Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times

Advertisements

After being away from El Paso for many years, I spent some time back there last year. One thing I noticed there last time were so many empty boarded up houses from about downtown to around Chelsea or Raynor St. Does anyone know how it got like that? Most property owners try to sell or lease out the property. Why didn't these property owners care? I didn't see any real estate signs on those properties, just abandoned and boarded up. Do those owners simply send a check every year for their property taxes and that's all that the city cares, so they're good to go? Why not just demolish them? It's just odd how there are all these new communities developed all over the edges of the city, while the older areas in and around its core are allowed to decay. And don't get me started on all those unused buildings in downtown El Paso. At least the news did some stories about them while I was there. Come to think of it, I think I even saw a bunch of homes in the northeast part of town just beyond the central area that had gone to pot. Did all these people who used to live there get old and die and just not leave the property in their estate? I can't see how this happens and on such a large scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
After being away from El Paso for many years, I spent some time back there last year. One thing I noticed there last time were so many empty boarded up houses from about downtown to around Chelsea or Raynor St. Does anyone know how it got like that? Most property owners try to sell or lease out the property. Why didn't these property owners care? I didn't see any real estate signs on those properties, just abandoned and boarded up. Do those owners simply send a check every year for their property taxes and that's all that the city cares, so they're good to go? Why not just demolish them? It's just odd how there are all these new communities developed all over the edges of the city, while the older areas in and around its core are allowed to decay. And don't get me started on all those unused buildings in downtown El Paso. At least the news did some stories about them while I was there. Come to think of it, I think I even saw a bunch of homes in the northeast part of town just beyond the central area that had gone to pot. Did all these people who used to live there get old and die and just not leave the property in their estate? I can't see how this happens and on such a large scale.
Yeah, while urban sprawl continues apace at the outer edges of town, here is a way to build up areas that are already part of the city that's just sitting there waiting to be taken advantage of (along with developing vacant lots that can be developed). If the property owners are just going to let these houses sit empty and rot and become public nuisances, maybe the city should tell them to either sell them to somebody who'll live there, or rent them out, or the city will take the houses away and do it for them.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,348 times
inner core development is slowly happening, but not quickly enough. Some of these homes need a lot of work and many potential homeowners either don't have the money needed or don't want to get stuck with a home improvement loan.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
inner core development is slowly happening, but not quickly enough. Some of these homes need a lot of work and many potential homeowners either don't have the money needed or don't want to get stuck with a home improvement loan.
I would think that a lot of these houses need work. There are places where city governments can seize, fix up and resell abandoned houses if the owners want to just let them sit there empty and deteriorate and become eyesores and breed vermin and attract vandals, metal thieves, dopers, etc. If the city can't sell them, they can at least maintain them, and doesn't HUD give people vouchers through the Section 8 program and the city housing authority? They can keep the houses occupied that way if more well-heeled people aren't interested.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
This happens because the motto of the developer, is to make as many dwellings as possible, as cheap as possible, and ignore the economy. This is how landscape gets destroyed, and slums are created.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
I honestly think that they are waiting for a payday. All the houses are near the freeway and ready for redevelopment. At least those are the ones I think you're talking about. Right off of I-10?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I honestly think that they are waiting for a payday. All the houses are near the freeway and ready for redevelopment. At least those are the ones I think you're talking about. Right off of I-10?

I agree. Central El Paso is ripe for redevelopment. It would be nice for a revamped 5 points area.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
Smooth it has already begun. There are new restaurants and coffee shops that are beginning to sprout up. Maybe not at the scale of downtown, but people are seeing the value in restoring the 5 points area.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
Smooth it has already begun. There are new restaurants and coffee shops that are beginning to sprout up. Maybe not at the scale of downtown, but people are seeing the value in restoring the 5 points area.

That is great!! The area is really pretty due to being at the foot of the Franklins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso