Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM

879 posts, read 3,029,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If the city buys the the Times and 801 Texas buildings then we are stuck there for the long term. I'd rather a short term lease somewhere until a better long term solution is found. We a have an opportunity to do something great with city hall. I'd like to see city hall offices in the old downtown (south of the plaza) on the upper floors of older buildings. It would bring office workers downtown and stimulate shops and restaurants on the ground floors. Use the upper floors of the Popular and other buildings and/or redevelop a city block or block frontage - keep the streetscape of individual buildings but rebuild everything behind into 1 large modern office complex.
Who says we are stuck there long term? Actually some city reps have already stated that these two buildings can be sold for a profit at a later date. I think our city hall will be at these two buildings temporarily, in a few years a new modern city hall building will be planned and built at a different site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,844 times
I am not conviniced that the majority of El Pasoans will atttend and pay the price of admission to the Ball-Park. Or even pay five bucks for a hot dog. What then?? when low attendence doesn't return a "PROFIT" to the concern. El Paso Is stuck with an other empty Building. Yes I drive on the roads in the city. But would rather pay for better road conditions. Or a better Police Force and vehicles "which are in disrepair" or even more Fire fighters. Somthing that makes sense of the use of tax payer money. Not a Ball-Park that displaces a lot of buildings and services now used by the city. Like the In-sights.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,114,575 times
I don't understand the argument that El Pasoans will not attend and pay the price of admission. It is already happening. Right now. People are buying tickets and paying for concessions. The unaffiliated independent Diablos average over 3700 fans a game. Yes, sure, they have promotions and specials. So will the new team. There are quite a few fans, myself included, that will attend far more games once we have AAA quality baseball.

To be honest, Minor League Baseball does not always turn a profit. It is usually a passion project and/or quality of life project. Yes, there is where some say El Paso isn't a baseball town. Where others say because we are a border town, soccer is king here. Quack Quack Quack. The Double A El Paso Diablos routinely led the Texas League in attendance. Contrary to rumor, tickets are not going to be $25 to $40 for the new team. Sure, there will be some box seats and luxury seats at a higher price but there will be the $7 and $15 tickets will be the majority.

The majority of El Paso doesn't have to attend. This will be a slam dunk success if they can average 6700 fans a game.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,290,569 times
Actually...you don't need a majority of El Pasoans to attend the game...we have hundreds of thousands in population and the stadium will only hold 7,000 to 9,000 people...that really means only need about 1% of the total population at any given time to want to attend.....if we really want to be technical about it.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM

404 posts, read 857,065 times
I know that I will be attending these games when they become available; it will give me more of a reason to want to go downtown and watch them often.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,967 times
In case you haven't already read about it. paul Foster plans to donate to local charities. People must be shocked!

El Paso baseball team profits destined for local causes - El Paso Times

k:

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM

430 posts, read 1,335,228 times
To each their own. Some will attend and some wont. I wont be going downtown for it and I love baseball. I'm completely against the location of it. But that's not to say that it wont do well. So far all the people outside of this forum that I have spoken to about this have no plans to attend any games but once it arrives and is in full swing maybe they will go. I just wish the money was being spent to bring in a different attraction such as a decent amusement park. Time will tell how this new stadium does. And if new team doesn't suck then maybe more people will want to attend.

Now this is just my opinion but my belief is that they do not want this to be voted on by the public because they fear that the majority may vote it down. But for those who want it...then it's good news for them.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM

643 posts, read 1,307,967 times
alucard, this is just the beginning of something bigger. We need something to bring momentum to the city. I believe that this just might be it.
If you never attend a game then you will be missing out. I have children and I plan to take them to as many games as possible. Not necessarily for the game, but to bond with them and support our economy. Looking forward to it!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,114,575 times
Minor League Baseball is absolutely not about wins and losses. You are already missing the point if you would only support a winning MiLB team.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM

430 posts, read 1,335,228 times
I never said anything about winning or losing. My fav team has been losing quite a bit but I still support them. They are a damn good team that I enjoy watching even when they lose.

And it's a bit presumptuous for someone to tell me that I'd be missing out on something when they don't know a damn thing about me. As I mentioned before....to each his own.

I was only stating my opinion which I am entitled to. I was not trying to change anyones view on this nor diss anyone for wanting the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso