Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I don't know if this question can honestly be answered at this specific forum. We shall see. I am no economist. I am not a financial power player. I honestly have a question.

What exactly does Fort Bliss bring to the table as far as the economy in El Paso?

I was surfing some of the message boards of the local news stations. I realize a lot of military employees and their families don't want to be here. I stay away from a lot of the arguments. There is nothing to gain by joining in those specific online arguments. A lot of the newer transplants (at those boards) often say "El Paso is nothing without Fort Bliss" and/or "El Paso would be ghost town without Fort Bliss."

I have all the respect in the world for Fort Bliss but (in my experience) I have never found any real evidence of that.

I am asking for an honest enlightenment about their impact on the Sun City. I not talking about temporary things like the construction of new apartments and/or roads.

I am 36 years old. I have been in my full time career for 17 years. I have owned my small business for 11 years. Fort Bliss, and/or military employees and their families, are not even one percent of my business or clientele. I am not foolish enough to think my sole experience represents anything more than just me.

I also understand that it would be a loss (financially) if Fort Bliss closed up shop. I just don't see how anyone would think we would become a ghost town without it. Anyone have info that could educate me on this subject?
No, I do not think El Paso would become a ghostown if Ft. Bliss closed down. However, what would be the major industry in El Paso without Bliss?
As it is, many El Pasoans have expressed they want to leave this city because of lack of opportunities.
How many employment opportunities do exist because of Bliss? If they were gone, how many more or less people would either stay or leave?
Take away the military families and how big would El Paso be?
If you take away all the jobs available with the federal government, how many people would loose their jobs and how much would that affect the economy and with that in mind how many would leave El Paso due to job scarcity.
There have been some articles stating that the recession has not affected El Paso and comment that the Bliss expansion has been an employment boom. They are things to consider, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 AM

18 posts, read 33,587 times
I live in military housing on post and we pay $1600 a month to live there. Base allowance for housing is given to a service member as compensation for their work and service. I am not sure that you can compare the financing of military housing to "housing projects" The housing is managed by a private corporation which employs many El Pasoans to help manage and maintain the houses. The money is also used to pay the local utlility companies for the service provided. The military will always rely on the community for housing. Not "just because" but because there is a formula whereby they determine how many families the community can support and then mandate the number of houses that the privitized (on post) housing must provide. There is a 1-2 year waiting period to get into post housing currently. So... the majority of new families will be out in the community paying rent and utilities along those who live there because they want to be a part of the community.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 33,587 times
I agree that it is not EVERYTHING. But it does have a strong influence and it would be a different El paso without it. Not more not less, just different. I am a military spouse and like the distinct personality of El Paso. I am glad that the military does not "season" the entire town!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,141,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna91 View Post
I agree that it is not EVERYTHING. But it does have a strong influence and it would be a different El paso without it. Not more not less, just different. I am a military spouse and like the distinct personality of El Paso. I am glad that the military does not "season" the entire town!
Agreed.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,604,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna91 View Post

Great point about the military not seasoning the whole city. Back when I was in Norfolk,Va in the Navy, the military is,and has seasoned the whole entire Hampton Roads Area. That entire region would cease to exist without the military influence/presence.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
No, I do not think El Paso would become a ghostown if Ft. Bliss closed down. However, what would be the major industry in El Paso without Bliss?
As it is, many El Pasoans have expressed they want to leave this city because of lack of opportunities.
How many employment opportunities do exist because of Bliss? If they were gone, how many more or less people would either stay or leave?
Take away the military families and how big would El Paso be?
If you take away all the jobs available with the federal government, how many people would loose their jobs and how much would that affect the economy and with that in mind how many would leave El Paso due to job scarcity.
There have been some articles stating that the recession has not affected El Paso and comment that the Bliss expansion has been an employment boom. They are things to consider, take care.
Probably the call centers which combined provide a good portion of the jobs here, then the schools and hospitals. There would be no more William Beaumont or VA center.

There would be far less need of middle class housing without the military, it would be government housing projects and big mansions with high security fences as Juarez relocates to this side of the border.

Fort Bliss has been here from the start - but imagine El Paso if there had never been the military here, far fewer retired military families and all many ethnicities brought here by Fort Bliss - including people from the Philipines, Germany, Korea - not that there are very many but they are what provides that special kind of mix of people the military makes.

If Fort Bliss had never been here, we'd be just like any other little border town, Columbus, NM for example.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,171,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If Fort Bliss had never been here, we'd be just like any other little border town, Columbus, NM for example.
Oh my...that really seems a stretch to me!

El Paso's history is rich and varied and always has been reliant on the fact that it was a crossing point (re: commerce) on the King's Highway, and before that was an important Indian enclave. Comparing it to Columbus has to take into consideration the MAJOR difference - total lack of surface water resources -vs- having the flowing Rio Grande in days before it was dammed up.

El Paso was a sleepy village of adobes with a meandering little acequia until the railroad arrived, bringing with it the building materials and other commerce that caused the city to boom after its arrival. The military became a significant presence only after the USA needed to protect its "new" border with Mexico.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I wouldn't say Columbus, NM, but if Ft Bliss never existed, El Paso probably wouldn't have 800,000 people in it.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,141,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
I wouldn't say Columbus, NM, but if Ft Bliss never existed, El Paso probably wouldn't have 800,000 people in it.
Malamute would have loved that part!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,171,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Malamute would have loved that part!
ME TOO! I probably wouldn't mind driving there (as I do now) if it were still the size it was when I last lived there in 1975!

Or better yet, when where I lived on Mesita as a boy growing up was the city limit!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso