U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM

43 posts, read 156,288 times

Advertisements

I checked at Cielo Vista Mall customer service and the WalMart right next to it. Neither accept Mexican Pesos. Their only suggestion was a money changing business near the mall that starts with the letter M, I dont remember the exact name.

I also checked at the exchange rate site which says each Peso is worth about 7 to 8 cents.

XE: (MXN/USD) Mexican Peso to US Dollar Rate

Convert Mexican Pesos (MXN) and United States Dollars (USD): Currency Exchange Rate Conversion Calculator

The Mexican Peso was revalued on January 1, 1993. Pesos dated before that date (Old Mexican Pesos - MXP) are 1000 times less valuable than the New Mexican Pesos - MXN.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 5,706,334 times
Wow. Shocker. Actual facts contradict malamute's posts.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,586,280 times
Several years ago, Pizza Patron started letting customers who'd just come back from Mexico and had pesos to unload pay for their orders in pesos at the going exchange rate between the peso and the dollar. They'd not only sell more pizza, but spare their customers another trip to the money-changer--the Pizza Patron people would do it for them. This was way controversial when it started and the company got a ton of nasty feedback for "catering to illegal aliens" (the usual racist assumption: Mexican + in the US = undocumented), plus some businesses here in the US accept other foreign currencies (e.g., Canadian dollars along the Canadian border, Bahamian dollars in Miami, euros in places like New York where a lot of Europeans go, yen in Hawaii).

It started out as a promotion but I heard that Pizza Patron ended up making it permanent. I think Pizza Patron has El Paso locations but I don't know if they'll still let you pay for your food in pesos now.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,598,650 times
Circle K's take pesos.

Convenience Store Begins Taking Pesos | www.kfoxtv.com

Prado was talking about the convenience store's move to start accepting pesos.

"Most of the places here, they don't accept pesos, and most of the Hispanic people you know, always bring pesos, and they pay with pesos," said Prado.

Customers seemed very happy about being able to use pesos.

"Since we live so close to Mexico, everybody carries around pesos, I know I always do," said Sergio Fernandez, from west El Paso.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM

2,619 posts, read 5,706,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Circle K's take pesos.

Convenience Store Begins Taking Pesos | www.kfoxtv.com

Prado was talking about the convenience store's move to start accepting pesos.

"Most of the places here, they don't accept pesos, and most of the Hispanic people you know, always bring pesos, and they pay with pesos," said Prado.

Customers seemed very happy about being able to use pesos.

"Since we live so close to Mexico, everybody carries around pesos, I know I always do," said Sergio Fernandez, from west El Paso.
That link is from 2007. Around the same time period most of us mentioned that Walmart, Sams, and Pizza Patron accepted pesos. Not at all current or relevant in 2012.

BTW, in my small business, I have never carried around pesos, nor has anyone ever tried to pay with pesos. I think that was simply a statement KFOX knew would stir up discussion. Lame. I work and do business in every part of town and I don't know anyone who carries pesos.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 156,288 times
Pizza Patron, I just called them. They said they DO accept Mexican Pesos but bills only, no coins.

Circle K, said they do NOT accept Mexican Pesos.

Too much inaccurate or misleading info being posted here. For example, the guy quoted in the article saying "everybody" carries Pesos is silly. Perhaps those frequently visiting Mexico do carry Pesos, but otherwise no one has reason to carry Mexican Pesos when almost no one in El Paso accepts them. It's illogical to suggest "everybody" carries Pesos for this reason.

Last edited by runners; 03-01-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,586,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runners View Post
Pizza Patron, I just called them. They said they DO accept Mexican Pesos but bills only, no coins.

Circle K, said they do NOT accept Mexican Pesos.

Too much inaccurate or misleading info being posted here. For example, the guy quoted in the article saying "everybody" carries Pesos is silly. Perhaps those frequently visiting Mexico do carry Pesos, but otherwise no one has reason to carry Mexican Pesos when almost no one in El Paso accepts them. It's illogical to suggest "everybody" carries Pesos for this reason.

Some people go to Mexico and come back with pesos still in their pocket. With all the movement back and forth across the border, it would be reasonable to expect a lot of people to be carrying pesos, but not literally "everybody." Apparently this guy used "everybody" to mean "lots of people."

If an American business lets you get rid of the foreign currency you've got on you by paying for what you buy from them in pesos or whatever the foreign currency is, they're doing you a favor, basically. They'd be well within their rights to say American money or nothing. That's why we have money changers.

Last edited by atrabilius; 03-02-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 PM

47,528 posts, read 65,598,650 times
I have pesos and haven't been to Juarez for quite some time.

When I did go to Juarez, I found it was quite a bit cheaper if I wanted a coke or something to eat to pay in pesos. They would accept dollars over there but there was a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso