Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 281,621 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife would really like a red maple tree for our back yard (live in Horizon City) and according to the zone maps one should be able to grow a red maple tree in EP but I have never seen one or heard of anyone growing one.
The closest I can find is the bigtooth maple.
Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM

643 posts, read 1,305,848 times
Texas Tree Selector

Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSIDLO View Post
Hello all,
My wife would really like a red maple tree for our back yard (live in Horizon City) and according to the zone maps one should be able to grow a red maple tree in EP but I have never seen one or heard of anyone growing one.
The closest I can find is the bigtooth maple.
Any advise?
Soil here is too alkaline and it's too dry. I'd go with a tree that is suited to the climate and soil. It's better to just go along with nature than fight it.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,183,395 times
Default Depends....

If you are talking about a Red Maple tree, or a Japanese/Chinese Red Maple tree. Either way, problems with El Paso's climate would require special considerations.

A standard Red Maple tree uses a lot of water, so you would have to water every day, and when they mature, they take in scores, maybe hundreds of gallons per day as do large Oak trees. Of course, that is through an extensive root system, so they need to have large areas to draw water from. In places like Houston, that is not a problem, and they grow pretty nice, and are huge, in fact, sometimes they grow too much and the bark cannot keep up and cracks because the tree grows too fast.

The other variety, the Chinese/Japanese Red Maple trees are smaller, miniature almost. They can be grown in containers and require regular watering, but the problem those would have in El Paso is the hot and arid conditions. The leaves are very small and delicate, about the size and shape of a marijuana leaf (not that I have ever seen one :^) and so the dry climate in El Paso combined with the constant sun would damage it. However, if in a pot, the pot can be moved to shade when needed. No pun intended, really.

I have some Chinese/Japanese Red Maple trees in Houston, and even here the leaves are damaged just by the heat, not the dry conditions. They are a spectacular blood red color in the spring, but the heat and strong sun light sometimes cause the leaves to turn green in color and then it looks like a marijuana tree through the summer... so I've been told.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 AM

124 posts, read 281,621 times
Well it sounds like I should just convince her that the bigtooth maple is the way to go. at least its native to EP. I have seen pics that show them to be red.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times
I did have one here in EP and it was growing well in my back yard, but I moved and tried to move it too-- it didn't make it. By the way I bought it at Home Depot.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
Not a maple, but I had good luck when living in eastern El Paso with Red Bud trees. Very ornamental. I don't know the variety that was being sold at that time but a local nursery might know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso