Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some of the things that have been posted.

I have been living in El Paso the majority of my life and to see what happened to Magic Landing just gets me so mad. Also seeing how great San Antonio has become just get me wondering what El Paso could have been.

Now the corruption with the outlet mall and Double Tree just makes think if this city ever wants to get out of the rut we are in.

I actually wrote my city rep today and see if there is anything I can do

I believe we should form a group on how to promote El Paso. I have an amazing person that write grants and plans to bring business to town. If anyone is interested please write me at [EMAIL="raguilar@hawk-logistics.com"]raguilar@hawk-logistics.com[/EMAIL]

Ninsker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
1.5 million is not small that would make it twice the size of ABQ and EP (without adding Juarez). Once a city reaches the million mark they pop up on the national radar for upscale retailers and parks such as Six Flags.
Well if you do include Juares and El Paso County that would make the MSA 2,380,785.

You cant leave Juarez out of the MSA to consider a Six Flags. Many Mexicans come from across the border as far as Chihuahua to spend their money in El Paso. Im pretty sure they are willing to have fun at an amusement park for $50. I'm just saying. the bulk of the city's economy comes from two things- Soldiers, and Mexico. Juarez has 2 million people. over 100,000 troops and their families are coming. The world's largest desalinization plant is being built here. I think El Paso can support a Six Flags, definitely!

And if we can get rid of the corruption on our city government and replace City Representatives who vote no on every proposition the city gets like Melinda Castro we can see it happen!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM

93 posts, read 309,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninsker View Post
I have been reading some of the things that have been posted.

I have been living in El Paso the majority of my life and to see what happened to Magic Landing just gets me so mad. Also seeing how great San Antonio has become just get me wondering what El Paso could have been.

Now the corruption with the outlet mall and Double Tree just makes think if this city ever wants to get out of the rut we are in.

I actually wrote my city rep today and see if there is anything I can do

I believe we should form a group on how to promote El Paso. I have an amazing person that write grants and plans to bring business to town. If anyone is interested please write me at raguilar@hawk-logistics.com

Ninsker
Corruption with the outlet mall and Double Tree Hotel? I don't know about this. What's going on with this?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Corruption with the outlet mall and Double Tree Hotel? I don't know about this. What's going on with this?

me neither, whats going on?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM

59 posts, read 2,225,318 times
Could be that Ninsker is refering to Steve Sambrano of SamCorp., who built the outlet shoppes?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
im talking mainly about the tax exemptions that both these places got. Six Flags wanted the smae thing but were turned down. An outlet mall is alright to boost the economy a little, but a big name theme park??? That would boost our economy ten fold!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 AM

93 posts, read 309,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
im talking mainly about the tax exemptions that both these places got. Six Flags wanted the smae thing but were turned down. An outlet mall is alright to boost the economy a little, but a big name theme park??? That would boost our economy ten fold!
Wow, I didn't know about this. When a large corporation or organization gets tax breaks, the citizens end up paying for this. I live in Evanston, IL, which is where Northwestern University is located. The university is exempt from paying property taxes, so the residents make up for this and our property tax is one of the highest in the country! (so are el Paso's property taxes). This is a university with a tuition of $4,112 PER COURSE! they should have plenty to pay property taxes!!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM

272 posts, read 1,062,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
Wow, I didn't know about this. When a large corporation or organization gets tax breaks, the citizens end up paying for this. I live in Evanston, IL, which is where Northwestern University is located. The university is exempt from paying property taxes, so the residents make up for this and our property tax is one of the highest in the country! (so are el Paso's property taxes). This is a university with a tuition of $4,112 PER COURSE! they should have plenty to pay property taxes!!
That's not true at all. The tax incentives can be recouped easily by the quality jobs that company would bring to the city. Those employees would pay taxes and contribute to the coffers and the local economy by having disposable income. Have you taken any Economics courses at all?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Given the number of people that were packed into Wet n' Wild yesterday, I think a Six Flags or something similar would be a great draw in El Paso.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
You also must remember that when Six Flags came knocking El Paso had a whole different city administration, theres really nothing wrong with giving tax incentives to people who want to want to make believers out of people and actually do something that will benefit the community as a whole, those that refused six flags were no different than those before them, things are different now.

You bet El Paso could support a Theme Park, it would also be a big draw for people from Northern Mexico as far as outside spending is concern, but most importantly El Paso needs attractions and more things for the people to do people of all ages that is, you know a Theme park a water park an aquarium, or a real museum with real stuff like prehistoric animals and artifacs as such found in big city museums.

Something for the old folks to, a giant indoor botanical garden, relaxing stuff and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso