Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,675 times

Advertisements

There is only so much sacrifice one can make. Maybe we should all put our money in one BIG pot and distribute it equally. That way I don't have to get up at 5 in the morning and excel in my occupation. I'm voting NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,120 times
Default YES to Children's Hospital

I came to El Paso 11 years ago with the promise of a Children's Hospital. We DO NOT have it yet. As soon as the Hospital District initiated plans to build it, the pediatric ward at Providence which was called Providence Children's Pavilion suddenly became Providence Children's Hospital without any obvious physical change, addition of services or formation of an independent pediatric board.
We need to come together as a city to take advantage of this moment in history, particularly marked by our new 4-year medical school. The El Paso International Children's Hospital necessarily has to be located right next to it.
The campaign of misinformation being put out by Providence is distasteful and speaks more to a greedy corporate structure than to a vision of where pediatric care should be for the next generations.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 PM

60 posts, read 205,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro-Stevens, M View Post
I came to El Paso 11 years ago with the promise of a Children's Hospital. We DO NOT have it yet. As soon as the Hospital District initiated plans to build it, the pediatric ward at Providence which was called Providence Children's Pavilion suddenly became Providence Children's Hospital without any obvious physical change, addition of services or formation of an independent pediatric board.
We need to come together as a city to take advantage of this moment in history, particularly marked by our new 4-year medical school. The El Paso International Children's Hospital necessarily has to be located right next to it.
The campaign of misinformation being put out by Providence is distasteful and speaks more to a greedy corporate structure than to a vision of where pediatric care should be for the next generations.
Thomason's so called Children's Hospital is also going to be a section of the new building that was supposed to have broke ground by now. IT WILL NOT BE A STAND ALONE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL. If you look at their propaganda, it shows a few floors dedicated to pediatrics and that is going to be accredited as a Children's Hospital, same as Providence. The bond in 2005 for 120 million has not been spent. So Thomason is pulling the same thing Providence is. They have not presented a clear strategy as to what specific services they will provide and they have money in the bank that hasn't been used to improve services to date. This is a perfect example of poor stewards of the taxpayers money. MY VOTE IS NO and until our government officials prove to us different, yours should be too.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,393 times
IT"S NOT PROPAGANDA!!! none the less it will still be it's own Childrens Hospital seperately licensed and this so called building that was supposenly to have broken ground is still on schedule, this project coupled along with the pending approval/disapproval of the upcoming November 6 bond issue.
What happens is that the uper five floors of this new building will house the Childrens Hospital, and the lower floors I believe will be the Womans Hospital and thats also seperate from the Childrens Hospital,so it's "NOT PROPAGANDA".

Negative thinkers have always held El Paso back for way too long, determined and stubborn their at it again, VOTE YES PEOPLE, VOTE YES on Novermber 6 and move El Paso foward and put that long broken promise by Providence behind you with a positive answer with a bond issue approval.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM

60 posts, read 205,584 times
You must not be a homeowner or haven't seen your property tax bill lately. Maybe your so wealthy that it doesn't matter if you have to shell out more cash to pay for services you don't use. Don't complain in a few years when your bill is much higher and you wish you would have stopped the bleeding when you had a chance.

I am only trying to defend the worker class in El Paso. We have low wages and can't afford to pay more and more.

We get payroll deducted for Social Security, Medicaid , Medicare, health insurance if our company offers it, property taxes for school district, Thomason, El Paso County, City, co-pays on and on. Who wants more taken out of you pay checks is what the banner should read.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 AM

If you can afford one six pack of beer a week in which most El Pasoans have no problem scrambling to get the cash for this badly needed necessity as compare to $2.38 a month for a home worth 100,000,thats less than 30 dollars a year, then VOTING YES IS THE RIGHT SOBER THING TO DO.

I saw an artical in the News Paper Tree about this group going around spreading false rumours, the groups called Texans for Fiscal Responsibility movement, and then theres also Sierra Providence Medical Network talking about EL Paso has a new mountain rising thats bigger than ever, (I guess they mean taxes)

I strongly support this Childrens Hospital project, your investing on your childrens health matters, if and when they may occur, as for taxes yes they are going to keep going up, but thats everywhere in the country not just El Paso.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
I am for the Children's Hospital as well.. but what is going to happen to all these people who cant pay their taxes because the income level is so low? El Paso needs to raise the bar on wages as well as attract new employers to our area, and not just new fast food joints.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM

Your very right about this, El Paso needs to attarct the right industry with good paying salarys, and voting for and approving a new Childrens Hospital is one of many solutions, for one, it's going to attract more jobs in the medical field or proffession, all the ingrediants are their just waiting to make things happen considering the Medical School next door, that whole place can developed into another Texas (like) Medical Center like the one in Houston.
I was surprised to read that city rep Eddie Holguin is also for the Childrens Hospital, and the the opposition mis quoted him by saying that he was against it, he is against higher taxes, but with all the bond issues that have passed in the last ten years, mostly for new schools and quality of life improvments only signals that El Paso is waking up from this long dreaded siesta of doing nothing and falling further behind it's other Southwestern competitors.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,173 times
i vote yes when i lived in denver i took my son to childrens hospital and it was very positive experience

Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
If you can afford one six pack of beer a week in which most El Pasoans have no problem scrambling to get the cash for this badly needed necessity as compare to $2.38 a month for a home worth 100,000,thats less than 30 dollars a year, then VOTING YES IS THE RIGHT SOBER THING TO DO.

I saw an artical in the News Paper Tree about this group going around spreading false rumours, the groups called Texans for Fiscal Responsibility movement, and then theres also Sierra Providence Medical Network talking about EL Paso has a new mountain rising thats bigger than ever, (I guess they mean taxes)

I strongly support this Childrens Hospital project, your investing on your childrens health matters, if and when they may occur, as for taxes yes they are going to keep going up, but thats everywhere in the country not just El Paso.
your right about the beer thing but i think its more like an eighteen pack ,most el pasoans dont have a problem spending on beer and i am one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso