Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 PM

32 posts, read 72,760 times

Advertisements

Do any parts of El Paso have older houses (pre WWII)? Or more traditional walkable neighborhoods?

I know most homes in El Paso are newer stock and the region is car oriented. But I was hoping I could find a few old fashion pockets amongst the newer construction.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
El Paso was already a large city prior to WWII, so the answer is YES!

Depending on what your particular architectural reference is, El Paso has "traditional" homes in both the Mexican adobe style and eastern American "bungalow" style.

The best preserved neighborhoods are Kern Place/Rim Road, Memorial Park and Loretto Academy areas. Sunset Heights is also seeing a renaissance with some older homes being restored by those who can afford the costs.

The maps referenced are for 1929, top - and 1962, bottom.

Last edited by joqua; 11-30-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,852,712 times
joqua is right. Kern Place, Memorial Park and Government Hill ( Cumberland Circle area) are the older parts of town. For me, Kern is the best of them.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM

32 posts, read 72,760 times
Wow! Thanks so much guys! I wasn't expecting to find areas like these.

I'll have to look into these more but from my initial google street research the following seems to be the case:

- Kern: One story Mexican adobe style houses.
- Memorial Park: Two story American Bungalow style.
- Loretto Academy: One story American Bungalow style.
- Sunset Heights: Maybe the oldest area? Larger, more formal American style houses.

From reading other threads here EP seems to be divided between West and East. West seems to be more expensive. So I'm guess pricing goes something like this for the above four areas (most expensive to least):

1. Kern
2. Sunset Heights
3. Memorial Park
4. Loretto Academy

Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times
trulia.com will give you listing & sales prices in these areas,
zillow.com will give assessed values (Zestimates).

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post
Wow! Thanks so much guys! I wasn't expecting to find areas like these.

I'll have to look into these more but from my initial google street research the following seems to be the case:

- Kern: One story Mexican adobe style houses.
WAY OFF on your assessment of Kern Place homes. There are MANY large two-story "mansion" style homes around and in close proximity to Madeline Park. Single story homes come in a WIDE variety of exteriors - from native rock, red brick to stucco over masonry. There were very few vacant lots in the development prior to WWII - having been filled in by 1939. Kern Place in 1939 was bounded by Mesita, Mesa, Robinson and Piedmont streets. Newest houses at that time were on Mesita, Piedmont and Moore. Mesita was the city limit until about 1950.

It wasn't until the late 1950s that desert land north of Mesita began developing - now known as Coronado area generally.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,485 times
That joqua's awesome.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
That joqua's awesome.
Awwwww...BLUSH!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,852,712 times
Joqua, you DO predate me. LOL There was always Coronado Hills in my memory. Had a good friend that lived on Fandango. :-)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Joqua, you DO predate me. LOL There was always Coronado Hills in my memory.
Well, it's no secret that I was born in 1935. My folks bought their first and only house (childhood home) on Mesita in 1939, luckily before the war took effect. Not long before, an American Airlines plane crashed right where the house would later be built. They traded it for a condo in east El Paso in 1978.

My playground was the desert that began on the other side of the street from our house. There were no houses across the street until development began to move north of Mesita in the 1950s. In 1954, to be exact, a house finally was finished across the street.

There was a one block stretch of homes that were built prior to 1942, on an extension of N. Stanton St. I don't know if they were considered "in the city" or not. Most of Mesita was developed on both sides of the street, but not the very un-buildable lots like the one across from my house. What is now Alethea Park was nothing but rocks and creosote bushes and was our "backyard" as long as my folks owned the home.

Not sure how many know the name of the smaller "mountain" upon which now some very exclusive homes have been built. It's long been called CRAZY CAT by we locals. I knew that mountain and "The Palisades" like the back of my hand. Legend has it that it's named for a wildcat often seen roaming that area in olden days . I personally caught "wild" burros that roamed the foothills in those days. We kids would lead them home and ride them when we could then let them go when feeding became a problem.

My entire extended family liked to sit on our front porch in warm weather when they came to visit. At night we could see the slag being dumped at the smelter, lighting the sky with the orange glow. Like 4th of July every night. On the other hand, I spent MANY a day choking on the sulfurous discharges from the smelter stacks to the point that even today I am overly sensitive to anything akin to sulfur dioxide (a preservative in foods).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: