U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,626,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The posts so far have ignored the obvious choice, travel south. Chihuahua is an easy drive, lots of cultural opportunities, Copper Canyon, etc.
Yeah I think she wants to stay safe and remain free. Mexico has a great little side business of kidnapping Americans and holding them for ransom. Also The little Drug lord war going on down south could put a damper on her good time, you know with stray bullets and all that. So yeah..

As for the Big Bend idea.. here ya go..

Big Bend National Park Lodging

Also consider Arizona, they have many resorts as well..

Arizona Spa Resorts - Vacation Idea.com

Good luck KimK, let us know where you went and how it was once your back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 102,974 times
Actually, the military discourages soldiers from going to Mexico. I think it is discouraged to the point where Fort Bliss lowered the drinking age on post to 18 years old for all enlisted soldiers just to keep them on this side of the border. My husband would need special permission to cross the border from his commanding officer, anyway. I've been to Mexico several times in the past, but I went by plane or ship and I really don't have my heart set on driving. But, thanks anyway.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 AM

You know I forgot about that. Carries some serious punishment too, if your caught over there.

Since I am no longer work with the DA police, I don't have a black list of the places military can not or should not go.. do you happen to have that list MSDREA29?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,067,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah I think she wants to stay safe and remain free. Mexico has a great little side business of kidnapping Americans and holding them for ransom. Also The little Drug lord war going on down south could put a damper on her good time, you know with stray bullets and all that. So yeah..

Good luck KimK, let us know where you went and how it was once your back.
dont believe the Hype, It's NOT that bad. I would actually feel safer walking down downtown Chihuahua then downtown HOUSTON. Is there crime? off course no place is perfect but please keep things in perspective, in all my years of travelind down there I have neever been even close to a) shootout b) kidnapping c) Robbed. But here in the Houston area a Texans football player was recently robbed and he and family tied up during a Home Invasion. So go figure.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM

When the US Military says stay out of Mexico, you stay out of Mexico.. also Lipbalm, I worked in Law enforcement in El Paso TX, I am a private investigator, and know first hand what goes on across the boarder.. don't be fooled by your run of luck over there. So no hype here.. all first hand knowledge.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 PM

Sorry Muhnay, I don't have a list. My husband takes it upon himself to educate me on dos and don'ts. He knows if he doesn't I can get in some serious trouble. Because, if never warned, I would be all over the place.
Not being funny, but I am taking your advice and moving back home to work for Dad. I grew up on the coast by the beach and my husband is from the Islands, so it's certainly something that I miss a lot. I will leave in December. But, I am still gonna visit the resort before I go. My husband will be gone for 15 months and I don't like being alone, nor have I ever lived alone. I have a hard enough time not sleeping when he's in the field.
You actually opened my eyes, and my father called and said he needed the help. I'm sort of a stickler on health and safety issues, and I will be beneficial.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdrea29 View Post
Sorry Muhnay, I don't have a list. My husband takes it upon himself to educate me on dos and don'ts. He knows if he doesn't I can get in some serious trouble. Because, if never warned, I would be all over the place.
Not being funny, but I am taking your advice and moving back home to work for Dad. I grew up on the coast by the beach and my husband is from the Islands, so it's certainly something that I miss a lot. I will leave in December. But, I am still gonna visit the resort before I go. My husband will be gone for 15 months and I don't like being alone, nor have I ever lived alone. I have a hard enough time not sleeping when he's in the field.
You actually opened my eyes, and my father called and said he needed the help. I'm sort of a stickler on health and safety issues, and I will be beneficial.
I wish you well, and I hope your father has continued success, not only for his sake but for yours.

As a Former Soldier, one who served over in Kuwait during the first round of this long drawn out fight.. I know we have more defense up there than we did when I was there. I know we have protection from blackwater and other like security agency's and some nice bases built there now. Not that it is not hell and a pain in the butt to be there.. but think of it more as Korea than as the middle east. Its a hardship tour.. and it wont be long before he is back in your loving arms and your in his. Separation makes the heart grow fonder, or so they say. I know none of this is helping.. it was told to me once too. The Pain and the worry is still there. I can only hope and wish for the best and that you are both reunited happy and healthy and can put this behind you and move forward in your lives.

May I ask what Beach you lived off of.. I so want to move back to the beach myself.

Good luck.. to you and yours.

P.S. I think its a good idea you moving back home, being close to a support system, and having a job you enjoy, and hey you get to work with your dad, how cool is that? It will also relieve your husband some knowing your safe. So he can do what he needs to do and stay safe as well. Take care.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM

You know, having another prior soldier to reassure you does help. Initially, he was going to Iraq and he told me that Kuwait was much better and it helps to here it from someone else. Especially, someone who has been there and done that. But, I pray that he will be OK.
Myrtle Beach, SC is the place. It's nice there and a big retirement town, but bike week (both of them-In May) seem to put a damper on that feeling. Afterwards, back to normal. The weather is nice most of the year, but hurricane season will give you second thougts. As long as I can remember, there was only one major hurricane (Hugo 1989) that hit. Major it was, no electricity for over 3 weeks. Other than that, there are other beaches an hour or so from here. You should visit and check it out. If you ever get the chance, Hilton Head is nice also. More expensive than Myrtle Beach.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdrea29 View Post
You know, having another prior soldier to reassure you does help. Initially, he was going to Iraq and he told me that Kuwait was much better and it helps to here it from someone else. Especially, someone who has been there and done that. But, I pray that he will be OK.
Myrtle Beach, SC is the place. It's nice there and a big retirement town, but bike week (both of them-In May) seem to put a damper on that feeling. Afterwards, back to normal. The weather is nice most of the year, but hurricane season will give you second thougts. As long as I can remember, there was only one major hurricane (Hugo 1989) that hit. Major it was, no electricity for over 3 weeks. Other than that, there are other beaches an hour or so from here. You should visit and check it out. If you ever get the chance, Hilton Head is nice also. More expensive than Myrtle Beach.
My sister and her husband went though Hugo, they were at the Air Force Base there.. they had a mobile home off base, but they moved them on post for safety. I want to say Shaw AFB.. but I am not sure. Kuwait is like paradise compared to Iraq. Don't get me wrong still the middle east.. but they have burger kings on the post there, and even PX buildings and nice barracks. A friend of mine is a Manager for Burger King on post and he went and spent a year there in Kuwait. So even civilians working for the military can go, so that should tell you its not as bad.. and the security measures are more enforced there.. not like the fox holes we slept in with oil wells burning and blocking out the sun, and making it hard to breath.. yeah he will have it much better. Oh hey he should be able to visit the lan center there and talk to you online, via video internet communications.. so if you have a computer get a camera for it so you can talk face to face.

But Yeah I will make sure to check out the area.. Hurricanes don't scare me so much.. they give you some warning most of the time. I met many cool people from that part of the world while working for the DA police at the bowling center all part of the Reserves there getting trained to go over to the big desert.. Dont worry too much all will be alright.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 AM

9 posts, read 41,859 times
If you like camping, hiking as I do, I suggest Gila it's about a 3 hour trip. It's full of history,
I was only 14 years old when I first went there.
We stayed for a week, hiked the Cliffs, enjoyed the hot springs, and the cliff dwellings.
Silver City isn't far from there a town full of history.
Me and my husband plan on taking a trip up there in Nov.
White sands is great, and even better is Bottomless lake area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso