U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,628 times

Advertisements

I want to start a new thread about the German Air Force around El Paso, TX. What do you know of them? What is your thought about them leaving?

There is some serious talks about the German Air Force (GAF) leaving Fort Bliss. There is no decision made yet but it could happen because of the restructuring of German military world wide.
The first German soldiers where stationed here in 1956. More then 45 000 German soldiers called Fort Bliss their home at least for some time. Many stayed and started a family here.

Let me know what you think....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 PM

90 posts, read 244,444 times
I remember years ago going to an all German bar in Juarez. We happened to stumble upon it unintentionally and never found it again.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 3,295,532 times
Well, whenever I'm in Alamagordo, I get to practice my German. There must be several thousand Germans in the area... Where would the GAF go if they left Ft. Bliss?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy71 View Post
I remember years ago going to an all German bar in Juarez. We happened to stumble upon it unintentionally and never found it again.
It was probably "Mamacita". An older lady who was married years ago with a German. She died several years ago and the place is closed down. I have many interesting memories about this place.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,883,460 times
I bet a lot of those guys would go AWOL and stay in El Paso. They'd change their names and never be heard from again.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Well, whenever I'm in Alamagordo, I get to practice my German. There must be several thousand Germans in the area... Where would the GAF go if they left Ft. Bliss?
There are about 270 soldiers plus their dependents in Fort Bliss and appr. 600+ in Holloman. The GAF in Fort Bliss is Air Defense using Patriot. Where they would go? Maybe back to Germany maybe parts to Fort Sill!? Nobody knows yet.

The GAF in Holloman train on the Tornado fighter plain. It looks like they will stay. It could also happen that the Eurofighter will be stationed in Holloman. Again all this is guess work...

Old 08-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I bet a lot of those guys would go AWOL and stay in El Paso. They'd change their names and never be heard from again.
That is a very good idea. I will spread the word and start an underground movement. Anybody who wants to take in a former German soldier?!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM

2,618 posts, read 5,545,599 times
I have varying opinions about the Fort Bliss expansion and the impact it has had on El Paso. That being said, I would absolutely hate it if we lost the German Air Force.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM

90 posts, read 244,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda1 View Post
It was probably "Mamacita". An older lady who was married years ago with a German. She died several years ago and the place is closed down. I have many interesting memories about this place.
All I remember was how clean the place was. Spotless. Was it that way?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy71 View Post
All I remember was how clean the place was. Spotless. Was it that way?
No not at all. It was very ghetto but they had a jukebox with old German music playing. The restrooms where even worse. It was a save place for Germans and the Mexican girls found out soon that there where some white boys hanging out as well......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso