Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nyskibum View Post
As a recent Ft. Bliss General was quoted...why would they mess up a good thing an f*c* with the US Army. In about five minutes every border entry in this region would be shut tight virtually eliminating the cartel pipeline to cash, weapons and money laundering in ELP. We've lived here for a little over a year and there is so much protection here that we have no idea exists that there's no wonder why its the safest city of its size in the US.
^^This.
Sure, there may be an incident now and again, but, wholesale mayhem like what's happening over the border, not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Yep, local law enforcement agencies do a great job.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:25 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Yep, local law enforcement agencies do a great job.
^^^That is great. Does this keep the concern concensus lowered of the violence spilling over? Going by the majority of the different posts in different threads, El Paso seems exceedingly safe for a metroploitan area of its size. That is great in my book.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
El Paso is pretty safe - I've walked in all the old neighborhoods and have a house in one of them. Malamute you ought to be smart enough to not use anecdotal evidence to make a case especially in an area of over 700,000 people. If you don't understand what I'm saying, spend a few minutes where you can actually learn something before posting and you can really add to the knowledge base.

Examples of anecdotal evidence;

"The Yugo was not such a bad car, my uncle's neighbor had one and it seemed to run ok (but out of 200,000 sold maybe half broke down)"

"Nazis were good people - I heard about one who would always feed and pet his dog"

"Lions are really gentle creatures who would never harm anyone or anything- I saw this trainer at the zoo hugging a big lion who was actually purring"

Finally "All crime statistics point to El Paso being one of the safer cities for violent crime, yes but malamute read about a murder in the paper" Get it?

OF course my example of walking in all the old neighborhoods and living in one is not much better and still anecdotal although over many years perhaps less so.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
El Paso is pretty safe - I've walked in all the old neighborhoods and have a house in one of them. Malamute you ought to be smart enough to not use anecdotal evidence to make a case especially in an area of over 700,000 people. If you don't understand what I'm saying, spend a few minutes where you can actually learn something before posting and you can really add to the knowledge base.

OF course my example of walking in all the old neighborhoods and living in one is not much better and still anecdotal although over many years perhaps less so.
Actually I provided a link to an actual case. Yours is just anecdotal.

I also walk around unworried, and really who would feel the need to lock their doors at night here but it's not just about us who have no enemies, I certainly know actual people who disappeared out of here to be found dead in Juarez. But yes they owed money to someone and got involved in things they shouldn't have done but it's doubtful they went to Juarez all on their own accord.

And it's true that as long as the body gets found in Juarez that it only counts as a Juarez crime. The only problem in that Horizon case was there were witnesses and the kidnappers boasted. Otherwise that would be just another non-statistic.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it's true that as long as the body gets found in Juarez that it only counts as a Juarez crime.
As it should be. That is not a case of cooking the books. It should only be counted as an El Paso statistic if there is concrete evidence that the crime took place here and the body was transported to Juarez. Otherwise, it's speculation.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Malamute - you obviously have no ability to learn. You "Posted an actual case whoopie that shows you don't understand the concept and even though I'm a former teacher trying to educate you is a hopeless case.

Even if the case of the lion being petted at the zoo was DOCUMENTED, PHOTOGRAPHED, and SWORN TO BY 100 onlookers it would be ANECDOTAL. One instance doesn't make a case. You're using the term incorrectly and not its scientific use. Read through the examples I gave and even if each were proved it would still be unreliable.

Here's another term "STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT" Malamute fill in the blanks. "If you use one murder to prove a city of 700,000 is unsafe that one murder would be S_________________ I_________________.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
In Juarez there is so much violence and trouble. Do you worry that it will spill over the border?
No, because 1) There is no incentive for cartels to spread that type of violence over here, and 2) The U.S. has a far more capable and efficient law enforcement system in place.

The cartels are not terrorists. They don't create violence for the sake of doing damage. They have very specific goals in mind, and they wouldn't want to sabotage those goals by bringing violence onto this side of the border. (Granted, cartels already do have presences in every major U.S. city anyway).

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM

39 posts, read 102,835 times
El Paso is very safe from outright violence. However, the presence of cartels and drug traffic is palpable in terms of stash houses, money laundering, and corruption.

You do have to wonder about neighbors who keep to themselves and have a lot of unusual traffic in and out of their houses.
You have to wonder, if someone seems prosperous and yet has no visible source of income, how are they getting rich?
And if so many people have been killed in a turf war over ACCESS to El Paso transit routes, you do have to wonder how much is coming through and who is letting this get through.

I don't mean to sound paranoid. El Paso is safe, and you are more likely to encounter violent crime in major other major metro areas. But the psychic scars are there. Many El Pasoans, at least those who are long-time residents with roots here, know of someone who has been killed, at times in gruesome ways. And many of us feel bound by family, work, education, church work or other responsibilities to continue to visit Juarez.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
As it should be. That is not a case of cooking the books. It should only be counted as an El Paso statistic if there is concrete evidence that the crime took place here and the body was transported to Juarez. Otherwise, it's speculation.
Or it happened but doesn't get included in the statistics because it's so very very easily done.

Really if I wanted to murder someone, I would and just stuff the body in the trunk of my car and get it over to Juarez and dump it. What I'd probably do is just beat them up and take them to Juarez while still alive just in case I got caught before getting over there.

It would be interesting to see the stats on how many so-called El Pasoans have been murdered in Juarez because that would show how many people living here are seriously involved in the cartel activities. Some of the kidnappers and sicarios are straight out of El Paso. Juarez really is our sister city. Like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: