Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times

Advertisements

A possible $600 million to $800 million bond issue will likely go up for a vote in November. The City Council was presented the list of possible projects tonight and here are some of the more important ones.

*$150 million - New multipurpose arena (likely in Downtown)
*$10 million to $20 million - Downtown improvements
*$30 million - New museums and museum upgrades
*$45 million - AAA baseball stadium
*$50 million - Sun Bowl upgrades (to retain the annual Sun Bowl game and host major league soccer tournaments.)
*$100 million - New soccer stadium - if needed to secure an MLS team.
*$200 million - "to completely rebuild aging and deteriorating streets."
*Money amount not mentioned - Zoo expansion
*Money amount not mentioned - New parks

My opinion: Here is our chance El Paso, we need this bond to be approved and move El Paso forward. We constantly hear about how there is nothing to do here and how we don't have this or that..that other cities have, well its time for us to change that and move us and our kids into the modern times and beyond. I know some people want to keep El Paso small and boring but that is not going to happen, this city is growing by leaps and bounds and its time to stop being left behind and better ourselves.

Here are various articles from different media sources in El Paso:
Bond issue for new arena, stadiums proposed by El Paso officials - El Paso Times
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/news/el-p...d-money/nMccH/
http://www.kvia.com/news/30916480/detail.html

"City Manager Joyce Wilson said that while that may sound like a lot on the surface, the new debt for bond costs on property tax bills could peak at 27 cents per $100 valuation, up 4 cents from the current tax debt."

She also added that taxpayers won't be the only ones paying for this, partnerships with private investors, car rental tax, hotel tax and other funds from other places will also help cover the costs.

Here is more detailed info I found on the El Paso City website:
http://www.elpasotexas.gov/_document...20PM#view=fitH
http://www.elpasotexas.gov/default.asp

Last edited by Chuco; 04-18-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM

A better article came out from the El Paso Times: El Paso City Council eyes $600-$800M bond: New arena, stadiums part of Nov. ballot plan - El Paso Times

Here is a more detailed list that also came out.

Preliminary Proposals for 2012 Bond Issue
1. Multipurpose sports and entertainment facility: $150 to $180 million
2. (*)Major league soccer stadium: $100 to $120 million
3. (*)Triple-A baseball stadium: $45 to 55 million
4. Museums: $30 to $40 million
5. (**)Sun Bowl upgrades: $25 to $50 million
6. General Downtown improvements: $10 to $20 million
7. Parks, recreation and open spaces: $100 to $125 million
8. Zoo upgrades: $25 million
9. (***)Neighborhood improvement projects: $10 million
10. Library upgrades: $10 million
11. Street reconstruction: $150 to $200 million

Total: $655 to $835 million over 15 years

To view Wednesday's presentation and a complete list of preliminary proposals, visit the City of El Paso website at THE CITY OF EL PASO, TEXAS - www.elpasotexas.gov

(*) Contingent upon securing a team

(**) Contingent upon a long-term commitment to retain the annual Sun Bowl game and host major league soccer tournaments

(***)To be divided evenly among the eight representative districts

Source: City of El Paso

Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
I'll be voting YES YES YES

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I'll be voting YES YES YES
Good deal Mistabinks, I'll be asking all my friends and family to vote for this to go through. We need to catch up to other cities and make our city better. Not only am I excited about possible future stadiums and arenas but I also like that there is good money set aside for great projects like parks, museums, libraries, zoo, and fixing up our streets which we really need badly.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM

42 posts, read 122,663 times
I'll be voting YES as well... This would be excellent for the city and needs to be approved! Time to spread the word...

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 PM

21 posts, read 57,253 times
You got my vote!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Weren't the people living south of the Civic Center up in arms over this arena a few years ago, saying they were going to lose their homes and businesses to a bunch of rich, powerful people who intended to steamroller them?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyminer View Post
I'll be voting YES as well... This would be excellent for the city and needs to be approved! Time to spread the word...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPAlum View Post
You got my vote!
Woohoo! We need more people like you guys to let the word out that this plan is something we really need to move El Paso forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Weren't the people living south of the Civic Center up in arms over this arena a few years ago, saying they were going to lose their homes and businesses to a bunch of rich, powerful people who intended to steamroller them?
Probably, but that was a few years ago. The last we heard about a future arena was that it was going to be placed in an area in downtown where no residents would be moved anywhere. I even heard that a large rail yard could be a possible location.

Here are a few more internet articles about this topic (including an MLS blog about a possible future team in El Paso):
City Council Votes To Move Forward With Securing A Quality Of Life Bond - News Story - KVIA El Paso
Could El Paso be next on the MLS expansion list? | MLSsoccer.com
http://ballparkdigest.com/2012041947...ark-bond-issue

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 7,241 times
Yes! Yes!...

for me too. Cheers.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
Can we have two MLS teams in this state? I know the San Antonio Scorpions would like to move up to MLS status in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso