Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,034 times

Advertisements

I feel safer in Juarez then some parts of Houston. Honestly, there are some very scary places overhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Juarez is safe. There is drug violence but it is not aimed at the people coming over from El Paso. If it is your intent to find trouble then you will find it, but that is true of any major city.

I prefer to walk because the bridge is so close and it is easy. If you are driving in your car it will be safe, I promise all you have to do is give the foot patrol policia four-five bucks and they will make sure of it. I know you should not bride the police but why not? You tip more for crappy service at a restaurant.

At night you will find a lot of drunks coming back over (NMSU, UTEP, and even the Fort Bliss Soldiers). It used to be a big thing for high schoolers to go party in Juarez but EPPD has cracked down on that.
I think it really depends a lot on what someone plans to do over there.

I don't think it's good to tell people it's safe. It's safe enough for the real tourist type because generally they just want to go over and shop in the tourist stores, eat in a tourist restaurant.

It's safe enough for people that speak Spanish and know what the hazards are but it's not really that safe for people who plan to drive around on their own, the curious, or the naive types of Americans who think they know more than they do.

Sometimes Americans are thrown in jail, an accident over there is never a very good idea, the laws are different. And Americans do get killed but that usually means they were somewhere they shouldn't have been, or associating with people they shouldn't have associated with -- and it's usually citizens but with close Mexican ties that run into that problem.

It's safe to go shopping in the tourist areas and if you walk or take the tourist buses.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 16,677 times
I lived in Juarez/El Paso for most of my life until I turned 23. Juarez is a great city full of wonderful activities that span way more than the tourist activities of downtown. It is however; a large border town with high crime rate. Although I go all the time and don't feel unsafe even as a small figured woman I wouldn't recommend going without being prepared. Safety precautions are like with any other major city - don't go down dark alleys, don't call unecessary attention to yourself and your belongings, etc. There are also plenty of guided tours that will drive you to different spots for shopping, sightseeing and eating.

It's an awesome city with plenty to see and do.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 18,479 times
I've lived in Juarez/El Paso all my life, and it's actually rather safe compared to other border cities, like Tijuana :| However, I wouldn't call it a "safe" city. That being said, stay away from the downtown area at night. I recommend Maria Chuchena restaurant if you want good Mexican food. It's a little expensive, but well worth it. If you're into clubbing Lincoln Avenue has lots of clubs (Juarez Avenue does too, but theyre kinda trashy, imao, plus that area is quite dangerous). For movies, the theater at Las Misiones (a mall) is great--very big and comfortable. And most movies here are shown in English, with subtitles in Spanish, unless they're kids movies or movies originally made in Spanish. Downtown has lots of little shops and places to eat. The Chamizal park, right along the border, is great too. Oh, and right now the Feria is in town. You must go there. The rides aren't great, but the food is, and drinks are very cheap. Have fun and enjoy your stay.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 PM

82 posts, read 393,094 times
I am going to be in Las Cruces next week taking a class for my masters degree. I want to go to Juarez like on a friday or saturday when my classes are not in session. I do not have a passport will it be trouble getting back accross. I am scared going by myself since I have not been there since I was a kid and I went with my family then. Where can I find a tour that goes down there? I really just want to go to the mercado and that is it. I figure anything I want is right there.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 AM

421 posts, read 2,155,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
I am going to be in Las Cruces next week taking a class for my masters degree. I want to go to Juarez like on a friday or saturday when my classes are not in session. I do not have a passport will it be trouble getting back accross. I am scared going by myself since I have not been there since I was a kid and I went with my family then. Where can I find a tour that goes down there? I really just want to go to the mercado and that is it. I figure anything I want is right there.
The border jumper is an easy way to get over there quickly and easily. The trolly leaves the civic center in downtown. If all you want to get to is the mercado be sure and ask the driver, but I think it's the last stop. My friends from wisconsin made the mistake of getting off on the first stop and they didn't have enough time to see the mercado by the time the trolley went back over to el paso.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:47 PM

82 posts, read 393,094 times
We do not have to worry about passports until January right?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM

60 posts, read 205,566 times
My wife's grandma lives in Juarez and she tells us not to come over and visit her. Save yourself the potential problem and spend your time in El Paso.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 AM

421 posts, read 2,155,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
We do not have to worry about passports until January right?
Yes, last I heard there was a 6 month extension to the passport requirement so you should be ok.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashman View Post
My wife's grandma lives in Juarez and she tells us not to come over and visit her. Save yourself the potential problem and spend your time in El Paso.
I dunno. My wife's grandmother lives in El Paso (granted, not Juarez) and she is telling us all the time not to go over to Juarez - largely I imagine for the same reasons.

But I have gone over now over 10 times and have never had a problem. I just stand by my safety thoughts though: a) Only go from morning until late afternoon...don't stick around as it gets later towards dinnertime or duskish, etc. b) Stick to the main, busy, crowded "strip" streets only. c) Act respectful, low-key, and don't get drunk. d) Ideally always go with one or more other people...especially females should never go alone.

I think if you do those four things, you'll be more than okay. But I do agree that venturing all over Juarez freely and openly at all times is probably not a wise idea.

(But yes, the point is taken that folks living in that area - especially Juarez - warn of the dangers there. I know I went with my wife one mid-afternoon just to shop for a few hours on New Year's Eve, and the guy that took our $0.35 in Juarez warned us to be careful and to be back across before it started to get dark - he didn't have to warn us twice though, we never would have stayed especially on NYE after 4pm!!)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso