Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM
 
9 posts, read 24,167 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

All,

I am new here and have been looking at threads for several hours so forgive me if I was unable to find this information by searching. I have spent a total of about 36 hours in El Paso and am accepting a position there - planning to move in about a month.

1) Are there distinct differences between West and East? I realize splitting the city into halves is not fair as each "half" incorporates various neighborhoods, but generally, what would you say? I have researched real estate a great deal and it seems the West side has more of the long established neighborhoods and the far, far east is brand new and (seemingly) lacking amenities.

2) What sort of drive should I expect if I live on the West side and commute to Ft. Bliss (a time range, anyway)? It looks like I-10 is the preferred route, but it is, of course, not very direct.

3) I am 33, educated, single, never married if you have any tips (neighborhoods or otherwise).

4) Some important items for me: Quality grocery stores, educated people nearby, access to social activities (for singles), getting away from areas dominated by chain stores and restaurants, etc. (I've gotten jaded because it's all I have in my current city, not a snob). I'd much prefer an authentic experience and support local businesses.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Glory Road - El Paso, Texas (R.O)
2,619 posts, read 6,135,058 times
Reputation: 1846
West Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Sacramento Mtns of NM
4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Reputation: 3738
I don't think there is an easy answer to your questions. The west side is by far the smaller area of residential neighborhoods - but a high concentration of commercial outlets. The east side is more spread out and flatter geologically, with most of the shopping concentrated along the IH-10 and IH-54 corridors. But there are plenty of chain stores and shopping centers scattered around the area too.

I would recommend renting until you get a feel for where it is you would like to live long term (if that is going to be). There are nice upscale neighborhoods on the east slopes of the mountain but the west side slopes have a larger selection. I personally would NOT buy on the west side if I knew my employment was going to be at Ft. Bliss for any length of time. I've commuted from the west side to my job at the refinery complex on the east side, and it got old quickly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
 
47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Reputation: 22474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blerg View Post
All,

I am new here and have been looking at threads for several hours so forgive me if I was unable to find this information by searching. I have spent a total of about 36 hours in El Paso and am accepting a position there - planning to move in about a month.

1) Are there distinct differences between West and East? I realize splitting the city into halves is not fair as each "half" incorporates various neighborhoods, but generally, what would you say? I have researched real estate a great deal and it seems the West side has more of the long established neighborhoods and the far, far east is brand new and (seemingly) lacking amenities.

2) What sort of drive should I expect if I live on the West side and commute to Ft. Bliss (a time range, anyway)? It looks like I-10 is the preferred route, but it is, of course, not very direct.

3) I am 33, educated, single, never married if you have any tips (neighborhoods or otherwise).

4) Some important items for me: Quality grocery stores, educated people nearby, access to social activities (for singles), getting away from areas dominated by chain stores and restaurants, etc. (I've gotten jaded because it's all I have in my current city, not a snob). I'd much prefer an authentic experience and support local businesses.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Yes there are distinct differences but a whole lot fewer than there used to be. More and more it's just the same kind of housing subdivisions going up everywhere. The East side just has more of them but the West side also has a lot of new housing, tons of sprawl and a lot more going up.

El Paso used to be like 5 small towns that bumped up against each other physically, each had it's own feel but that's not so apparent anymore.

The East side isn't lacking amentities, it's just all newer and more sprawling. The same grocery stores and restaurants can be found in all parts of town. You'll find the same chains everywhere. It depends on what you mean by authentic experience -- for that maybe the South side or Central or parts of the Northeast.

As for the commute from the West side to Fort Bliss -- one little fender bender on I-10 and traffic can be backed up and comes to a crawl for miles, a serious crash and it comes to a complete stop. The East side has more alternate routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
 
9 posts, read 24,167 times
Reputation: 14
Great info so far everyone. Thank you!

@joqua The east slopes of the mountain - is this 79930? Or 79904? Both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Sacramento Mtns of NM
4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blerg View Post
Great info so far everyone. Thank you!

@joqua The east slopes of the mountain - is this 79930? Or 79904? Both?
For single family residential it would be that portion of 79904 above (west of) Alabama.

For apartment complexes, it is both zip codes.

These zip codes began developing about the same time as the north half of the 79902 area on the west side of the mountain. Kern Place is the oldest neighborhood with Mesita being the city limit up until about 1950. Wm. Beaumont Hospital was the northern extremity of the city before 1950 with Logan Heights being the older neighborhood. The eastern limit of the city in 1950 was about where Loretto Academy is located - if we don't look at Ft. Bliss as being part of the city limits at that time. The refinery complexes on Trowbridge were outside the city limits back then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM
 
643 posts, read 1,312,876 times
Reputation: 796
Seems to me that you would benefit from the Kern Place area (WS). There are tons of things to do within walking distance and the homes seem to be of more affluent people. It is also in close proximity of the college (UTEP) and all the nightlife. I would suggest you start off with a short term lease and decide where you want to be within 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 2,830,573 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
For single family residential it would be that portion of 79904 above (west of) Alabama.

For apartment complexes, it is both zip codes.

Alabama or Magnetic (I think Alabama Street becomes Magnetic Street at Atlas Avenue). North of Hondo Pass Avenue you have Castner Range, unused Army land filled with old unexploded ordnance, with no development except the Museum of Archaeology and Border Patrol Museums on Woodrow Bean Trans-Mountain Road for about three miles. You've got some houses sort of in the foothills in 79934 west of Martin Luther King Boulevard, but not on the slopes, just below them.

I think the Mayfield Terrace area of 79930 (on the mountain around the western end of Nashville Avenue) has some fairly upscale homes (Tom Lea, the artist, once lived in this area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: El Paso -- the beautiful west side
43 posts, read 125,370 times
Reputation: 70
Default betwixt and between

hello blerg! hope all of this info helps. personally, i'm single and widowed and had contemplated leaving el paso all togther, but truly there's no better place on earth if weather, climate and health are important to you. i've lived on the northeast (79924) as well as west side (79912) and can tell you more if you care to write (i've befriended you via citi-data). i don't want to give any side of town a bad name, but i also know that west side has changed incredibly (for the better in some ways and not so better in others) since 2007. i am definitely moving at the point my lease expires here, as my own complex has had two changes of management and a change of ownership since jan 2012 -- and it's gone to the proverbial dogs (of hell). what was once a truly spectacular complex is now nothing short of ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
 
404 posts, read 860,295 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapeel View Post
hello blerg! hope all of this info helps. personally, i'm single and widowed and had contemplated leaving el paso all togther, but truly there's no better place on earth if weather, climate and health are important to you. i've lived on the northeast (79924) as well as west side (79912) and can tell you more if you care to write (i've befriended you via citi-data). i don't want to give any side of town a bad name, but i also know that west side has changed incredibly (for the better in some ways and not so better in others) since 2007. i am definitely moving at the point my lease expires here, as my own complex has had two changes of management and a change of ownership since jan 2012 -- and it's gone to the proverbial dogs (of hell). what was once a truly spectacular complex is now nothing short of ghetto.
If you are renting from Case Management or Riverstone I heard that they are bad news landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top