U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM

879 posts, read 2,993,263 times

Advertisements

Wow, they will be really close to each other.

Cinemark is going to have 14 screens, including the city's third XD screen

Quote:
The new theater will include the following amenities:
• State-of-the-art viewing environment with wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screens available in all auditoriums
• 4K digital projection powered by Barco projectors; RealD 3D capability
• Enhanced sound systems that will enable customers to hear the movie as the filmmakers intended
• Cinemark's innovative self-serve concession stand - offering freshly-popped popcorn, Coca-Cola fountain beverages and favorite candy brands
• Cinemark XD: Extreme Digital Cinema auditorium
Carmike is going to have 13 screens and will include the city's first "BIGD" auditorium.

Quote:
Expected to draw area movie-goers from across the region to the "BIGD" Experience will be its totally enhanced theatre amenities, including a wall-to-wall screen measuring over 81 feet wide and three stories tall, enhanced by the latest in 7.1 surround sound and DIGITAL projection of both 2D and 3D features. In technical terms, Carmike's "BIGD" DIGITAL Experience is powered by a cutting-edge Christie Brilliant 3D flash projector. The end result is a light output of 30,000 lumens, creating a picture quality with noticeably higher resolution than HD.

The "BIGD" environment will be further embellished by the comfort of plush leather high-back rocking seats placed for optimal viewing in a stadium-seating configuration. - in either 3-D or 2-D DIGITAL - Carmike has the full capability to provide our audiences with the technology and total luxury that brings theatergoing to a new level."

The Carmike 13 will also contain large, wall-to-wall screens, as well as DLP
DIGITAL projection and DIGITAL sound. The new theatre will have an upscale lobby and multiple concession areas featuring Coca Cola Freestyle drink centers. One-stop ticketing and concessions stations are a unique design feature of
the Carmike 13.
There is a picture of the BigD screen at this link - Carmike Cinemas - Promotions and Contests

WOW! 81 ft wide screen and three stories tall! The XD screen is pretty impressive too, they are 72 foot wide screens like IMAX screens. Pretty impressive to have all these screens including 2 really large screens all within a mile of each other.

The El Paso Development News Blog, is saying that the Carmike 13 might be the first tenant of the El Cruzero, which is a 230 acre multi-use planned development.
El Paso Development News - has pictures of what this planned community might look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,019,336 times
Something to keep in mind, IMAX now simply licenses out there name. Most, not all, but most of the new IMAX theaters and/or screens are not the 5 story tall monsters many are envisioning. We are not that bad off with XD and BigD.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Something to keep in mind, IMAX now simply licenses out there name. Most, not all, but most of the new IMAX theaters and/or screens are not the 5 story tall monsters many are envisioning. We are not that bad off with XD and BigD.
Well I guess now we will have an IMAX theater as well as XD and BigD.

Premiere Cinema to bring IMAX to town in '13 - El Paso Times

I like this news, since I live close to Bassett. Also it will help out the mall and bring more visitors there from all over the area.

When I lived in Cali, I loved going to the IMAX theaters over there and I've also loved seeing a few films at the XD theater at Tinseltown here in recent years. I also plan on checking out the new BigD at the new Carmike on the Eastside, and now looking forward to seeing movies at the new IMAX by my house also. Things are looking great for movie fans in El Paso.

Also just noticed another Times article on the booming movie theater industry in El Paso
Link: Movie theater industry booms in El Paso, with additions - El Paso Times
Quote:
Carmike's Mayton boasted of his company's BigD auditorium, featuring a three-story-tall, 81-foot-wide, wall-to-wall screen. Cinemark's Meredith touted its Extreme Digital, or XD auditorium, with a 72-foot, wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screen. And Premiere's Moore boasted about IMAX's six-story-tall, 75-foot-wide screen and proprietary, digital remastering of Hollywood blockbusters to fit IMAX's big screen.
Nice!

Last edited by Chuco; 09-16-2012 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: Added new link

Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM

422 posts, read 1,273,193 times
Not a bad article...but can we get a report that asks questions about the future...such as...what are the plans for the west side and far northeast. Why didn't he call Regal and AMC to gauge their interest in coming to the El Paso market?

Excited for Basset though and also the far east side.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,019,336 times
Good stuff Chuco!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Default west side cinemark bistro

the west side actually is getting a new movie theatre.
[url=http://elpaso411.com/2013/01/cinemark-movie-bistro-coming-to-sunland-park-mall/]Cinemark Movie Bistro Coming to Sunland Park Mall | El Paso 411[/url]

Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 20,086 times
I'm all for a theater in that area, but does it seriously need 2 of them right next to each other?!! Seriously that's redundant, I think the less competitive one (the one w/o the BigD Screen) should be built in Horizon, they definitely need/deserve one! 15 years ago the area of the eastside from george dieter to loop 375 was nothing but flat desert and occasional industrial centers, that same type of development is going to happen from loop 375 to horizon in 15 more years. Secondly, it'll contribute to a reduction in pollution created from the exhaust of people from Horizon, Clint, San Eli, Socorro, or Tornillo driving all the way into El Paso to watch a new release. So much madness, it's only going to add congestion to that part of montana like there is in zaragoza \(-_-)/

Last edited by clockworkkchris; 01-14-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,436,486 times
I think the area around the Monticello development on Mesa Street would've been a great place for a smaller movie theatre.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,225,385 times
I remember the AMC Alto Mesa (Alto Mesa and Mesa in front of Savers) and The University (north of UTEP). Alto Mesa was poorly located and must have been one of the last non-stadium seating theaters built.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM

The Carmike 13-screen movie theater complex that was planned in the Eastside has been officially canceled. They are claiming that its taking too long to get water and sewage lines set up, so it would take too long to start construction of the theater. The new Cinemark 14-screen theater is already under construction about a mile from this location, so I'm thinking this also had something to do with the decision to cancel this project.

I was kind of curious to see Carmike's BigD theater that was going to open in this location, so thats kind of a bummer. The new Cinemark that is going to open at Montana and Rich Beam will have an XD theater and the IMAX theater at Bassett should be opening within the next year, so I guess we are ok.

Carmike Cinemas cancels plans for East El Paso movie theater - El Paso Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso