Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,909 times

Advertisements

1im buying a home by desert sage which is to the left of oreilys on eastlake ending.
i have lived on the east all my life this will be our first home though and you cant beat the prices, it seems like the homes all dropped value and they are super cheap. the best part is USDA loan you put no down payment and PMI is only .04% instead of 1.25%.i was gonna buy a home on kearny and suncity which is right by rojas. heres a couple of questions for those who live in the area...

1) someone told me that since u no longer use el paso water company that there is an anual water tax? the lady said she pays $1,900 at the end of the year. thats ridiculous! how can that be true? maybe shes too old to know what she pays? what are the diference in utilities, water, electricity, gas, disposal as compared to el paso? i see the trash cans are black lol..

2) are they building a walmart and tinseltown?

3) i went to go see the house were buying. it was INFESTED with black widows! i have no kids but 2 toy poodles which i wanted to have in and out w a doggy door. the garage had 2 HUGE webs with 2 diferent black widows, and each one had 10-15 eggs! its gross, and my girlfriend is wanting to back out due to this! i noticed some outside as well...how do you guys get rid of them? like 100%?

4) i see a ton of sheriffs, is there alot of traffic stops there?

what else would you guys recommend? any info, pros and cons i have not mentioned please bring up! need help ASAP as we are closing next week and can still back out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,070 times
Get the home inspected and fumigated. You will get animals wanting to come in from the cold (once it does get cold). Horizon is not my first choice, but they are expanding and gettting new choices in restaurants etc...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM

but will they b a hazard to my dogs? do i fumigate myself or get a professional?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM

I would get a professional. They know what, where and how to spray. Try and be present so that you can ask all the questions. Depending on how far you are on the outskirts you will come across scorpions, vinegaroons, black widows, etc... Your dogs have instincts and will know to stay away from them. Good luck and congrats on the new house!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanx what about the water taxes and utilities

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Your taxes will be included in your house payment, unless you choose to pay it. Your utilities will be paid by you. I really hope you know that getting a home is a big responsibility. It seems to me that you are pretty new to even renting.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM

No I know all of that what I'm saying if you read my questions is someone told me every year they pay $1900 for water taxes plus their bills. That's what I'm asking I'm used to paying monthly bills and taxes

Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
Not the greatest place for quality of life, but if you're already on the Eastside it's not much of a change. And YES, the Sheriffs in Horizon are jerks. The entire town is essentially a giant speedtrap, and as these guys have nothing better to do will pull you over for going even 5 over the limit.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimola View Post
1) someone told me that since u no longer use el paso water company that there is an anual water tax? the lady said she pays $1,900 at the end of the year. thats ridiculous! how can that be true? maybe shes too old to know what she pays? what are the diference in utilities, water, electricity, gas, disposal as compared to el paso? i see the trash cans are black lol..
Not true for you. Folks who bought property in Horizon back in the 1960's and early '70's pay assessment fees to the Horizon Communities Improvement Association of $14 per year. Many have stopped paying and have brought law suits against the association as they see no improvements being made. But as I stated earlier, this doesn't pertain to you. If you're still in doubt, ask your realtor.

Quote:
Yes and no. Construction for a Walmart Super Center is to begin some time next year. Location will be at the southwest corner of Horizon Blvd and Darrington Rd. No movie theaters yet.

Quote:
3) i went to go see the house were buying. it was INFESTED with black widows! i have no kids but 2 toy poodles which i wanted to have in and out w a doggy door. the garage had 2 HUGE webs with 2 diferent black widows, and each one had 10-15 eggs! its gross, and my girlfriend is wanting to back out due to this! i noticed some outside as well...how do you guys get rid of them? like 100%?
Do a google search for Sun Country Pest Control. He's in Horizon and guarantees his work.

Quote:
Simple. Don't speed and you won't be stopped - and yes, there a lot of law enforcement officers who live in Horizon and who patrol the area. A low crime rate in Horizon can also be attributed to this.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimola View Post
1im buying a home by desert sage which is to the left of oreilys on eastlake ending.
i have lived on the east all my life this will be our first home though and you cant beat the prices, it seems like the homes all dropped value and they are super cheap. the best part is USDA loan you put no down payment and PMI is only .04% instead of 1.25%.i was gonna buy a home on kearny and suncity which is right by rojas. heres a couple of questions for those who live in the area...

what else would you guys recommend? any info, pros and cons i have not mentioned please bring up! need help ASAP as we are closing next week and can still back out

We just moved to Horizon about 6 months ago and that is so not true about the water !! The utilities are all the same as El Paso. I pay $15.00 for gas, $30.00 for water, electric $77.00 but I have refrigeration. We have found black widows outside but not inside. But we live down darrington to antwerp at the Vista Serena homes which are energy efficient so we dont have any bugs inside. There prices are great because they pay all your closing cost. My husband uses Ortho spray outside and that seems to have gotten rid of all spiders. There are a lot of sheriffs & State Troppers but only because these people tend to speed alot out here. Now as far as a Walmart being buit...Yes they already started it on Horizon & Darrington but I have not heard a word about no tinseltown. Good Luck on your new home !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso