Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 PM

404 posts, read 860,421 times

Advertisements

Given the circumstances that Alabama is in the South and they are very traditional prejudice racist people, whites on blacks, blacks on whites, blacks/whites and "yes even some Hispanics" on Hispanics, It's very understandable and very Arizona arrogance and racial mentality.
So then why are you delaying from moving away from such a terrible hateful environment towards immigrants and minorities? These people are in their own domain,they can easily practice abuse of authority and civil rights violations so even law enforcement including judges are going to be corrupted and for sure they will profile anyone they feel like.
Yet their biggest priority is profiling Hispanics since they can get away with it;Your family wont have those kind of racial issues here in El Paso, but if you feel that you can find some place better then remember you are in a free country for some exceptions.
It is sad that you had to see and experience that some parts of the United States haven't changed in over 150 years, I see tourist commercials on TV advertising all these Southern States including Alabama here in El Paso and I only say to myself; Who in their right mind would ever want to vacation there, only the same kind of people as them I would guess.
Have you ever been to El Paso before? since you are from San Antonio don't think that El Paso is like San Antonio, because even San Antonio and other parts of Texas can be deceiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiaz1017 View Post
Read up on the Alabama Immigration Here-You will see that anyone the police believes may be illegal has to provide documentation...know the facts at least before you attack.
By the way-here in Alabama, anyone that is brown is considered potentially illegal
Alabama to enforce strict immigration laws - CBS News
The Alabama and Arizona Racial Profiling Laws - National Immigration Law Center

They even arrest Germans Auto Execs here for not carrying proper documentation while they are here in the state working...read about that here-
Alabama red-faced as second foreign car boss held under immigration law | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

16 posts, read 19,805 times
@Ms Kitty, good questions-we are trying to get out of here as soon as possible. My husband took this position because it was one of those mandatory kind of job transfers. We did come here for a couple of days, but considering we didn't know anyone it was very difficult to get any real information. We saw the beautiful landscape, chose a rental home in what seemed to be a nice/safe neighborhood, and let them pack up our things and moved. We did of course know the Hispanic community was small, but we didn't care about that particularly as we are just average American folks who have very diverse families and like all kinds of people. About 1 month after our arrival the immigration law passed and that is when all hell broke loose. All of the sudden everybody openly hated Mexicans (Asians have very similar problems as I have been told by several Asian members of the community). We did owe my husbands company a full year for his relocation-so we were essentially stuck for a year. Now the year is up, and he is entertaining offers in different locations.

He said no to Indianapolis, not because of the demographic, but because the position would have required him to travel about 50% of the time, and with 5 young kids we would rather him not travel so much. He has also gotten offers in California-but those don't pay enough to cover the cost of living, and Georgia (we don't want to stay in the deep South). He has potential opportunities in Wisconsin and Minnesota as well, but El Paso right now is first on the list-as we really want to get back to Texas.

He has been to El Paso, once for a visit when he was in College in the early mid 90's, and once here recently for his first on-site visit. I have never visited, but have heard about the area from previous friends and neighbors. I am very comfortable in an area with a big military presence, as we lived in an area right near Randolph Air Force Base in an SA suburb. The racial demographic is also certainly more similar between El Paso and SA than Birmingham and SA.

So, no drama, but what we have experienced here is quite awful, and I could go on for days with examples that we have first hand. Also, ultimately you can take the girl out of Texas but you can't take the Texas out of the girl.

Thanks again for any helpful info!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,175 times
MDiaz, no one who posts here speaks for all of El Paso. El Paso has grown leaps and bounds over the past 16ish years that I have lived here. You will be fine bi-racial, mono-racial or whatever you may be. The world is more tolerant now. I do not think you will find a place where you don't encounter some sort of racism. That is just a sad fact.

So welcome to El Paso if you choose to come here and make the most of it. Don't be bitter about past experiences and learn from them. Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,546 times
West ep is where your family would fit best. Lots of great gt programs in episd. Traffic is easy in the area! My 5th grader loves er programs at Lundy!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM

422 posts, read 1,294,664 times
This thread was/is a roller coaster ride. A little spice for the el paso city forums! @OP....El Paso is a great place to live/work/play. It is a city that needs to be explored to get all the benefits from it and the surrounding areas. Our medical facilities are constantly improving and other aspects of our city are improving as well. If your husband has a solid job offer in El Paso, you could do a lot worse...El Paso is a fine place to move to and live your life!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM

16 posts, read 19,805 times
My husband is heading back out to El Paso on September 11th and 12th to have one more interview and is likely to receive a job offer. As most everyone has suggested the west side of town would probably be the most suitable. After all that I have read and my husbands visits we agree. The dilemma is that the job would be on the East side at Sierra Providence East Medical Center. Based on the map it is about 30 miles or so from the areas suggested. From the locals that might know-how is that drive? Is it a fast 30 miles or a miserable slow 30 miles? If you think it would be completely miserable, other suggestions about neighborhoods and schools would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,664 times
You are looking at about a 35 minute drive to get over there from the west side. Taking Trans-Mountain/375 is probably the quickest route. Another route would be I10 to US54 to Spur 601 to Loop 375. If you felt like feeling some driving pain, you could always take I-10 alll the way down to Loop 375....although that's gambling that there won't be any accidents and subsequent rubbernecking that will delay you another 15 min.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
If you choose to live on the East side or have to be within a certain time limit to the office: Burgess and Eastwood would be some good locations to consider.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
whoops...duplicate post removed.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
mdiaz1017:The dilemma is that the job would be on the East side at Sierra Providence East Medical Center.
If I were the one looking forward to a job in far east El Paso, I would never consider living on the west side.

There are just as nice homes in the Vista Del Sol country club area that are just minutes away from the medical center.

And it would be preposterous to use Trans-mountain as the "fastest route" from the Coronado CC club area on the west side. The only reasonable route from the west side to the medical center is IH-10 to either Joe Battle or Zaragosa roads.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso