U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM

16 posts, read 25,300 times

Advertisements

Oktoberfest just ended. But there is still plenty of food and drink. Its is too busy and expensive anyways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM

27 posts, read 81,967 times
Can any of you folks point me in the direction of some fine german cuisine and culture? A german bar would be totally awesome. I'm nw to El Paso and still learning the area.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 25,300 times
I do believe they are all closed except the one on Base and the food there leaves a lot to be desired. They are using package sauces now. As a German I just cook my own. I can give you some cooking tips if you want to. No wait, there is a restaurant on Hondo Pass, but I have never been.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielaW View Post
I do believe they are all closed except the one on Base and the food there leaves a lot to be desired. They are using package sauces now. As a German I just cook my own. I can give you some cooking tips if you want to. No wait, there is a restaurant on Hondo Pass, but I have never been.
Well, the food at the German Community Club is not too bad. But as Daniela I am cooking my own German food.

I don't like the German restaurant on Hondo Pass. German Community Club is better. Besides they are not even Germans.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,313 times
Yes Mamacita was the best place to go in Juarez. My friends and I used to go there all the time. She treated us Germans always great respect and loved to have fun.

She put on the German uniform and the old jukebox would blast Neue Deutsche Welle such as Nena, Trio, etc.

We would go to Mamas have a few drinks and then leave most of our cash including credit cards with her. We only took a few bucks and our IDs. After partying all night we would return to Mama and she would return our wallets.

Mama was totally honest. I remember her business cards written in poor German. It contained her name and phone number and we could call her day or night in case we would get into trouble. She would actually bail guys out of the Mexican jail. Nobody had to pay her back but everybody always did.

Mama deserves to rest in peace. She had a hard life. She will always be well remembered by myself and all others who visited and knew her personally.

She is now burried with a nice head stone in Juarez financed by former German soldiers. She is burried at the: Jardines Eternos

My time in Juarez with Mama was from 1983 until 1986.
Mama we miss you.

http://www.nikesystem.de/Pages/Mama/mama_index.htm

Here is a video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZxd749zcA

Last edited by Uli66; 12-15-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 AM

3,906 posts, read 6,510,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli66 View Post
Yes Mamacita was the best place to go in Juarez. My friends and I used to go there all the time. She treated us Germans always great respect and loved to have fun.

She put on the German uniform and the old jukebox would blast Neue Deutsche Welle such as Nena, Trio, etc.

We would go to Mamas have a few drinks and then leave most of our cash including credit cards with her. We only took a few bucks and our IDs. After partying all night we would return to Mama and she would return our wallets.

Mama was totally honest. I remember her business cards written in poor German. It contained her name and phone number and we could call her day or night in case we would get into trouble. She would actually bail guys out of the Mexican jail. Nobody had to pay her back but everybody always did.

Mama deserves to rest in peace. She had a hard life. She will always be well remembered by myself and all others who visited and knew her personally.

She is now burried with a nice head stone in Juarez financed by former German soldiers. She is burried at the: Jardines Eternos

My time in Juarez with Mama was from 1983 until 1986.
Mama we miss you.

http://www.nikesystem.de/Pages/Mama/mama_index.htm

Here is a video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZxd749zcA
Mexicans, like most Latin Americans are rabid Germanophiles!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,883,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Mexicans, like most Latin Americans are rabid Germanophiles!
That's right. Like in the movie The Wild Bunch Germans were all over the place.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
That's right. Like in the movie The Wild Bunch Germans were all over the place.
I"m gonna have to check out that movie!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudelpaso View Post
I really love the German culture, the food, and the people.
Ahhh, nice to know we share a common passion!:-)

Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,695 times
my grandfather was Hatzenbuehler, George Hatzenbuehler. my grandmother was Jane Hatzenbuehler, my mom was the yungest out of 5 children. i'm the yungest out of 3. you will see more in the archives have lots of friends in side and out befor you do. Love you all always from me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso