Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times

Advertisements

i moved to El Paso about a year ago from a similar sized mid-western city. While i have found the people to be very nice here, there are many aspects of the city that are hard to swallow.

Schools: There are some acceptable public schools. They are not of the same caliber that I was used to, but they are struggling to educate all levels of learners, including some with a barely working knowledge of english (in high school). Regular classes at our high school, considered to be one of the best in the city, are almost remedial in nature. A good student needs to enroll in honors or AP classes to be challenged. There are very few private school options. Maybe people from here think there are lots of options but not compared to other cities. The added issue is that there are a lot of wealthy Mexican families at some of the private schools and it can be tough for a child to integrate if they are not Hispanic.

Recreation: Again very few options for a city this size. Yes, there is hiking in the mountains, but after a while that gets old. Very few big name concerts, no professional sports teams, very few art festivals of any real consequence, very little for kids to do. My kids who are teenagers are bored to death here. You cannot even drive easily to a "big" city. Phoenix, which is about the closest, is a 6 hour drive. Dallas is even further. You have to fly to get out of here and it is not very cheap. Restaurants are ok, but there are few good, upscale dining choices here. Cafe Central is about the best option. There are lots of decent Mexican restaurants and lower cost options, but beyond that, slim pickings.

Shopping: 2 malls. Cielo Vista has more stores and there are some fun boutique type places near UTEP. Grocery stores have an overabundance of cheaper cuts of meats, except the ubiquitous ribeye. Finding a beef tenderloin can be a task, for example, but there is plenty of chuck and skirt steak.

Drivers: Ugh. Everybody I know who is not from here shares the same opinion that El Paso has some of the worst drivers in the nation. The combination of Texan and New Mexican drivers who did not have to take behind the wheel drivers' tests (until recently) and the large number of cars crossing from Juarez, make driving in El Paso an excercise in self preservation. These folks have rudimentary road rule knowledge, do not use turn signals, and drive 35 on the highway. I am not kidding. They are oblivious.

Health care: Another ugh. The lack of quality providers of medical and dental care in this town is appaling. Again in comparison to other cities, it is so apparent that there are few good qualified providers here. Many providers not board certified. Long waits for appointments with the good ones. And, in my experience, the "best" here are comparable to the "ok" ones elsewhere. It is a little scary.

In summary, El Paso is not an awful place, especially if you have never lived anywhere else. People are nice here. Crime is low. It is just a very small town rolled into a mid-sized city. In some ways, way behind the times. Some people may like that pace. If you are coming here from another city, it may be tough for you to adjust to feeling like you are living in the 1970s. I am in my 40s and this town is way too "old" and slow for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMom2000 View Post
Recreation: Again very few options for a city this size. Yes, there is hiking in the mountains, but after a while that gets old. Very few big name concerts, no professional sports teams, very few art festivals of any real consequence, very little for kids to do. My kids who are teenagers are bored to death here.
I challenge you to look further and deeper. There are more events, festivals, fairs, exhibits, and gatherings than I can actual take my little one to. These are things aimed at children and teens. I have yet to have to resort to using the mall or movie theater to entertain her. Check the city's web site, the public library, the rec centers, etc. Check UTEP and EPCC. There is rarely a weekend that there isn't a fun activity for us to do.

I'll give you that they are not always widely known. My co-workers and friends are always envious and say they "should have" taken their kids to the same events I take mine to.

Quote:
Finding a beef tenderloin can be a task, for example, but there is plenty of chuck and skirt steak.
Hit some of the smaller meat markets. I cook out on most Sundays. I don't put none of that cheap meat on my grill. I have no problems finding a beef tenderloin.

I never argue with one's opinion. I'll only argue when they try to present their opinion as fact. After spending time in other parts of Texas, Arizona, and Southern California, I'll take El Paso's traffic any day. lol

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,820 times
u think El Paso drivers are bad... try to drive in Albuquerque or New Jersey

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times
Teenagers will be bored anywhere i live in Denver and according to several teenagers there's nothing to do here

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
As a native born..4th generation..El Pasoan..I will add my opinion..ELP is really a nice city..I wouldnt trade my childhood growing up here for anywhere else.but as teenagers in Central..we all knew we would ultimately have to leave..there were hardly.any opportunities then and even less now..with the influx of military and MExican people here..sure it was boring...but we did things like get together, swim, go to the rec center..and just chill with the family..We all left..but it was our choice..I now live in Dallas..alot to do..but we are so busy working..that we hardly have any time to enjoy doing things there..and the Dallas Cowboys ticket are way too expensive..for the average citizen lilke me..when I come back here..I am now with my here in ELP for the week..I am happy just to relax..and not hear alot of noise or crime..like I do in Dallas..I do go to Juarez for healthcare..have been for years..but I dont know if you even want too..most El Pasoans..are afraid to go there..!!..Borracho is right..look for VIva EL Paso in McKelligon..or Alfresco every Friday outside the Plaza Theater downtown..there are options..here..!..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,520 times
Default Yes, I eat out out a lot.

Quote:
Restaurants are ok, but there are few good, upscale dining choices here. Cafe Central is about the best option. There are lots of decent Mexican restaurants and lower cost options, but beyond that, slim pickings.
What do you consider "upscale?"

Giogeske's, Dane's, The Garden, Aromas, Crave, Garufas, Mi Piaci, Susaki are all very good options. That's without mentioning the chain restaurants that are in town.

Quote:
Shopping: 2 malls. Cielo Vista has more stores and there are some fun boutique type places near UTEP. Grocery stores have an overabundance of cheaper cuts of meats, except the ubiquitous ribeye. Finding a beef tenderloin can be a task, for example, but there is plenty of chuck and skirt steak.
+1 on the shopping malls observation. Hopefully The Fountains will bring some higher end stores and maybe even restaurants once it is finally completed.

Quote:
Drivers: Ugh. Everybody I know who is not from here shares the same opinion that El Paso has some of the worst drivers in the nation. The combination of Texan and New Mexican drivers who did not have to take behind the wheel drivers' tests (until recently) and the large number of cars crossing from Juarez, make driving in El Paso an excercise in self preservation. These folks have rudimentary road rule knowledge, do not use turn signals, and drive 35 on the highway. I am not kidding. They are oblivious.
+1 on that, too. Fortunately I've lived here long enough to know when to switch over to the next lane when I'm about to get cut off doing 50+ mph

Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
Not being rude in any way, just asking the question...why are you still living here?

Not every place is for every person and vice versa. I came here as an 17 year old girl in 1968, raised two children here who excelled in school, and yes, while the pace is slower, I like that! LOL

Yes, I've lived elsewhere for periods of time, some places bigger and some smaller. I'll still take El Paso over any of them. Having said all that, I do have an open mind and do appreciate your viewpoint.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:
i moved to El Paso about a year ago from a similar sized mid-western city. While i have found the people to be very nice here, there are many aspects of the city that are hard to swallow.
I grew up in El Paso to transplanted midwesterners and have visited and now live in other cities. But I respectfully disagree with you on some of your points.

Quote:
Schools: There are some acceptable public schools. They are not of the same caliber that I was used to, but they are struggling to educate all levels of learners, including some with a barely working knowledge of english (in high school). Regular classes at our high school, considered to be one of the best in the city, are almost remedial in nature. A good student needs to enroll in honors or AP classes to be challenged. There are very few private school options. Maybe people from here think there are lots of options but not compared to other cities. The added issue is that there are a lot of wealthy Mexican families at some of the private schools and it can be tough for a child to integrate if they are not Hispanic.
It's true that students that want to be challenged need to enroll in honors or AP courses- that is anywhere in the country. Believe me- I work in higher education now. I did not go to one of the "better" high schools in El Paso but I had no problem getting into any school I wanted, attended UT, excelled, and moved onto grad school. Not bad for this low caliber.

I am a "guerita" and I had NO problem finding friends/integrating or whatever you want to call it. Guess what? I learned Spanish as a kid and still use it today. Being open minded helps so much.

Quote:
Recreation: Again very few options for a city this size. Yes, there is hiking in the mountains, but after a while that gets old. Very few big name concerts, no professional sports teams, very few art festivals of any real consequence, very little for kids to do. My kids who are teenagers are bored to death here.
I agree with the others, teens are bored no matter where they live and what they have access to. There is plenty to do. Looking back, I don't think I lacked for much.

Quote:
Restaurants are ok, but there are few good, upscale dining choices here. Cafe Central is about the best option. There are lots of decent Mexican restaurants and lower cost options, but beyond that, slim pickings.
It's no where NEAR as bad as it used to be. This totally makes me laugh. When I go back to visit, my family always has somewhere new to take us and try out. I am actually impressed with the expansion in this area but I guess you have to have experienced the past 30 years or so to appreciate it.

Quote:
Grocery stores have an overabundance of cheaper cuts of meats, except the ubiquitous ribeye. Finding a beef tenderloin can be a task, for example, but there is plenty of chuck and skirt steak.
You might have to ask a butcher to cut off some tenderloin steaks for you... le sigh! That's what my dad does- he did it just this weekend for Father's Day dinner. Guess what? We have to do that in the big city too most of the time.

Quote:
Health care: Another ugh. The lack of quality providers of medical and dental care in this town is appaling. Again in comparison to other cities, it is so apparent that there are few good qualified providers here. Many providers not board certified. Long waits for appointments with the good ones. And, in my experience, the "best" here are comparable to the "ok" ones elsewhere. It is a little scary.
Honey, it's like that even in Houston- land of the gigantic medical center with a plethora of doctors. I have waited months to see my GP. If I am really sick or concerned about something- it's still hard to get in to see him and there's ALWAYS a wait (I waited 2 hours once!) It was the same for me in the last city I lived in. I never had those kinds of waits and definitely not careless doctors in El Paso. Maybe I was lucky- but I've had do much turnover since moving away because of crappy doctors.

Quote:
In summary, El Paso is not an awful place, especially if you have never lived anywhere else. People are nice here. Crime is low. It is just a very small town rolled into a mid-sized city. In some ways, way behind the times. Some people may like that pace. If you are coming here from another city, it may be tough for you to adjust to feeling like you are living in the 1970s. I am in my 40s and this town is way too "old" and slow for me.

You should read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...e-el-paso.html

I also agree that driving can be aggravating, shopping is mediochre (though again, SO much better than it used to be even 10 years ago) but honestly, it's anything but awful. And hey, if you don't like it, leave. There are plenty of people that are proud to call it home, even from FAR AWAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso