Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_El View Post
guys this is in the name of love here and i'm like 30 and i dunno meeting ppl in el paso is pretttttttttty hard cuz i'm a shy guy what can i say. and the cool person in juarez seems real to me! she's into the same stuff like nerdy pc games and movies and cooking. i know, the perfect girlfriend. well i am still on the fence about this even thouugh it's 100% DONT DO IT but my heart's like hey what if she makes chorizo and sopaipillas i would be mad not to go! but i dont want to be a statistic either i.e. random guy gets shot in juarez and i dont even want to get porked i just want to meet someone i connect with that's all and i tell ya i connect with her than with anyone else i've met so this is opportunity and it's calling
Have her meet you over here -- or don't meet "her". You could easily meet in some downtown cafe in El Paso. Question why it's got to be over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
I say that you should create a will, leave everything to me, and go meet this cool person in Juarez. Love will protect you.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
I would be concerned that this is a setup as well, however if you are going to go anyways, walk across the border and take a taxi and meet up in a neutral public place such as a restaurant. Do not take your own car across.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Wow...I don't think I'd do that with someone I just met online recently....Try skype first at least.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Edit: I just saw the post above, great idea, skype first!!
Does she speak english, have you talked to her on the phone? If you have and you think the magic is still there then I advise the following: Don't drive in, take a taxi to the border and walk across then get another taxi to take you to a very public destination where you an easily get another taxi back home. Pay for her taxi ride to the destination. Reverse that going back. Make the destination some place very public, a nice reputable restaurant where you can buy her lunch and talk a bit, see if there is really any magic there. Make sure this is real before you do anything more risky. The website link below has some restaurant recommendations.

Note this is what WikiTravel says about visiting Jaurez, Read the rest of it here Juarez travel guide - Wikitravel :
Quote:
WARNING: Be extremely careful in the city because of gang violence in Ciudad Juarez. Over 5000 people, including some foreigners, have been killed since the beginning of 2009. Most murders are related to the drug trade, but the city remains unsafe for anyone caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Criminal gangs that engage in extortion and kidnapping operate with near impunity. See the "Stay safe" section for more information.
Make sure a reliable friend has complete information on where you are going and who you went to see before you leave, and that they verify you made it back OK. So they can report your absence to the police if you don't make it back when you should have. Good luck and best wishes!!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_El View Post
guys this is in the name of love here and i'm like 30 and i dunno meeting ppl in el paso is pretttttttttty hard cuz i'm a shy guy what can i say. and the cool person in juarez seems real to me! she's into the same stuff like nerdy pc games and movies and cooking. i know, the perfect girlfriend. well i am still on the fence about this even thouugh it's 100% DONT DO IT but my heart's like hey what if she makes chorizo and sopaipillas i would be mad not to go! but i dont want to be a statistic either i.e. random guy gets shot in juarez and i dont even want to get porked i just want to meet someone i connect with that's all and i tell ya i connect with her than with anyone else i've met so this is opportunity and it's calling
This is starting to remind of a line in a song "my love is stronger than my fear of death".

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This is starting to remind of a line in a song "my love is stronger than my fear of death".
He might also wish he could escape to the badlands of New Mexico after he gets to Juarez, too....

Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
He might also wish he could escape to the badlands of New Mexico after he gets to Juarez, too....
I had been having the same thoughts since seeing this thread. Maybe another verse to the song is to be written?

Quote:
Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran,
Out where the horses were tied.
I caught a good one.
It looked like it could run.
Up on its back
And away I did ride,

Just as fast as I
Could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico.
--------------------------------------

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys;
Off to my left ride a dozen or more.
Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me.
I have to make it to Rosa's back door.

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.

But my love for

Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen,
Though I am weary I can't stop to rest.
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle.
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest.

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Juárez opens US office to lure tourists back to Mexico

Published on Mar 16, 2014

As tourism rebounds in Mexico, border cities are trying to attract visitors again. Ciudad Juárez is leading the way with the opening of the first visitors center on the Texas side of the border. As tourism rebounds in Mexico, border cities are trying to attract visitors again. Ciudad Juárez is leading the way with the opening of the first visitors center on the Texas side of the border. As tourism rebounds in Mexico, border cities are trying to attract visitors again. Ciudad Juárez is leading the way with the opening of the first visitors center on the Texas side of the border.

Juárez opens US office to lure tourists back to Mexico - YouTube

Related Article:

by ANGELA KOCHERGA
WFAA Border Bureau
Posted on March 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Juárez opens US office to lure tourists back to Mexico | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
I like how the article keeps repeating "As tourism rebounds in Mexico", like they're hoping that if they say it enough times, it might come true.

US Department of State Advisory dated January 9, 2014:
Quote:
Exercise caution in traveling to the business and shopping districts in the northeast section of Ciudad Juarez and its major industrial parks,.... U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to other areas of these cities and anywhere else in the state of Chihuahua and travel during daylight hours between cities. In Ciudad Juarez, personal travel by USG employees outside the north/central and northeast portion of the city near the Consulate General is restricted and private U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to those areas as well. .... Although homicide rates in Ciudad Juarez have decreased markedly from a peak several years ago, the city still has one of the highest homicide rates in Mexico. .... U.S. citizens do not, however, appear to be targeted based on their nationality.
I haven't been to Juarez since shortly after this thread started, and have no intention of crossing that border again anytime soon. There's plenty to do in El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso