Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

Hey SouthernBliss, if its not my old time friend from Mississippi. PM and I will do my best to answer any questions you have about El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
We are relocating to fort bliss at the end of the year.we have 4 school age kids ages16yr to 5yr all speak only english am worried about schools in the area. Also worried about a job, I am a 911 dispatcher and police dispatch but also speak only english and am just now getting that right!!! Alao could any on tell me pro and cons to living in base houseing vers buying. what is the waiting list to base housing. also good schools for my kids.I am looking forward to making el paso my home for the next 3 years!! any post will be helpfull.
I have lived in El Paso for over 17 years. Came here in 1991 for a Government job, now retired. Also retired military, with 24 years service. Was also stationed in Northern Alabama during my service years. To start with, I will tell you that El Paso on the Mexican border is not Mississippi. The city is approximately 81% Hispanic. Many living here illegally. So you can just imagine the problems in schools. Some high schools here have been dubbed "drop-out factories". If your kids only speak English, will have a very hard time with teaching and schools. We pay outrageous amounts in taxes for schools and everything else. Our homes, property are constantly being evaluated, re-evaluated so that taxes can be constantly increased without any say whatever by the voters. If you have a choice, live on the base. El Paso is a "Sanctuary City". The Mayor and City Council voted a Resolution, objecting to the National Guard being assigned here, on the Border. The police are not allowed to turn illegals over to the Border Patrol. The ONLY reason they like the military here, is because of the billions of dollars in payrolls and spending. Other than that, Soldiers are best "out of sight, out of mind". As far as Ft Bliss info. If you just maybe key in "Ft Bliss, Texas", think will give you a lot of official contacts, including the housing office. If you don't have any choice about coming here, hope that I have not made it so negative for you. What I have told you are the truths of living here. Two good things about El Paso, Mexican food and the weather. Really can't think of anything else.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 PM

As a Former DA Police officer on Fort Bliss, I can tell you that the El Paso PD and the Border Patrol work in groups.. 1 PD with 1 BP walking downtown.. so they don't need to worry about the turn over aspect mentioned here.

But what GUNSLINGER had to say is true for the most part.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,921 times
I have lived in El Paso for over 17 years. Came here in 1991 for a Government job, now retired. Also retired military, with 24 years service. Was also stationed in Northern Alabama during my service years. To start with, I will tell you that El Paso on the Mexican border is not Mississippi. The city is approximately 81% Hispanic. Many living here illegally. So you can just imagine the problems in schools. Some high schools here have been dubbed "drop-out factories". If your kids only speak English, will have a very hard time with teaching and schools. We pay outrageous amounts in taxes for schools and everything else. Our homes, property are constantly being evaluated, re-evaluated so that taxes can be constantly increased without any say whatever by the voters. If you have a choice, live on the base. El Paso is a "Sanctuary City". The Mayor and City Council voted a Resolution, objecting to the National Guard being assigned here, on the Border. The police are not allowed to turn illegals over to the Border Patrol. The ONLY reason they like the military here, is because of the billions of dollars in payrolls and spending. Other than that, Soldiers are best "out of sight, out of mind". As far as Ft Bliss info. If you just maybe key in "Ft Bliss, Texas", think will give you a lot of official contacts, including the housing office. If you don't have any choice about coming here, hope that I have not made it so negative for you. What I have told you are the truths of living here. Two good things about El Paso, Mexican food and the weather. Really can't think of anything else.

I have figured out that it is not ms. but I have lived in CO. , TX, WI, so I am not worried about me , I have seen alot in this world and you cant shock are scare me, have seen and heard things that would shock most people(could be what I do for a living) I am worried about my children they have aways went to the best schools and this is going to be a wake up call for them so I trying to prepare them the best I can. two of my children have only lived in ms. so they will be shocked where they come from the world is great ,if you know what I mean. I have told them that el paso is not ms. so I am going to watch them.

We will be living on base. so that is great 1 less thing to worry about!!

My biggest worry is my kids do only speak english so this is a worry.
I have no problem with them learning spanish this will be good for them
but I would hope that the class are taught in english if not..........well that will make me a little upset. so far I have been told that the class on base are taught in english so maybe I will not have to get rude!!

just trying to sell my home in ms. then we are on our way........
By the way I love mexican food and I love warm weather(hated living in wi. to cold!!!)
Thank you all
all advice is helpfull and used!!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Hey Southern.. when you get to town let me know.. i'll introduce you to the wife. And show you around the post..

Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM

hey everyone did not want to start a new thread so using this one.
was wanting to know what kind of cell phones that works best in el paso.
we have cingular now, does it pick up good there? need a good cell that will pick up when my husband is out on the range will cingular do this?
so what cells do people use most in el paso?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Were a major city, all your cell phone companies work here.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 PM

28 posts, read 131,852 times
The Bars On The Windows Sometimes Are For Security, But Mostly For Fashion, Because They Are Sort Of Spanish Style Homes

Hope This Helps You Carmen

Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 AM

thanks,here in the south bars on the windows means stay out of that neighborhood!lol

Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM

They sorta mean the same thing here bliss.. dont let the one poster fool you. if there are bars, its because there was or is still a threat in the area, and people need the extra security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso