Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 AM

6 posts, read 15,072 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

we're about to move to El Paso in 3 weeks. We are really excited but since none of us have ever been anywhere near El Paso I got a couple of ???

First I need some area info. I've been checking apartments and we really like one in particular, it's on Viscount blvd and called Shadowridge. I brought it up to my mother in law who is currently stationed in Bliss and she told me that Viscount blvd is the worst and most dangerous area. But when I tried to find out about the neighborhood it said that those apartments are in the Cielo Vista neighborhood which is supposed to be nice and decent?? So any input or info on this would be appreciated :-).

Second, is it true that there are virtually no jobs for people who are not bilingual? I am bilingual I just don't speak Spanish lol.

Daycares or any good pre-K's for my almost 4 year old that any one could suggest?

Is there a lot to do there? Everyone we know who has been stationed there hated it and says there is nothing to do there. I like to stay open minded to new places and would like some input from people who are enjoying El Paso.

Forgot what else I was going to ask...anyways any other info that you can think of that could be use useful would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer_mia View Post
Hello everyone,

we're about to move to El Paso in 3 weeks. We are really excited but since none of us have ever been anywhere near El Paso I got a couple of ???

First I need some area info. I've been checking apartments and we really like one in particular, it's on Viscount blvd and called Shadowridge. I brought it up to my mother in law who is currently stationed in Bliss and she told me that Viscount blvd is the worst and most dangerous area. But when I tried to find out about the neighborhood it said that those apartments are in the Cielo Vista neighborhood which is supposed to be nice and decent?? So any input or info on this would be appreciated :-).

Second, is it true that there are virtually no jobs for people who are not bilingual? I am bilingual I just don't speak Spanish lol.

Daycares or any good pre-K's for my almost 4 year old that any one could suggest?

Is there a lot to do there? Everyone we know who has been stationed there hated it and says there is nothing to do there. I like to stay open minded to new places and would like some input from people who are enjoying El Paso.

Forgot what else I was going to ask...anyways any other info that you can think of that could be use useful would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!!
No neighborhoods are especially dangerous here. When murders happen, they can happen in any part of town.

It depends on the job but for a large number of jobs, you must speak fluent Spanish, just about any job that deals with people would require Spanish fluency but there are people who don't speak Spanish that do well enough here - it just depends on the job.

It depends on what you like to do - but yes there is plenty to do here. If you like camping, there is New Mexico which is great for camping, if you like hiking, there is a lot of that. Plus there are all the usual things to do - malls, movies, gyms, bars and clubs, restaurants. The weather is almost perfect - not last week but almost always perfect for doing things outdoors.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
she told me that Viscount blvd is the worst and most dangerous area.
WHY does she consider it dangerous??? It certainly is a high traffic accident area with lots of congestion at certain times of day, but other than that it is one of the better areas of the overall city. Viscount is the access street for one of the larger and older malls in El Paso and many satellite businesses (Sam's Club, as one example).

Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM

Thank you both for your comments!

Joqua, I don't know why she says its the most dangerous area, she said they would see that area with crime reports in the news every night. I spend all night yesterday trying to find anything on the net to support this but only found the same reviews you and malamute gave me, which I am happy about because I really like those apartments and what I read about the neighborhood. It might be because she lives on post and that's where she'd like to see us, but I am more of an off post gal.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
I live in the area and would not live anywhere else. This area is pretty much in the center of the city and there is easy access via the freeway to all of El Paso. There are a few other apartments on Viscount you might want to consider also. Celina Apts., Citadel Apts., High Ridge. Good luck and hope you make the right choice!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Thank you TexasCCW.. unfortunatly the Shadowridge appartment we wanted someone took just a couple minutes before I hit submit on the application :-(...all the other, to me, decent looking places don't have anything for the time we need it or the size we need it. We went now with the Acacia apartments on the westside, I hope they were a good choice?!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

196 posts, read 589,705 times
palmer_mia: this doesn't look good...

Acacia Park Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other El Paso apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,281 times
Default Give these guys a call

http://www.castillejaapartments.com/

Knew a couple who stayed here, the apartments are new (around 2 years old) and in good condition. Lots of military and law enforcement stay there as well...definitely worth a shot.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Patricemendo.... I spend almost all weekend to look up apartment by apartment and read all the review on that side, there is barely one apartment on that site that has good reviews lol... Thanks for posting though, I hope that if we get the apartment our experience won't be that bad. El Paso seems to be a pretty busy city, we called 27 apartments today and Acacia was the only available for the size and time we need, never had such a hassle to get an apartment... I am so exited to get to the city tho!!

ITSPECELP... Yes I looked at these and they seem wonderful, sadly they're not really in our budget :-(

Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Quote:
I brought it up to my mother in law who is currently stationed in Bliss and she told me that Viscount blvd is the worst and most dangerous area.
Ridiculously false.

Quote:
Opinions vary on the subject. I do not speak Spanish while at work and I have a full time career and a small business. I constantly deal with the public in every part of town for both my jobs. Not speaking Spanish has been a problem maybe three times for me over the last 16 1/2 years. That's just my experience though.

Quote:
Other than things having to do with the ocean, beach, or lakes, the same things are available in El Paso as most other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso