U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 AM

32 posts, read 66,851 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to El Paso for a job. I'd appreciate help choosing the right area. I'll be renting, not owning. I'll be visiting on the 24th of this month.

This is what I'm looking for (most to least important):

1. Centrality

My job will involve driving all over El Paso. So I'd prefer to be centrally located rather than at an edge. 5 points seems to be the dead center of El Paso. My home will serve as a jump off point for going to all parts of the city. So I need easy access to main arteries.

2. Older

I dislike modern architecture and construction. So I'd prefer an area with older buildings. Kern seems to be one of the older places. However Kern seems to be mostly homes not apartments. Kern also isn't as centrally located.

3. Walkability

I prefer walkable areas. But older areas will likely be more walkable so maybe this is redundant.

4. Immigrants

I'd like to live in an area that has more Mexican immigrants. I'm trying to learn Spanish so I'd enjoy the opportunity of living in a less Americanized community.

I realize this criteria may not intersect. If I can find an area that has some of these features however, I'll be satisfied. As I said before, I'll be visiting on the 24th. My goal of visiting is seeing if it's worthwhile moving here. If there's anything I should see during my visit, please let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 AM

47,527 posts, read 66,097,209 times
1. Central or the south side or downtown area - south of I-10 sounds about the best for older homes and apartments, yes Kern isn't apartments but houses.

2. Central or the south side or near downtown for older apartments and homes.

3. Same areas are the most walkable.

4. Not a problem finding anywhere in town.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 8,357,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordvictory View Post
5 points seems to be the dead center of El Paso.
The 5 Points area meets all of your requirements. The only newer construction is going to be non-residential. Residential can be anything from fixer-uppers to more upscale recently renovated. Nicest areas are to the north around Memorial Park. Worst area (from a residential viewpoint) is directly south and west of 5 Points where residences are scarcer and less well maintained.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM

643 posts, read 1,221,497 times
Joqua and Malamute all good points. I am going to direct you to this website.
elpasonext - DOWNTOWN EL PASO

You can pretty much answer all the questions you've asked. There are historic districts near the downtown area and apartments, condos and homes for rent. Good luck and make sure you post about your experiences here so we can give some direction or help, if possible.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,151,686 times
Downtown hands down.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

185 posts, read 387,940 times
get back to me on the 24th one of my tenants might move out

Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 PM

I'm still a little confused about areas.

Is "cental" and "downtown" the same place? A few ads I clicked on showed central as where the freeway 180 and 54 intersect. But some ads had "central" and "downtown" in the same ad.

If "downtown" and "central" are two places, is "downtown" the area south of freeway 10?

I may have freeway names wrong. I'm looking at google maps.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 8,357,284 times
Quote:
I'm still a little confused about areas.
I'm attaching MY interpretation of the very loosely used terms that you are referring to. These areas are NOT strictly defined and whether or not Sunset Heights is considered "Central" might be arguable. South El Paso is also considered to include the south side of the downtown area by older locals.

Last edited by joqua; 05-08-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM

joqua, thanks so much!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 20,832 times
Default You sure you want to move here?

Quote:
I may be relocating to El Paso for a job. I'd appreciate help choosing the right area. I'll be renting, not owning. I'll be visiting on the 24th of this month.

This is what I'm looking for (most to least important):

1. Centrality

My job will involve driving all over El Paso. So I'd prefer to be centrally located rather than at an edge. 5 points seems to be the dead center of El Paso. My home will serve as a jump off point for going to all parts of the city. So I need easy access to main arteries.

2. Older

I dislike modern architecture and construction. So I'd prefer an area with older buildings. Kern seems to be one of the older places. However Kern seems to be mostly homes not apartments. Kern also isn't as centrally located.

3. Walkability

I prefer walkable areas. But older areas will likely be more walkable so maybe this is redundant.

4. Immigrants

I'd like to live in an area that has more Mexican immigrants. I'm trying to learn Spanish so I'd enjoy the opportunity of living in a less Americanized community.

I realize this criteria may not intersect. If I can find an area that has some of these features however, I'll be satisfied. As I said before, I'll be visiting on the 24th. My goal of visiting is seeing if it's worthwhile moving here. If there's anything I should see during my visit, please let me know.
Rents are reasonable and practicing your Spanish will not be a problem anywhere. I am concerned about some of the recommendations for living areas. First of all, downtown. Downtown is a cesspit. Literally. The El Paso downtown area is populated with dollar stores. That's it. Sure there are a couple of restaurants but and some small cultural attraction but I cannot imagine anyone who disn't have to living there. I am not kidding here and this is not hyperbole. Downtown El Paso is not a livable area unless you previously lived in downtown Kabul. There are shells of buildings. If you want to buy 100 useless batteries for a dollar - downtown is for you. If downtown had an authentic Mexican flavor or even a tourist area it would be fine. If you must move to El Paso, stay away from downtown.

If you want walkability and a reasonably decent place to live I suggest Kern Plae area near the university. If you have the option I suggest you do not move here. Try Albuquerque for a much better city. For example Albuquerque has two Whole Foods, two Trader Joe's five Sunflower Market's and a host of farmer's markets and local stores. El Paso has Albertson's and toms of cheap discount crap stores. Move anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>