Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM

195 posts, read 657,898 times

Advertisements

There's a bunch of stuff El Paso could do like how about we start hosting a Far West Texas State Fair and make it huge? Another idea is to make a nice state of the art amusement park with a military theme to it lol! C'mon now those are great ideas and you know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,187 times
I used to work for the County and it seems that the reason why El Paso really lacks opportunities is that the County and City employees take a majority of our taxes for their retirement plans. For every $1 they put in, it is matched with $2.50!!! That is completely unheard of in Texas!! No other companies do this! Leave it up to our Leaders to take care of themselves and not everyone in El Paso.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,187 times
El Paso also had the opportunity for the Riverwalk---and of course we turned it down and San Antonio took advantage of the idea. So what does El Paso really have to offer tourists? They can't even go to Juarez anymore!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,584 times
I just had family from El Paso visit me and after a wine tasting excursion to Napa Valley, we headed down I-80 and my great nephews decided they wanted to stop over at Six Flags Discovery Vallejo California and those little boys had a blast, El Paso, you better get yourself a Six Flags, your kids deserve it.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM

38 posts, read 155,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venae213 View Post
El Paso also had the opportunity for the Riverwalk---and of course we turned it down and San Antonio took advantage of the idea. So what does El Paso really have to offer tourists? They can't even go to Juarez anymore!
San Antonio was adapting the river as early as the 1700's. The idea for development started in the early 1900's and was fully realized in 1938. Elephant Butte on the other hand was built in 1915-1916 after the initial location downstream only 3 miles from El Paso was scrapped, because of the poor bedrock and the flooding of the farmland. The people of San Antonio voted to raise their taxes to fund the construction of the Riverwalk..imagine Eddie Holguin agreeing to that (or to anything useful). Ha!! El Paso and Juarez didn't even attempt to control the Rio Grande until the Chamizal incident...way after San Antonio had built, reneovated, and utilized their riverwalk.

And to those who complain about company tax breaks...that's how you get businesses to move to an area that otherwise would not draw them. If we had other things in the area to attract people then it wouldn't make sense, because the newer establishments would benefit from attractions already in place to draw a customer base. However, anyone who is going to take the first plunge in the area needs to have some sort of incentive. No one is going to build a major attraction, par, etc. just to serve El Paso/Juarez. You have to prove yourself as a destination city first, which El Paso is not. San Antonio already had the elements in place to become a tourist zone and then they had the wisdom to elect Henry Cisneros who helped that city grow (smartly) by leaps and bounds. Seriously does anyone in El Paso politice remotely seem close to the caliber of Cisneros (minus the adultery)?? San Antonio went out all over Texas, the country and the world to promote their city, offer incentives and so on...

Our star on the mountain is not going to inspire investment...time to get creative. oh and clear out the crap in downtown!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,921 times
good post edjumactor, and everything you wrote is true.
We just got back from SA. had a blast on the riverwalk and seaworld spent well over a 1,000 and had to drive over 8 hrs. to do it.
we will do it again next year before we move.
the kids want to see the zoo in SA.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,228 times
San Antonio is the shizzzz, its growing by leaps and bounds, they have so many entertainment options, nba basketball,riverwalk,six flags,alamo,culture,good food,When is el paso going to get their own henry cisneros?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
It's not fair to compare SA to EP. SA's entertainment facilities can draw on a more populated day-trip or weekend trip hinterland including Austin, Corpus Christi & Houston, and has more populated countryside. El Paso is an isolated city in the middle of a barren desert and a 4+ hour drive from anywhere.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's not fair to compare SA to EP. SA's entertainment facilities can draw on a more populated day-trip or weekend trip hinterland including Austin, Corpus Christi & Houston, and has more populated countryside. El Paso is an isolated city in the middle of a barren desert and a 4+ hour drive from anywhere.
This has always been my position regarding El Paso. It is a crutch, at times I think unfair, but most of the times, reality. El Paso is just too far for people. Also, as nice as the airport is after it was remodeled, they really did not expand on it too much, in my opinion.

Other realities are the lack of water; almost any big park you go to, you will see lots of vegetation, and bodies of water. I've always maintained that the city should build some sort of body of water with the Rio Grande as the initial source, when the flood waters melt, but then you get into all sorts of legal issues with ranchers, Mexico, etc.

Sometimes El Paso cannot win, and this is what bothers me of the place. For what it's worth, I think most people know that just east of the city, there is a huge aquifer that can be tapped into, deep, but that is not the problem, my company drills wells miles deep. The issue is the water is saline. So, El Paso could try what they did in California, build a salt lake, but then they would have to invent some sort of system that would aerate the water. This was the problem in California, they flooded a valley, but there was no source of fresh water, nothing to move it, so it ended up being a huge bowl of stagnant water. Salton Lake was it?

Oh well... off my rant now.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This was the problem in California, they flooded a valley, but there was no source of fresh water, nothing to move it, so it ended up being a huge bowl of stagnant water. Salton Lake was it?

Oh well... off my rant now.
Your are correct, I think it's called the "Salton Sea". I saw something about the area on a show called "No reservations" on the travel channel. Supposedly it was going to be the next great tourist destination in inland Califorinia but as you mentioned the lake went "bad" and it was just to salty for anything to live or grow there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso