road rage incidents.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:35 PM

806 posts, read 2,874,447 times
I'm shocked! Mickeytown NOT the happiest place on earth?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
I'm shocked! Mickeytown NOT the happiest place on earth?
LOL! that is exactly what I was thinking!
I got the article from an MSN Health website and it said this about Orlando:
"Yes, Orlando, home of the Magic Kingdom and mandated happiness. Who knows? Maybe living in Goofyville wears thin after 35 years."

LOL! maybe it's all those lost tourists that are driving the locals nuts?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:57 PM

806 posts, read 2,874,447 times
Having recently come back from there, I can't say I blame the locals for being high strung. I saw plenty of evidence to make me believe either the tourists were truly clueless, or their minds also went on vacation, but elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,670,187 times
Wow - great find - thanks NativeTXn! More fuel to my "pro-relocation to El Paso" fire!

If there are any more lists that EP ranks highly on that you come across (besides the general crime ones, which always show how pleasantly safe EP is) I would love to see them!

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM

65 posts, read 304,658 times
Nice post NT. Will be visiting there in December. Its ironic because I live in New Hampshire about 50 miles from Manchester which I been there many times.

I hate leaving NH because it is rated the best states to live in #1. But the weather I am getting tired of cold for 6 months. Summers are great as well as fall. Having some allergy issues is making me think about relocating.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:17 AM

362 posts, read 1,114,304 times
Cool "Felina" on the El Paso Forum...hmm.

I can't help but notice your name "felina" on the El Paso forum site. Reminds me of the Marty Robbins song "El Paso". Remember the lyrics; "Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina" and "down off the hill to Felina I go..."?

Can't help but think this is purposeful. Perhaps I'm too much of an old western music fan...

Old 08-19-2006, 08:39 PM

152 posts, read 730,769 times
Default Angry City that makes you laugh

The angriest city is probably New York City......I lived there for ten years....actually alot of it had a comical twist. I was in a grocery store behind two ladies. The one at the cashier had a loaf of bread and the one behind here had a frozen chicken. The belt at the cashier station kept moving and pushed the chicken against the other ladies bread. The lady with the bread said to the other one WHY IS YOUR CHICKEN ON MY BREAD! The other lady explained she couldn't help it. The other lady shouted over and over WHY IS YOUR #$@&%! CHICKEN ON MY BREAD! She got closer and closer to the other lady and stared her down with a very hot red angry face and glare.If the line hadn't moved any faster I'am sure they would have gotten in a nasty physical cat fight.
One other thing I saw was a disgruntled courier. He was frustrated waiting for traffic to easy so he could cross the street. He threw his bike into on coming traffic....You could hear his cussing a block away

Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Wow - great find - thanks NativeTXn! More fuel to my "pro-relocation to El Paso" fire!

If there are any more lists that EP ranks highly on that you come across (besides the general crime ones, which always show how pleasantly safe EP is) I would love to see them!

Thanks!
Sorry, I was away for a few days.

El Paso has been on a few good lists lately.

El Paso was recently ranked as the #1 best mid-size city to start a business by Entrepreneur magazine.

In Sperlings Best Places website, El Paso had a good stress ranking. El Paso was ranked #59 among 100 cities in stress..in other words the #1 ranking was the most stressful and #100 was least stressful. Other Southwest and Texas cities usually had higher stress rankings:
#4 Las Vegas, NV
#10 Dallas, TX
#13 Houston, TX
#17 Denver, CO
#20 Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
#28 San Antonio, TX
#29 Albuquerque, NM
#30 Tucson, AZ
#32 Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA
#59 El Paso, TX
#60 Austin-San Marcos, TX

In another recent study by Sperling's and MSN, El Paso came in at #1 for their "The Top 10 least expensive places for driving" study:
#1 El Paso, Texas
Annual Cost: $2,736
Gal. per day: 1.6
They had this to say:
"El Paso has it good
It'll come as no surprise, then, that the least expensive cities for driving all had one thing in common; at around 30 miles per day, the average commute was much shorter than the most expensive cities."

Atlanta came in at #1 for most expensive places for driving:
#1 Atlanta, Ga.
Annual Cost: $5,772
Gal. per day: 3.3

In another recent study by J.D. Power and Associates El Paso's airport came in ranked at #9 in the U.S. for overall airport satisfaction:
New York LaGuardia International (LGA) 722
Dallas Love Field (DAL) 718
Houston Hobby International (HOU) 718
Chicago Midway International (MDW) 709
Baltimore Washington International (BWI) 706
Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS) 706
Orange County John Wayne (SNA) 706
Southwest Florida International (RSW) 705
El Paso International (ELP) 704

Other Southwest and Texas airports had lower ratings:
San Antonio International (SAT) 701
Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX) 693
Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ) 678
Tucson International (TUS) 677
Austin-Bergstrom International (AUS) 672

Another Sperling's study was for migraine headache hot spots, El Paso came in #4 best city for migraine sufferers:
(Out of 110 cities ranked, #1 the worst #110 the best)
1 Cincinnati OH
54 Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
64 Tucson AZ
65 Austin-San Marcos TX
82 Dallas-Fort Worth TX
83 Albuquerque NM
95 Houston-Galveston-Brazoria TX
100 San Antonio TX
107 El Paso TX
110 New Haven-Bridgeport-Stamford CT

MSN House & Home Reports recently did a study on "Top 10 Cities With Best, Worst Commutes" El Paso came in ranked as #8 in their top 10 most drivable cities list, Corpus Cristi, TX came in at #1 best commute city, Los Angeles, CA was #1 worst commute city.

In 2004, Money Magazine ranked the "Best Metro Areas for Retirement" and seven metros were chosen in no particular order:
Atlanta, GA, El Paso, TX, Jacksonville, FL, Las Vegas NV, Oakland, CA, Phoenix, AZ, and Raleigh, NC were their top choices.
Here is what they said about El Paso:
El Paso, TX - Along with Cuidad Juarez, its sister city, El Paso brackets the Rio Grande and the Mexican border. The 131-year-old town blends Texan, Mexican and Native American cultures. Home to Fort Bliss, El Paso is a major military center, complete with a military museum. The city has its own symphony orchestra, and the art galleries and craft shops of Las Cruces, N.M., are only an hour away. Within the city, Franklin Mountains State Park offers 118 miles of trails as well as a scenic backdrop for elegant homes. El Paso's a spectacular place to bargain hunt; a trolley service can take you to Mexico and back.

There are more lists, some are good and some are bad, but those are the only ones I could find right now.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felina View Post
Nice post NT. Will be visiting there in December. Its ironic because I live in New Hampshire about 50 miles from Manchester which I been there many times.

I hate leaving NH because it is rated the best states to live in #1. But the weather I am getting tired of cold for 6 months. Summers are great as well as fall. Having some allergy issues is making me think about relocating.
Thanks Felina, I hope you and your wife enjoy your trip to El Paso.

I have never been to NH or even the Notheast part of the country, but I would like to check it out one day..I'm sure it is really nice up there, but i can see how you can get tired of the 6 months of cold weather.

David Pristupa, I have never been to New York but I have heard some weird stories about the mean people up there. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso